Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Surprisingly, I have never had one. I did a Christmas/ house warming a few years ago but Halloween seems fun!

I want to do just a plain haunted house theme. I thought about getting those huge sheets of black paper to cover windows ( I have a huge window in living room, plus windows framing the front door) to make it darker. I'm going to hope on pinterest for more ideas. Since I'm not in school this year, I can put more focus outside too. And I want to create a Halloween Menu.

I think planning this will be fun, plus it will just make time fly...I'm getting a new car right after Halloween and it just seems spook far away, lol.

I'm excited and I'm gonna get my sister to help me with ideas. I want to do games too.

·
Registered
623 Posts
If you're talking about the stretchy webs the secret is to keep stretching and pulling them apart until they're as thin as you can get them. It looks more realistic if you use several thin layers.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Yep, there is a difference, but I 'd be hard pressed to tell you which is which. I've picked up alot of the stretch web over the years, and some has been junk while other packages would stretch for yards, just looking better and better.
Pick up a bag each from different sources and try 'em out...

And don't forget to look around here as well for some good ideas, as simple or as complex as you like...

·
Registered
253 Posts
As far as webs go, I love we caster guns and surprisingly I had my best experience using walmart bags of web. The spirit halloween brand is nice, but seemed to break rather than stretch. But I know a lot of people who prefer the spirit halloween bags. They're cheap enough, it may be worth it to buy a few bags of different brands and see what suits you best. I also agree with darkening the windows, but as a lifetime haunter, I don't understand plain lol check out target when they start getting halloween stuff. They have some nice tableware (that's not really corny) maybe get some cheap dollar store skeletons and spray paint them black? Pick a color scheme! That will help you out a lot with decorating! Maybe black and grey? Do a general spooky theme? Music is vital for any Halloween party I have. If it's not going to be a house party style with a lot of dancing, consider low playing music to set a tone. I love Nox Arcana. You can an album for any mood with Nox Arcana! Well good luck, I hope your party is amazing!!! Hopefully we get to see pics!!

·
Registered
253 Posts
Webcaster guns**

·
Registered
105 Posts
Hi Samie,

I have had the best luck with web stretching when I have someone else pull the opposite end of the web. We start at one end of a room and stretch it across the wall. Then we work our way across to the other side, with both of us stretching it. This works well and it looks pretty even all the way across. I have experimented with the bright green webs and black lights in some areas of my house and those turn out well! They kind of glow under black light. What kind of snacks are you thinking of doing? Appetizers, main course, finger foods, dessert?

Jack'sEckstein-Thank you for the Nox Arcana recommendation. I have been searching for a good music genre to plug into Pandora and I usually come up with really cheesy Halloween ones that aren't as "ominous" as I would like them to be. I will save Nox for Halloween!

·
The Ghost Host
597 Posts
Black plastic sheeting will be your best friend. Also trashbags make excellent "witch's curtains" inside door frames when shredded vertically. Also if you have nothing else, MOOD LIGHTING. I swear by my colored bulbs that I buy from Lowes. I have red, purple, green and black lighting. Makes a world of difference in a room. (red lighting is my special favorite, gives any room that "insidious" feeling.)

·
Registered
253 Posts
Sweet suggestions Kenneth! Lighting really does play a large role also!

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yep, there is a difference, but I 'd be hard pressed to tell you which is which. I've picked up alot of the stretch web over the years, and some has been junk while other packages would stretch for yards, just looking better and better.
Pick up a bag each from different sources and try 'em out...

And don't forget to look around here as well for some good ideas, as simple or as complex as you like...
I will do that. I always seem to just stick with Walmart, but I will broaden my search this year in regards to webbing

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
As far as webs go, I love we caster guns and surprisingly I had my best experience using walmart bags of web. The spirit halloween brand is nice, but seemed to break rather than stretch. But I know a lot of people who prefer the spirit halloween bags. They're cheap enough, it may be worth it to buy a few bags of different brands and see what suits you best. I also agree with darkening the windows, but as a lifetime haunter, I don't understand plain lol check out target when they start getting halloween stuff. They have some nice tableware (that's not really corny) maybe get some cheap dollar store skeletons and spray paint them black? Pick a color scheme! That will help you out a lot with decorating! Maybe black and grey? Do a general spooky theme? Music is vital for any Halloween party I have. If it's not going to be a house party style with a lot of dancing, consider low playing music to set a tone. I love Nox Arcana. You can an album for any mood with Nox Arcana! Well good luck, I hope your party is amazing!!! Hopefully we get to see pics!!
All good ideas! I love Target and they had some pretty neat stuff last year! As for music, no dancing LOL, I will look up Nox Arcana, thanks!!

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi Samie,

I have had the best luck with web stretching when I have someone else pull the opposite end of the web. We start at one end of a room and stretch it across the wall. Then we work our way across to the other side, with both of us stretching it. This works well and it looks pretty even all the way across. I have experimented with the bright green webs and black lights in some areas of my house and those turn out well! They kind of glow under black light. What kind of snacks are you thinking of doing? Appetizers, main course, finger foods, dessert?

Jack'sEckstein-Thank you for the Nox Arcana recommendation. I have been searching for a good music genre to plug into Pandora and I usually come up with really cheesy Halloween ones that aren't as "ominous" as I would like them to be. I will save Nox for Halloween!
Probably finger foods, so its more of a eat as you go. I might create an entree or two...been looking on pinterest!

I never had someone help stretch the web, but I will give that a try!

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Black plastic sheeting will be your best friend. Also trashbags make excellent "witch's curtains" inside door frames when shredded vertically. Also if you have nothing else, MOOD LIGHTING. I swear by my colored bulbs that I buy from Lowes. I have red, purple, green and black lighting. Makes a world of difference in a room. (red lighting is my special favorite, gives any room that "insidious" feeling.)
I was actually wondering about colored lights, so thank you!!

·
The Ghost Host
597 Posts
You're welcome! With red bulbs you'll probably need more because they're not as strong. Purple is a little bit stronger than the red, but green goes a long way.
This is just one picture of the lighting in our "cannibal canteen" last year. There were about 6 bulbs in that chandelier.
1380519_10151988766574533_603125171_n.jpg

·
Registered
65 Posts
I had a halloween party a few years back where we covered everything in black plastic. Floor, walls, couches it looked really cool. As a bonus I had a buddy pass out drunk on the couch and wake up screaming. He thought he was done for

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You're welcome! With red bulbs you'll probably need more because they're not as strong. Purple is a little bit stronger than the red, but green goes a long way.
This is just one picture of the lighting in our "cannibal canteen" last year. There were about 6 bulbs in that chandelier.
View attachment 201581
I love the lighting! Is green pretty cool? I guess I could put red in every single light source, I have a chandelier over my kitchen table, two lights in the living room plus the ceiling fan. I can also replace them in the two porch lights. Ok, I'm getting excited. Oooh and the guest bathroom!

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I had a halloween party a few years back where we covered everything in black plastic. Floor, walls, couches it looked really cool. As a bonus I had a buddy pass out drunk on the couch and wake up screaming. He thought he was done for
Plastic as in trash bags? How did it handle foot traffic? Pics? :)

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm going to limit the party area to living room/ kitchen so I can keep the windows from letting in too much light. The guest bathroom is windowless and so is the hall, so I can easily set up the bathroom as well.

I need to hit up the flea markrt or craigslist to find stuff. I'm on a budget sadly, so I can't spend $$$$ esp with getting a new car right after. But I'm pretty crafty and have. Good eye so I can find stuff and make it work.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts