Halloween Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I've had a Halloween party every year since I moved into my own place.
The first year was fancy dress with with drinks and Halloween themed food.
The second year had a theme of Witches. We all dressed like witches, we tried a spell, had drinks and food and we got a tarot card reader in.
Last year, I had a Gothic themed dinner party and had a medium in to do a seance.

This year, I'm drawing blank on ideas. Ideally, a theme and some activity/entertainment.
I would love to have people over for what they think is a normal Halloween dinner and then for things to start getting spooky. Lights flickering, stuff moving, stuff to scare the crap out of people! But I'm not sure how I'd manage that..
Anyone have any ideas or had any spooky parties of their own?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've never tried it myself but what about having varied effects/lights plugged into a timer so things go a little crazy all at once without you having to mess with them? You could set existing lamps to turn off and lamps/fixtures with flickering bulbs to turn on. You might even put a cd player on the timer to start sound effects to coincide. :)

·
Registered
105 Posts
Boos-The CD idea is a great (and cheap) way to accomplish the freaky sounds playing suddenly. Once, as a prank in my HS Spanish class, a kid made a cassette tape with about 20 minutes of silence and then a really loud Heavy Metal band song right in the middle. He put the tape in the player , cranked up the volume, and pressed play as everyone was filtering in to class. His idea was that the teacher would be at the front of the classroom teaching (right next to the stereo) and the sound would make him jump. Unfortunately, we were given a pop quiz that day and the room was completely silent when the loud music started to play. That was freaky!

Long story short, my advice would be to use a CD/Tape player and crank the volume up to loud. Even if you put it in the kitchen and had a dishes breaking sound effect, then it would sound like someone was in the kitchen. Perhaps a ghost?

·
AKA - S.M. Barrett
1,084 Posts
Ghosts. Everyone comes as their own restless spirit.
Foods are predominantly colorless - white, black, grays, tans. Playing charades while constantly moaning and wailing is fun.

Dead Man's Party. Everyone comes as themselves, dead.
Food is mostly meats, breads, etc.
Simple treasure hunts or identity guessing games are a riot with shambling corpses.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Have you come up with a Halloween Party theme yet? It might help to know what your ready stock of decorations is and how many people you are inviting.

I've done the 'Fancy Dress' Halloween with a black & gold glam decorating theme. I've also done a retro Vintage Halloween Party, a Black & White Murder Mystery Halloween party and a Mardi Gras Voodoo Halloween Ball. I have some basic decorations (black candlesticks, skulls, etc) that I can re-use each year, then I try to come up with a new theme. This year, I am going go to France: Paris has graveyards, catacombs & skulls, gargoyles and the Eiffel Tower and a particularly gruesome history. Someone suggested that I could also explore the 'Phantom of the Opera' aspect, but not this year. Instead, it is headless french courtesans, a fantastic French buffet and restless spirits.

I've got nearly everything I need, I am just experimenting with the Spirit Halloween AtmosFEARfx dvd ghosts.

If you want, you can check out my Pinterest boards -- it is just a collection of Halloween party ideas, including decorations, food, music & costumes.

·
Registered
39 Posts
How big is your place? Do you have a back yard? Some of my best Halloween parties involved activities. Usually there is an on-going game throughout the night because most people like to socialize, but then there are other activities that involved everyone going in groups to different "stations".

One year I went to a farm and we had a saloon we built and there was an activity in there. Then they went into the woods with a lantern to find a key in a graveyard they had to retrieve, then they went to an outdoor firepit and had to make up funny stories between their group, then they went to a jail where they had to beat the dead dealer at Texas Hold'em, etc, etc.

When it is just in my house I will make a cemetary in the back yard with activities that say 5 people at a time go and do, but then I will turn my basement into a haunted house they go down in pairs and I scare the crap out of them lol.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts