Halloween Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My hometown has an annual grilling contest, and teams always make parade floats and do a skit from their float in front of judges for prizes. My family and friends have entered for the past several years without success. THIS NEXT YEAR, however, they have allowed me to head up our float/skit department. And we are doing a Halloween theme. Of course.

I'm looking for ideas from you creative people. Here's where I'm thinking about going:

--having a grill set up on our float with fog rolling out, red lights, and my Bucky skeleton, with an apron on, manning the grill
--doing a sort of zombie dance routine (with new lyrics written on signs) to Thriller ("Griller")

Anyone have previous experience with Halloween floats?

Any idea is welcome! Still brainstorming!!

·
Valkyrie Of Halloween
2,435 Posts
Will this be on a flat bed? How long is the parade? Is it a one-sided parade or seen from both sides of the street? All things to be considered. I've been in dozens of parades in marching units but have helped with floats so maybe can give some help

·
Spider Maven
1,469 Posts
Folllowing this one. My town has a good sized Halloween parade and I'm always looking for ideas to up-my-pull cart game.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It will be on a flat trailer bed with a slight rail around it, but we can build things to put on it. It will be seen from both sides, but there will be a judges station on one side--we will perform to that side.

Do you have any pictures?? I would love to see them!

·
Valkyrie Of Halloween
2,435 Posts
Since it is 2 sided, how about a cemetery gate/arch so as not to block the view. This can then be big with lots of detail and can have the dancers performing to both sides. Of course the other option is to have the end of the trailer the backdrop with everyone in front. Either way works well. I would suggest supports to have people hold on to as parades tend to stop and start and it is easy to lose balance. Tombstones would be perfect in this instance!

·
Registered
387 Posts
Here is a thought . . . I designed our church's float and built two seven foot puppets (angle and sheppard) to walk besides the float and it was a huge hit. The PVC puppets were easier to build than you'd think and so much fun. I'll see if I can dig up a pic so you can see what I'm talking about. Ohhhhhh jus think how your puppets would look if they danced to Thriller??? Just saying . . . :cool:

Just a thought to throw into the mix plus I LOVED making those puppets and no one else had them.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oooooh, I love both of those ideas! I hadn't thought about having a big cemetery gate. And I would LOVE to see pictures/plans for your big puppets. Those could be really interesting!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts