Halloween Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! It has been quite some time since I've been on this forum!

This year, a couple of my friends and I are renting out a small local bar (that also happens to be underground... perfect!) for a Halloween party. We have some pretty hardcore DJs planned, so music is good to go. It's the decor that I've been really hung up on.

The space is small, and it's also, well, not ours. We can change lightbulbs and we can put things out on tables - the owner essentially gave us free run of the place, but I don't think he knows what I'm capable of :p

I don't want to ruin the walls or ceiling, and I would love some suggestions for how to hang things without using nails or tacks. I'm sure tacks in some small corners here and there would be totally fine, and I'll see if we can use those small eye hooks for some lights or fun fixtures.

And, if anyone has any ideas for creepy resources or decorating ideas I would be deeply appreciative! I think we're going for a pretty dark, creepy, dungeony look, since the bar is literally in a basement and has huge wine barrels that line the bar area.

Counting down the days... I'm way too excited for Halloween! It's still 95 degrees outside and I'm already thinking about sweaters and skulls! :p

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
How fun! So, a "dark, creepy, dungeony" look...does that mean you want sort of like a torture chamber? Or, an elegant but dank vampire lounge vibe? An old tavern hideout pirates might visit? Or just an in-general Halloween sort of feel?

Consider using some heavy-test fishing line or even coated wire for hanging - if there are good wall anchors holding up pictures or wall art or whatnot, you can perhaps wrap the wire/fishing line around the screw already in the wall & string it to another wall screw, creating a line. Then you can drape dark netting, creepy cloth, hang up some props from it, etc. Again, got to be well anchored already though.

There are also those Command hooks you can buy at lots of stores that can hold different weights. I use them to hang up Halloween wall stuff each year & they work pretty well. Once you buy the hooks, keep them! You can always then just buy the "refill" sticky tabs rather than having to buy the hooks AND the tabs again.

If you are looking for dungeon & want some chains, here's a great suggestion - cut up gray pipe insulation & hang chains from the ceiling, like this - https://www.pinterest.com/pin/56646907786399189/

There are those plastic "scene setters" from Halloween stores & even dollar stores each year that often feature a stone wall look - good for a dungeon vibe. You could always cut some of this up to potentially cover any existing wall art that is in the bar that just doesn't fit - like panels of stone wall, KWIM?

Something that might be a cool centerpiece on the tables - buy those dollar store battery-operated candle sticks, then use the smaller foam skulls from there or from craft stores to slide down over part of the candlestick like this - http://www.halloweenforum.com/tutorials-and-step-by-step/70207-remake-skull-lamps.html

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OOOH! I love all of these ideas. I need to talk to the DJs to see what kind of vibe they're going to have the music be and then I can have an idea of the direction the decor needs to go in. I personally like the idea of a vampire lounge in a castle of some sort.

Your hanging ideas are perfect. I always wanted to know if those command hooks actually work well without damaging the wall, so this is good to know that they do.

There isn't much to hide, except there is a brick wall in there that might not fit with the theme we finally pick, so the scene setters might be useful for that corner.

I also love the centerpiece idea - that was kind of what I was thinking, but wasn't sure how to go about creating them. I've been out of the Halloween game for a few years and I'm so ready for this!

Thank you so much!

·
Dawn of the Dead
1,848 Posts
Here are more medieval/dungeon style Halloween ideas. https://www.pinterest.com/zim2/halloween-medieval/
Once you know your space, perhaps you can get an extra table and some cardboard boxes that you can build a vertical display. Cover with black material and put your props on it. That could be an entrance display for your guests coming in to the basement. You can take brown craft paper rolls and crunch up the paper to make cave walls. Use the command hook stickers or maybe just double sided tape to put them on the walls, around tables, etc.

Screen Shot 2016-08-12 at 12.11.21 PM.jpg

1 - 4 of 4 Posts