Halloween Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
UnOrthodox....thank you so much for the reply! I know you were always on board with this idea. I'm so sorry I keep having these flareups & I'm down for months. Ya know DaveintheGrave back in 2012 we tried to resurect this thing & did have some interest. Hang tight & we'll see what folks have to say!

·
Super Moderator
5,920 Posts
UnOrthodox....thank you so much for the reply! I know you were always on board with this idea. I'm so sorry I keep having these flareups & I'm down for months. Ya know DaveintheGrave back in 2012 we tried to resurect this thing & did have some interest. Hang tight & we'll see what folks have to say!

On the plus side, on my plate is something mainstream enough people might want a class (shocking, I know). I don't do RECREATIONS, mind you, but I'm going to be doing a scarecrow that certainly has some of Pumpkinrot's Sentinel inspiration behind it. (along with other things)

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Greetings Unorthodox.......by any chance do you think you might want to share your building of this in a class format? I been working on laying the ground work to try & pull this thing back together but the truth is I need to be already looking for teachers. I have not addressed the re-staring of this group on the General board as yet. I'm still floating around trying to get to all the places and read stuff I missed from being out so long.

Last time we did this we did not have very many students in these little classes but as time went by & people got more interested in how we ran this, more joined. So you may not have a lot to start with but we have to start somewhere. In 2012 DaveintheGrave offered to teach a class to try & get this thing going again. It was great we had interest. But then I nosedived again & got sick bad, sick bad for me is in bed for months at a time w/o being able to use my hands or walk.Thats how things fall apart on me. But this time I have made my mind up I'm gonna stay with it. There is not much change in my condition the only difference is I've learned to live with it better.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
We're talking about offering an online build right now.....should see some news here shortly. These projects always start after the holidays. Usually we post a materials list for the chosen project & introduce the instructor in Jan. and then the project build starts in Feb. & you all build together until completion.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah, it's something I was going to do up in a tutorial anyway, so the class would work well.

Problem is, I'm still making sketches and drawing inspiration from sources. Probably February before I realistically start building.
Actually ...time frame wise that would work out great. You may recall the last time we had this thing up & running that projects were started after the holidays. January we would list the project and a materials list. This way they had all of January to buy the materials needed for the project and February 1st the build would start.

Now in your case we would do things a little different because you will actually be constructing your own project along with the students, might take a little longer to complete. Now you said that you stray sometimes & lose interest on a project. Well with us hound dogs working in this class with you we'd have to try to keep you grounded! lol and moving along.

Also I'm talking to Jason & he thinks he may be interested in teaching a class. DaveintheGrave is thinking about it too.

A problem that developed when we tried to start this thing up in 2012 was discussion of not enough students participating, but in 2008 when we did it, all the classes had quite a few students. Its gonna take a bit longer because we have so many new members that don't even know what this section is about, so we gotta a lot of info to get out. I was thinking this time of asking for at least 5 members to go through a class, would be far more worth it to the teachers.

So you think if you wanna do this you could write a description of the class or the name of the project and are you ready yet to give me a materials list, at least a basic one to start with. As I mentioned most teachers are teaching classes on projects they have already made. Still I think it would be a good idea to try it this way, instructor building along. Would tell them some materials might have to be purchased as you progress along. I'm sure when they did those mausoleums & hearses, materials might have been needed that were not on the list. Also we need to post the tools they will need. Again you might have to do that as you go along.

If we can we will try to get Jason to build along side you & be able to offer 2 classes. That always worked well for us before. Let me know what you think. We will conduct things like before. I will create 2 threads, one for you, one for the students. The sooner we get this up the better. So the next few days I'll get the talk out to these that want to teach & then I'll start posting on the General board to let folks know what this is all about. Sound ok?

Just letting you know, I got this approved by Larry, and talked to DaveintheGrave & Terra.....everybody said lets do it!

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I know it's unprofessional because i just joined this group but after Jan.1st i have 3 haunts to build and possibly a dark ride so i'm booked up for the rest of the year, but i will try to post what i'm doing to may be help contribute or maybe spread some ideas.
Hey nightmarefamily, greetings & also welcome for joining my friends list....glad to get aquainted! We are gonna try & get this section of the board up & running again, you will find another thread listed that gives you a link to what this group is all about. We have not been in here to much in the last year,actually 2012 was the last listed thread of classes. I wanted to mention to you & kind of redirect you to the props section or the tutorial section to post any projects you are doing. This eventually will become the threads for the classes again.

Here we will be offering you a chance to build along in a class that is supervised by an instructor. Nobody was in here for so long & I see that some other things got posted in here but usually when we are up & running just the class threads are listed here, along with a monthly news update and also questions from members. I'd be happy to answer any questions you have. Watch for news here & on the main board. I'm working on getting things set up as we speak!

·
Super Moderator
5,920 Posts
Actually ...time frame wise that would work out great. You may recall the last time we had this thing up & running that projects were started after the holidays. January we would list the project and a materials list. This way they had all of January to buy the materials needed for the project and February 1st the build would start.

Now in your case we would do things a little different because you will actually be constructing your own project along with the students, might take a little longer to complete. Now you said that you stray sometimes & lose interest on a project. Well with us hound dogs working in this class with you we'd have to try to keep you grounded! lol and moving along.
Yeah, the last couple years I've managed to stay focused for my first build. I like to do a little Walpurgisnacht display each year where I do a mini preview of what's coming, so I need to have this build I have in mind done by a minimum of April 30. I've managed to keep that schedule the last 2 years, at least for the one build, then I go all bouncy with the rest of the things for the year.

So if you wanted, you could line my class up for May, and I'd have the tutorial done and all ready, or we can just do a build along.

Just to throw out a little of what I'm working on for this thing, my local city started an annual scarecrow contest 2 years ago, and I just heard of it this last year when I saw a bunch of straw men with big smiles and flowers (FLOWERS!) on the side of the road.

IMO, sentinels are the present standard, and there's already several threads on doing recreations here on the forum.

However, my style involves a lot more light with open chests and heads, and I want to bring some of that to them.

Probably going with a more bifurcated head look, similar to my fences.

In a lot of ways, my mask this last year was a test run on building a fake pumpkin for this. Fooled a lot of visitors into thinking it was real, at least.

Toying with other modifications, but they can be done after the basic form for the class.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Greetings unOrthodox....oh man I just love these pictures! What a great look. I did not realize those shredded ones were masks, I thought those were real pumpkins...thats how good they look!

This is kind of a big project that will take time. We would love to try a class where the instructor builds along with the students so if its ok with you I say lets try it. Kind of a progression class that runs till completion of the project making it easier by not setting a definite completion date, just working till done. Would you be willing to give it a try? Heck you will be documenting as you move along anyways.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts