Halloween Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! I'm curious as to when everyone starts their preparations and getting their decorations together. What's the consensus?

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
7,076 Posts
I've been working on props since January or February, but the boxes of my decorations have been migrating from the garage storage area into the house... slowly taking over the dining room and living room.

I'm probably going to be going through stuff over the next couple of weeks and get my ideas together for this year's party and outdoor stuff - testing stuff, touching up or making a decision on what gets put out this year or not.

So August is usually my "trash the house" month in regards to getting the prep work started.
:D

·
Registered
327 Posts
Since the layout of the yard is a "concept" until it is actually done, we put the fence up in early-mid September so we can have a gauge as to how much room we'll really have for everything. Then stuff goes up from there. We're usually mostly set up by the second week in October, except for a few details and a lot of the electronics/animatronics. Let's us have time to move lights and props around for the best effect by Halloween night!

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
November 1st. lol That's when I started looking up props I wanted to make for the next season.
Haha that's when you can get all the best deals! When do you start rolling everything out?

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Since the layout of the yard is a "concept" until it is actually done, we put the fence up in early-mid September so we can have a gauge as to how much room we'll really have for everything. Then stuff goes up from there. We're usually mostly set up by the second week in October, except for a few details and a lot of the electronics/animatronics. Let's us have time to move lights and props around for the best effect by Halloween night!
Do you do your front yard or back?

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've been working on props since January or February, but the boxes of my decorations have been migrating from the garage storage area into the house... slowly taking over the dining room and living room.

I'm probably going to be going through stuff over the next couple of weeks and get my ideas together for this year's party and outdoor stuff - testing stuff, touching up or making a decision on what gets put out this year or not.

So August is usually my "trash the house" month in regards to getting the prep work started.
:D
I love that when most people are taking vacations, we are planning for Halloween. HA!

·
Registered
619 Posts
Haha that's when you can get all the best deals! When do you start rolling everything out?
Well, all through the year I've been stockpiling things I would need. I started getting everything ready for assembly when the kids got out of school. :) I wanted to start in the spring but I got pneumonia and that set me back aways.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
My haunt got too big for me to handle alone. :(

This year, I am scaling WAAAAAAY back. I haven't added anything new this year. The majority of my props will probably remain in storage... maybe to hit the online auction block eventually. I'll start prepping (culling) early September.

This year's display will be small- no elaborate yard display, no projections, no walk-thru. It'll probably just be a creepy garden, SFX, foam lighted pumpkins, a crank ghost in an upstairs window. The only silver lining is that the smaller display will be done in advance- maybe the first week of October. The big haunt always went up and down within 48 hours of TOT.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I used to always decorate my front porch and yard, the past three years I have gone somewhere for Halloween - like last year I went to New Mexico for Dia De Los Muertos:) This year I will put out my main stuff the first weekend of October, the week of I will really put out everything.. I am testing the 'hood to see how it goes, families have come and gone so I want to see what kind of turn out I get..maybe next year, I already have ideas but will need at least two victi...I mean volunteers to help do a walk around to the back deck and yard....
I am really looking forward to this year...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts