Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After 8 weeks battling the heat in the garage, I wanted to share some photos of the newly finished Pirate Cannon. Just a few details - she's modeled after a 17th Century French, 18-pound artillery piece. At 7 feet long, she fires with smoke, light, and a neatly hidden subwoofer that shakes anything nearby! I even picked up real cannon fuse that sparks when lit to start the sequence off on Halloween!

·
Caretaker of Eerie Manor
6,636 Posts
Remarkable! Love the attention to detail. Yes, please take some video of this thing in action.

Reactions: Frightshow

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Incredible piece of work , the aging and distressing make it look so realistic , its a real beauty you should be extremely proud of the finished cannon .

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wow - amazing feedback and response! Thanks to everyone for such kind words and encouragement! I'm going to start a build thread here so you can see some of the "how-to" process as well.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ahoy Maties!

This year, I embarked on building a scale-size replica naval cannon for the Pirate Haunting Theme this year. It's modeled after a French 18-pounder naval artillery piece. This project took approximately 6 weekends to accomplish. It helps to have at least a jig saw and some basic tools, and all the materials can be found from a big box hardware store and craft retailer.

You're neighbors will comment it's the coolest thing or think you're completely nuts for having a cannon in the garage.

Let’s do this thing!

Halloween Pirate Cannon 35.jpg

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
PART 1 - Barrel

The barrel is fabricated from (2) 12" x 4' Concrete Form Tubes from Home Depot.

My barrel is set at 7 feet long. Of the 1 foot that was trimmed off (8' of cardboard tubes minus 1'), I used a 4" ring as an inside joiner to secure the two tubes together.

Halloween Pirate Cannon 1.jpg

The key here is to taper the barrel down by cutting a pie-shaped wedge down the bottom (narrow end towards muzzle).

Halloween Pirate Cannon 2.jpg

I used bungees and tie-down straps to hold the taper since the cardboard is extremely thick and stiff. A long, 7’ x 4” slice of cardboard runs inside and down the center of the barrel. This allowed me to close the slit with wood screws and glue.

Halloween Pirate Cannon 3-1.jpg

Taking the remaining barrel scrap, I used these to create two barrel bands to help secure the entire unit together. Look closely to ensure there isn’t any “curving” accidentally put into the barrel at the joint.

Halloween Pirate Cannon 3.jpg

1 - 20 of 39 Posts