Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

We are in the midst of planning out the props and effects for our 15th Annual Halloween Party. For the last 2 years, we had a haunted hotel themed party, with a "steam-punk" infusion for 2014. This year, we are changing it out for an "UnNatural History Museum" theme along the lines of the Ben Stiller films, combined with Raiders of the Lost Ark, the cable show Oddities, etc. One of my friends already has dibs on coming to the party as Teddy Roosevelt.

Looking for some ideas if you have 'em to share. Decor, Props, Gags, Games, Foods... We appreciate any and all suggestions and experiences that you may have!

·
Dawn of the Dead
1,848 Posts

·
Registered
14,085 Posts
Sounds like a fun theme idea!

DOLLAR TREE has a number of dinosaurs and jungle animal hard, rubbery/plastic figurines in the Toy Dept. if you need any for a place holder or maybe a costume award trophy.

Large Plastic Toy Dinosaurs

Plastic Toy Dinosaurs

Plastic Jungle Animal Figurines

Last time I was in my local HARBOR FREIGHT they still had these wooden cutout dinosaur skeleton kits. Several different models, not expensive. They were in their kind of limited kids/toy area. Those might look nice on a table or buffet area. .....Here found a few links to a few of the balsa wood dinos on their website AND THEY ARE ON SALE FOR 1.39 right now:

Apatoaurus

T-Rex

I bought a few of these a while back. My store had I think 5-6 different dinos. I remember a Triceratops and a Stegosaurus. Not sure what else they had. They come in a flat package similar in size to a movie DVD you'd find in the stores. I probably bought my set back in the spring or summer last year so their stock might be getting low and once sold out probably won't restock. Easy enough to hit them with some white/bone colored paint and/or age them.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Start hitting the thrift store and picking up glass containers to hold specimens in. It would be great if they had lids, but you will find a lot that don't. You can use to ones with lids for the liquid stuff. I picked up some of those add water and they grow, brains from Dollar Tree. They looked great in a specimen jar with a little red food coloring in the water. Something that looks cool it gnarled roots driftwood. Pick up a couple fist sized ones, put them in a jar, and people don't recognize what the are. But you are going to need a lot of jars so start looking now.

·
Registered
2,800 Posts

·
Registered
2,800 Posts

·
Registered
14,085 Posts
Oh crap Pumpkinpie, not a DaveLowe creation! I love his stuff. Now I'm getting enticed to decorate for xmas too! That's a really clever idea to add the snow monster to a Santa scene and Pumpkinpie, that's a super idea to do dino feet like that.

BTW, garden centers that carry frost cloth/landscaping weed cloth sell these giant size staples that you can anchor your frost cloth covered plants or weed fabric to the ground so the wind doesn't blow it away. I'm thinking these pins would work great to hold the foot print cloth down and would be pretty invisible. We ordered our pins from someone else but here's a company that carries them to show you what I'm talking about. http://frostproof.com/dewitt-6-x-1-x-6-11-gauge-anchor-pins-75-per-box/ We purchased DeWitt brand pins but there might be other manufacturers out there.

·
Dawn of the Dead
1,848 Posts

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
Ohmygosh I have got to quit hijacking this thread...anyway I just saw this and thought it would b a great after party souvenir. ..all u need is some quick photo shopping skills (I'd do it with a night sky instead of daylight...and have your guests pose outside)...u can even add the date and party theme and border so it looks like a postcard

Attachments

1 - 20 of 30 Posts