Halloween Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 202 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Spirit Halloween started a campaign today with a petition to change Halloween to Saturday.

Personally..I love that. Not sure if it could be pulled-off. But if anyone can, it would be them with us fans help pushing it through.

I put this thread here so that we can discuss.

What do you think?

If you agree...make sure to sign the online petition. www.spirithalloweekend.com

Here is the annoucement:

----------
National Retailer Spirit Halloween Launches Campaign for Permanent Saturday Halloweens

Last year, Halloween fell on a Friday, inspiring revelers to celebrate all weekend. This year, with the beloved holiday on a Saturday, trick-or-treating can start at dawn. But every year can’t have a Halloweekend. Or can it?

Spirit Halloween believes Halloweekend can – and should – be every year. The leading seasonal retailer proposes that costume-loving, home-decorating fans of all ages give Halloween its own permanent home: on the last Saturday of October.

“With homework, jobs and busy weekday schedules, Halloween often doesn’t get the attention it deserves,” said Steven Silverstein, Spirit Halloween’s CEO, who is leading the uprising. “We’re tired of seeing this enchanted holiday getting lost on a weekday, disappointing ghouls, goblins, witches and warlocks. Halloween deserves a Saturday to call its own, and we all deserve a Halloweekend.”

“Saturday Halloween will let adult and kids alike trick-or-treat earlier and longer, while adding more jobs to the economy,” Silverstein added. “Halloween-related retail sales are as much as 30% higher when Halloween falls on the weekend versus a weekday. Halloweekend could mark a turning point in global economic recovery.”

To rally Americans, Silverstein recently marched up Capitol Hill with supporters Wonder Woman, Popeye, Scarecrow and Dorothy at his side. A concerned citizen captured never-before-seen video of the march which can be viewed at www.spirithalloweekend.com. The new Halloweekend online hub also gives instructions on how to join the Halloweekend movement in your local community and on Facebook.

--------------------------------------------------------

·
Registered
45 Posts
I pledged! I really hope it happens. When I was a kid I use to hate having to get home from trick or treating and immediately go to bed because it was a school night.

·
Registered
668 Posts
not for me thanks, for me halloween is on oct 31, whatever day that falls on.

·
Clarification: Not A Man
1,186 Posts
Hm.

Putting Halloween on a Saturday for all time could have it's benefits as listed above. It is a definite advantage in the idea of being consistent. Look at how Labor day and Mothers day have fared for being on the same day every year.

But there are negatives. Say its the last Saturday in October. That day will always be different when it comes to date, much like Labor day. One complication put on by Labor day being late this year is that my college semester is a week shorter and therefore we have extended classes by 5 minutes and we are getting a lot of info crammed into our classes. It's caused a bit of chaos. Now I know we could start the college courses earlier in years that Labor day falls late, but that's not the point I'm trying to make.

What I am trying to say is that it can cause scheduling issues with folks who have it ingrained into them that Halloween is the last day in October, not the last Saturday. Some years the holiday will sneak up a week early and not everyone will be prepared by that time.

I really think that if it happens it will take a lot of time to adjust to it and it could end up hurting Halloween based businesses.

I like Halloween on the weekends, but I also like knowing that at some point, the kids who have been hanging around the haunt for several hours have to go home because they have school or their parents have work. Our haunt is not a babysitting service and having mini loiterers ruins the atmosphere.

I guess I'm on the fence for this one.

·
Bête noire
2,631 Posts
Of course Mr. Silverstein would like to have a Halloweekend - he has a financial interest.

While I like those years when Halloween falls on a weekend, I have to take issue with the commercialization angle. There are religious aspects, as well. It would be cool if kids were given Nov. 1st as a school holiday to "recover" from a late night of TOT'ing but we know that'll never happen.

Halloween is October 31st, period.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I don't agree. Mainly because I am always used to it being on the 31st,
and that's what the national day for it is. You know, like in scary stories and
movies. .that's just what it's been. That's my point of view.

·
Registered
93 Posts
On one hand, October 31 will always be Halloween for me. But I like the idea of Halloween being on a Saturday every year since Halloween is not designated as an official holiday, unless, you specifically ask for it off, you have to work and kids go to school. I think people will adjust to the different dates each year. All you have to do is find next year's calendar and see when the last Saturday in October is. There is no set date for Thanksgiving, it's always the last Thursday in November. And there is no set date for Easter in can fall between two different months.

·
Registered
330 Posts
As the day has significant religious meaning for many, as well as all the fun that can be had, I am opposed to changing it to a floating holiday. I recommend we start a new petition to make it a recognized National Holiday, thus providing a day off from work or school like any other "bank holiday".

October 31... FOREVER!!!!:D

·
Registered
163 Posts
I'm just not sure about how I feel about this one. On one hand, I love the idea of Halloween on Saturday every year, but like others said October 31st just IS Halloween. I cant imagine Halloween being on October 28th or October 27th. It just doesn't seem right, but that said, I'm a pretty easy-going person and I'm cool with whatever. I'll celebrate on October 31st either way. :)

·
Funeral Crasher
7,449 Posts
Nah. October 31st is HALLOWEEN. They already took away one hour of our darkness a couple of years ago and now this?

How about instead we change to celebrating Christmas on the closest Sunday to Dec. 25th?

·
Registered
702 Posts
No thanks. Halloween has been celebrated on the same day for thousands of years. Changing the day would ruin all the magic.

Agreed, this is purely for commercial interest.

Halloween, October 31st

·
Super Moderator
5,851 Posts
Nah. October 31st is HALLOWEEN. They already took away one hour of our darkness a couple of years ago and now this?

How about instead we change to celebrating Christmas on the closest Sunday to Dec. 25th?
Works for Easter... (first sunday after the first full moon of the spring equinox)

I'm indeterminate on my feelings....Maybe if we could swing 3 day weekends...

·
Lord of the Cemetery
2,081 Posts
There are convincing arguments for and against, most of which have already been well addressed earlier in the thread.

Personally I'm a traditionalist and it's October 31st for me.

I agree with piraticalstyle in that the efforts would be better put to use in campaigning for a national holiday. We could do with one in October here in the UK as we have nothing between August and December.

·
AKA - S.M. Barrett
1,084 Posts
I agree that the actual date of the 31st has significant meaning to a lot of folks.

Easter has always been the first Sunday after the first full moon of the equinox, and Halloween has always been the last day of October.
I don't even like people deciding when Trick or Treat is. Halloween is Halloween, no matter how convenient or not it may be to a city council.

The idea of making a federal holiday has it's merits. Like Christmas, it has huge appeal for the masses, apart from it's spiritual meaning for a large and growing religious community - my problem is, I'd rather have the day after. I'm up until dawn on All Hallows. My Jack O' Lantern flickers until dawn.

·
Registered
941 Posts
I do like the idea of making Halloween a national holiday, or maybe better yet, All Souls Day, November 1st, so that everyone gets the day after off!

·
Seer of All
2,939 Posts
Call me a purist but it just has to be October 31st for me. That way, we get the whole month of October to enjoy. I just can't imagine having 5 or 6 days left in October but halloween is already over. Seems like that would be a real downer...

·
Registered
73 Posts
No thanks. Halloween has been celebrated on the same day for thousands of years. Changing the day would ruin all the magic.

Agreed, this is purely for commercial interest.

Halloween, October 31st

Ditto. There's no way I'd vote to change the day any earlier than what is traditionally celebrated.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Has to be Oct. 31st for me too. I like looking forward to a year when Halloween falls on a weekend or even better a full moon - it makes for an extra special night that year. Actually I'd much more prefer it if we could guarantee good weather for the big night - no rain, no snow, just perfect weather year after year. Now THAT is something to get excited about!

1 - 20 of 202 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.