Halloween Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Halloween Prop Building Group established yesterday in the Social Groups section of our site is now looking for volunteers interested in teaching what they do best! Volunteers will be scheduled on a in house calendar. Thirty days prior to the startup of the class we need a materials list for all those taking the class to have time to purchase anything needed or to ask questions about finding materials.

We ask if you teach to please make sure you have time to take the class from start to finish and to please be able to take pictures as we move along on the project. Some projects may not have photo's but its very difficult to move along without them.

We are still in the process of figuring out where the classes will go here on the board but for right now if you are interested in teaching please join our group & post your project in the Social Section & we will be working on a calendar very soon.

·
Master of my own Universe
969 Posts
I will certainly be available to help with any prop building projects that I have experience in :D

I was about to compile a couple of how to's on building a candle chandelier and making a spider web. I will certainly be prepared to put these forward as projects for the group.

Thanks muffy for putting this group together

·
Super Moderator
5,657 Posts
As said in the other thread.

I have tutorials out there now on:

Mold Making
Plaster skulls from a mold
Crystal skulls from a more complicated mold
Shrunken heads.

I'ld be willing to teach on anything else I make, including:

Basic liquid latex makeup. There are probably better folks at this than I, but I took a 20 year hiatus in working with the stuff till this last year. Failed to get good pictures of the appiances I build for me and my son with nothing but liquid latex and nose putty.

Bucky Corpsing based on Skulls and Bones tutorial. Be happy to answer any questions in that method.

And, not yet, but by year's end, I'll be capable of teaching basic fiberglassing techniques.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I don't really do props yet, mostly just smaller projects for indoor decoration, but I can teach what I have done and know so far.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok people time to figure out what the startup project will be....please at this time lets consider an additional couple of projects so we can get instructors lined up & get them scheduled on the calendar>>>>>>>still I cannot find access to that sucker on the board! Anybody find access to the calendar?

Also remember...these classes will start in February.

Muf

B

·
0 Posts
Well, like posted elsewhere, I'll do my part for whatever the group decides to work on that I can contribute to. I'm not a Rick Baker or Tom Savini but I can hold my own. A lot of my techniques are my own but are still in the ballpark of the f/x industry. I do not claim to know everything and there are a lot of talented people on this forum that even I have learned tricks from.

When I joined this forum it was with the intent of helping "people" that loved Halloween as much I did but just didn't have the skills to accomplish "Hollywood" type effects. After hanging around a while I was totally amazed by the creativity the so many of you have and I was truly in awe of some of the work that was being done in the amateur world of Halloween home haunting.

I am more than happy to assist anyone with anything I can provide, whether it being a full tutorial or just a quick question, that's what I'm here for.

I personally want to thank Larry for this great forum and the opportunity that awaits us all in the future. I also want to give kudos to Muffy for taking that extra step and getting this ball rolling.

What I can contribute:
Latex - appliances, masks, painting, and molds
Foam Latex - hot foam and cold foam appliances
Gelatin - appliances
Silicone - appliances, masks, painting, and molds
General prop making, to life sized creatures
Molding techniques
Casting latex, gelatin, and silicone

I'm sure there are more...but the list could get pretty long. I can’t wait to see what comes about from the group and the amazing skill that will be demonstrated by the members who thought they never had the talent.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Okay, first what I CAN do, though by no means an expert.
Most of these are actually fairly simple, and I would consider short projects.
Use latex to cast molds from various items, then make duplicates... such as skulls.
Simple clay sculpt, cast mold, gelatin for simple latex cuts, wounds, horns, etc.
Cast dental alginate/hydrocal and make fake teeth
Make realistic entrails from great stuff, including painting technique (see my album)
Make fake skin and bones for props (torn limbs, etc see my album)
again, not a pro by any means, but if we have enough that want to learn and have no one else to teach, I can give it a go

·
Hauntless
8,343 Posts
Okay, we think we have a way to get the prop building organized in a way that will appeal to the members of our prop building group.

I'm going to make a poll listing 4-5 of the projects offered so far on this thread and then we can pick the most needed project. If the top picked project's teacher is unavailable to teach the first project, we will build the second project.

But before I make the poll, I'd like to ask again for more teacher volunteers. I'll give it a few days and then I'll post the poll on Friday.

I hope this idea works well. So, anymore volunteers?

Pretty please, with an eyeball on top? :D

·
Registered
994 Posts
I sent Muffy a PM with my potential contributions.

But I'll post them here as well.

Faux wooden crates
Facades - includes the actual construction and painting techniques

I also built a treasure chest, but I'm unhappy with the cost of it, so I'm not sure that would be a good lesson, though I'm please with the final product.

·
Funeral Crasher
7,435 Posts
I can contribute:

Basic LED wiring. (Two LED 9 volt circuit.)
Evil Eyes--Painted ping-pong balls with LEDs inside, mounted to wood.
Bobbing Head Skull (behind a Tombstone)
Skeleton turns his head back and forth (behind a Tombstone)
Small Stirring Cauldron
I can eventually attempt a class on my Crawling Skeleton, but I need to experiment and see if I can make it work using two single shafted motors, since the two-shafted motor I originally used is not available.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
bumping to the top......Anyone else want to offer their building expertise we're taking names & projects till Friday.

Also at this time would like to let EVERYBODY know we are in the process of getting all this info moved over to where our Social Group is. If any of you are not sure how to find the social groups please inquire. Right now there is a list of instructors & projects listed in the social group entries, please visit there & start looking over the choices. As you all start letting Terra know what your interest are we will then put the poll together combined of 4-6 projects, anything besides the 1st project will be listed on the calendar for later months & then we will return to to the ongoing project list we will continue to add to.

Muf

·
Master of my own Universe
969 Posts
Just to confirm, I am by no means an expert on prop building but am willing to contribute help on the how to's that I have previously submitted and on props made - the list looks a little like this :

Easy Tombstones
Skeleton Hands
Spiked Fence
ground breaker coffin
30" Spider Web
Flicker candle candelabra
Faux Stone panels

1 - 17 of 17 Posts