Halloween Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow Haunters!

(I am cross posting this question in the hopes someone can help me.)

I am thinking about doing using the Hallowindow projection on my one car garage door and I was wondering if 1500 would be sufficent lumens for a LCD projector. Anyone know? I am trying to do this as cheaply as poissible without looking cheap if you know what I mean. I want to do singing pumpkins and busts one of these days too. I am scouring ebay as we speak and I don't really want to spend more than $200.

Can anyone help me with this? Thanks!!!

-Haunted Heidi-

·
Banned
3,040 Posts
1500 lumens is plenty. Make sure you also get a projector with a good resolution 800*600 or higher. I just purchased a micro projector on Alibaba.com for $220 that has 1200 lumens and an 800*600 resolution. If your interested in the model I purchased, PM me! The main things to keep in mind when considering a projector purchase are: lumens, resolution, and throw distance.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Actually, you can project easily 160"+ with projectors with half or less lumen strength. So to me the criteria is price, max resolution, and lumens

This is my semi-diy projection. Lumen is under 400 but screen size is 165"

Victor

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow, thanks

Thanks for your posts. These were really helpful.

I am on a very limited budget for Halloween so this was great info.

Can I ask what the specs of your projector are??

-Heidi-

·
Registered
490 Posts
it depends on what you're projecting on (how 'white'), how much ambient light, and how big you want it. Here's my setup, a Sanyo Z5 with an Elite 84" white screen. This projo is 1100 lumens, but I'm not sure what lamp mode I had it running.

View attachment 4877

View attachment 4878

- Hook

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I plan on putting up a do-it-myself screen on my garage door and projecting the images onto that...I am afraid I don't know much about these sort of things so I don't know what would be sufficent for people to see the projections clearly at night...These images will be projected from the inside of the garage and will be seen from the oustide only.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Its gonna ALL depend on how bright it is outside when you decide to do your projecting images . Of course , the higher the lumens , the better off you'll be . IMO - see if you have a neighbor , or friend that has one and see if you could borrow it for a few minutes and see the outcome and then base your needs on how the picture/video come out and how many lumens the projector you borrowed had .
If you don't have any friends or neighbors that will let you borrow , then go to one of those RENT A CENTER's and rent one for a week and test . Its much better to dish out the few bucks to test , then to buy and be stuck with one, if its not bright enough . At least , then , you'll have some idea as to the brightness needed.

·
Registered
683 Posts
The projectors I used in this setup varied from 800x600 to 640x480. However, all were old and firing most likely way less than 800 lumens

Victor

·
Registered
35 Posts
Nobody has mentioned anything about contrast here... I know a business class projector will have a smaller ratio, as will a LCD projector vs. a DLP projector.

I looked up the specs for Hooked_on_Scare's projector, and he's running a 10000:1 ratio, and his setup is a couple of thousand bucks, as well - not something you're going to want to take outside for Halloween decor. What are the contrast ratios for the other projectors here? Do you find contrast plays a big role?

Obviously, you're going to need a higher lumens count if you have more ambient lighting, but most low end projectors come with at least 1000 lumens. Contrast is what I find varies widely, and is what I'm most interested in hearing thoughts on.

·
Registered
490 Posts
BAH... my projo was only ~$1000. You're looking at original MSRP, because it's out of production. But even over that, I sweated it out for years (literally, years) before I decided to actually get one. I have no regrets at all!

I posted the photos I did to illustrate what ambient lighting does to the 'contrast ratio'. Basically, it throws it out the window. Like berzerkmonkey said, if there's any ambient lighting, lumens will be king, and 1000 isn't really all that much. I think most business projos are closer to 1600.

Also... be aware that some projos (like mine) use a dynamic iris to artificially increase the contrast ratio. While this works pretty well in total dark, it can't help much when there's much ambient light.

One more thing to consider, with a haunt, it's probably best to disguise, as best possible, that the image is coming from a projector at all. A low contrast ratio (projecting gray when it should be black) would give it away, but also the 'rainbow effect' of a DLP may give it away to some visitors. Not everyone's susceptible, but if you are, it's pretty quick to see.

Finally, if no one's mentioned it already, check out projectorcentral.com They are an awesome resource!

- Hook

·
Registered
683 Posts
The contrast ratios on all of my projectors used in my last posts are 400:1 or less. Contrast to me on halloween projection is not as critical as price.

Victor

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
cheap projection

I'm doing the projector scene this year. I purchased a low cost projector off ebay. I believe it was $80.00, this has a great picture.

I will be projecting it on the back side of a sheet, which will be inside the doorway of my barn. The sound from the projector carries well and can be heard outside.

I downloaded the Hallowindow and also created an hour and thirty minutes worth of other videos and music.

This system works great and is CHEAP!

·
Psychomaniac
623 Posts
I setup Hallowindow last year using an old 800x600 DLP projector I had sitting around at my shop. I believe it's 1100 lumens. We made the screen using the Wal-Mart shower curtain liners that many other people we're using. The results were excellent. You can see it near the end of this video...

YouTube - Dead End Mannor

Pretty much any projector will work so don't stress on the specs too much.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts