Halloween Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I always wondered how they got the individual rice krispies colored differently, and so I put a cup of of them in a zip lock baggie and put in some red and yellow liquid food coloring and shook to coat them all, then took another cup and did the same with liquid black food coloring. Then I let them dry overnight.

Then today I made the Rice Krispie Treats as usual, (although I doubled it): ten cups Rice Krispies, two bags of the forty count big marshmallows, and six tablespoons of butter. When the butter/marshmallow mix was all melted, I added the undyed Rice Krispies first, then the dyed ones. I thought if I added the dyed ones first to the hot marshmallow mix it might turn the marshmallow mix an unsavory color.

Also, the orange and black dyed Rice Krispies were stale tasting, but after mixing them with the regular ones it all tastes just fine and I couldn't notice any staleness.

So here is the end result:

rice_krispies.jpg

I would imagine they would look more colorful if the same amount of colored Krispies were used (2 cups) and the recipe was not doubled. I'll try that next time, hoping that the staleness of the colored Krispies will not affect a single batch.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Those look delicious! Like the colored krispies added like confetti. We have a school tailgate late in Oct. that I think I might make these for. Thanks!!
You are very welcome.

I'm having a Halloween party for my kids and their friends. There are quite a few things I wanted to bake, meringue bones, decorated cupcakes, whoopie pies, shortbread monster fingers, etc. and I realized I was thinking too big for my time and abilities. Darn those baking magazines at the checkout! But these Krispie treats are so easy and festive looking that they'll be a nice addition to just a couple of other things I think I can manage.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
They look yummy! You know, another option if you don't want to take the time to dye crispies or worry if they are going to be too stale is to add the orange & black sprinkles to the mix of rice crispies. Yours are much more authentic, but I'm always on the lookout for shortcuts when it comes to making food! LOL!

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They look yummy! You know, another option if you don't want to take the time to dye crispies or worry if they are going to be too stale is to add the orange & black sprinkles to the mix of rice crispies. Yours are much more authentic, but I'm always on the lookout for shortcuts when it comes to making food! LOL!
Ahh, yes that sounds good, too. I've also seen them with icing on top - likely it's that hard royal icing or something similar.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
I was thinking I might make rice krispy treats and ice them in chocolate. I have a headstone cookie cutter I think would work well with them.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Ive made black RCT by just addinfblack to the melted marshmellow mixtures with the desired results.(for Christmas Coal or Halloween). Orange food coloring would give you the desired orange results.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ive made black RCT by just addinfblack to the melted marshmellow mixtures with the desired results.(for Christmas Coal or Halloween). Orange food coloring would give you the desired orange results.
That sounds easier than what I did and likely turned out more colorful. Thanks!

·
Registered
149 Posts
If you wanted to give your RCT's more color, the only other option i could come up with is to dip the treats into a frosting made of powdered sugar, water and orange or black coloring.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts