Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I came home from work today and went over to the TV to turn on the QVC Spirit Halloween special (I love DVR)... only to find out that it wasn't there... well, long story short, my roommate deleted it! When I asked him why he said, "Dude, you don't need to spend any more money on Halloween stuff...there's a line, go and find it!" and then, "It's like you're obsessed with Halloween... you make it where it's not even fun anymore" (Bit of back-story on my roommate, basically if something takes work, outside of schoolwork, then it's not fun and so he doesn't do it...planning for a trip, any of that.)

I honestly got really mad... especially because I've talked to him about Halloween TWICE, he saw me making my Halloween prop/FCG and he said that I wasn't doing anything but wasting my money and that I should be doing something productive with my time. WTFH?! :confused::mad:

Typical Ghoul Next Door
Unless it's his money and time, then he has no say. :)

I'd be really angry if someone deleted a program I was wanting to watch. He had no right to do that... roommates only work if you respect each others' things and he's not doing that.

Halloween is YOUR hobby. Just like collecting stamps, fantasy football, horseback riding or any other hobby. People "waste time" doing hobbies that they ENJOY. Just because it's not something he gets, (thereby becoming a "waste of time" in his mind) doesn't invalidate the enjoyment YOU get out of it.

Maybe time for a refresher on keeping his snoot out of your business and that his opinion is just that - HIS opinion? :)

Registered
Don't let him get you down. I have friends at school who don't get the whole Halloween thing either. I told them that I went out and bought props last weekend. There response "Didn't you buy some a few years ago?" I just said that you wouldn't understand and we went on too a different subject. Not everyone likes everything, and since Halloween is something that takes alot of work, money and time, unlike some other hobbies, other people don't want to do it. But when it comes to looking at the decorations and how amazed they are at what we can pull off, then they have a different opinion.

Halloween AA Member
I'm so sorry to hear that. I wish we could all live in one city together, and all be friends. Then we wouldn't be alone in the people around us. I find it very hard that I don't have any friends that share my hobby as much as I do. At least I have all of you.

I would plan a little revenge and delete something of his, just so he knows how you feel.

Registered
As I have posted in other threads, the Q spirit offerings were very few. Honestly, you didn't really miss anything. When you add up the costs for all these gemmy type props, it really isn't worth it imo. They are cheaply made and mark up is insane and then you hope they work from year to year. This is my reminder that making your own props is cheaper and more rewarding. Halloween does not have to cost a fortune. But if you hand over hundreds and hundreds for gemmies, it certainly will.

Halloween is probably still fun for you. Your roomate no longer is. Keep the spirit...so to speak.

Dan

Registered
Hmm, sounds like he has a really promising and happy future considering he isn't willing to put work into much of anything:rolleyes:.
Hopefully, this is very much a temporary situation, so keep up your Halloween spirit, even if he doesn't share it. Some people are just pills, and I think he has found his own line that he is threatening to cross. It doesn't sound like you are imposing anything on him, but he sure is imposing on you, even if it isn't in a fully material way.

Girl Gone Mad
Guess this would explain why I am such an introvert...no one understands unless they are in the same boat. Doesn't do any good trying to explain it...and honestly I have no desire to waste what little breath I have in my body to try and convince anyone why I am the way I am. If they see and don't like than they can go look at something else. (sorry, just irks me when people mess up things for you just because THEY don't like it or think it's right)

Yes, you should consider getting another roommate, or if you can afford it, get your own place so you don't have to worry about things like this happening.

Otherwise i would set some grounding and tell him not to touch your things, including DVR shows if he expects you not to touch his.

Registered
I'm so sorry to hear that. I wish we could all live in one city together, and all be friends. Then we wouldn't be alone in the people around us. I find it very hard that I don't have any friends that share my hobby as much as I do. At least I have all of you.

I would plan a little revenge and delete something of his, just so he knows how you feel.
I agree, I would be deleting his key from the doorlock....

AKA - S.M. Barrett
Couple of things...

First of all, it is not anyone's job to make Halloween fun for your room mate. That's up to him.

Two, if he won't respect the things you love and care about, then there's no reason to trust him in your home.

Three, if you have any halloween plans, consider excluding him. Let him know you respect his choice to be productive with his life and that you have no intention of bothering him with complete wastes of time.

Four, delete a few of his favorite programs and tell him you didn't think he needed to waste his time on them. He makes those decisions for you, so turn about is fair play. He doesn't get to whine about this, period.

Five, BEFORE you do any of the above, ask him if he'd like to make a prop or a costume. Show him all the stuff that's out there, all the cool crap people have come up with. Better yet, tell him you'd really appreciate his help with a prop you are making. Do something together, and listen to his imput and ideas.

And if this leads to his inviting you to do something with him that he likes, go for it, no matter how much of a waste of time his particular interests are.

...or ignore all of the above and just have him read this thread.

Good Ghoul Gone Bad
If my roommate deleted something off my Tivo, I'd have no choice but to get even. You know, the old "scrub the toilet with his toothbrush" kind of thing. But you have to be really careful, 'cause it's a 2-way street. Get rid of him and you'll feel much better. Bad roommates can be a living hell.
As long as you're paying your share of the expenses, it's none of his business what you do with your time and money.

Clarification: Not A Man
I don't know how to get him to live and let live with your Halloween love, but you may be able to get him to stop deleting programs for the stupid reasoning of "you're spending too much money on it".

One is to let him know that you will do the same one day to a program he enjoys, and if this deleting of programs is a common occurrence, just outright delete a show "on accident".

The other is to explain to him that watching a show on a network to purchase items, doesn't mean you are actually going to buy anything, you just want to see whats out there. He lets you watch TV ads and infomercials right? That's all the QVC show is going to liken to and seeing something doesn't mean you have to buy it.

I wouldn't recommend anything harmful to him, just something that will make him mad, like what he has done to you. And if nothing else, put up signs looking for a new room mate, and when you get one confirmed, tell him to leave. Or put up as much Halloween stuff as you can, play Halloween music and be generally haunted all the time until he gets fed up and leaves. :D

Creepy Clown Is Redundant
He sounds like a real winner , let me know and I'll put my foot up his a$$ !!

Registered
ChangedReality, Do you share a tv and cable together? If so, I would check into the each of you having your own. I agree with 13mummy, it would be nice to have a halloween city. It is sad not to have friends or family to share the love, fun and joy that we all get from this hobby. :(

Seer of All
Learn how to password protect your recordings and start looking for a new room mate. As far as "finding a line", this one has crossed it!

Registered
Oooh wow I'm sorry to hear he's being such a jerk. If you're paying what you need to pay for then he shouldn't think he has a say in what you watch, buy, or do. Does he give you a hard time when you're decorating? I know you were planning on doing the apartment this year. He won't mess up any of your stuff will he that you have?

1 - 20 of 50 Posts