Halloween Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all - figured I’d carve out a place to post build progress and details on a motion simulator I’m building. I love the idea of a dark ride but don’t have time or space to build a track etc. I’ve seen variations on this idea on the forums, but haven’t seen one completed.

Originally I was going to use a series of pneumatic cylinders to accomplish this, but have since opted for long throw air suspension components. I think some creative engineering can get me a bit more height/angle than just the throw of the bags. Planning to use a BooBox flex max to drive this, purchased. This will be an “on rails” experience this year (think star tours, back to the future ride, etc.) and if it works well I may extend to an interactive ride.

if anyone has input, I welcome it! I also welcome questions, I’m happy to share anything I’m doing. Till the next update, happy haunting.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Minor progress update, started receiving some of the parts. I have sources 9.7” throw airbags and will be running this with 8 - 1/2” 1 way solenoids to control up/down/left/right/front/back actuation. Settled on the BooBox flex max as a controller, so far very easy to “program”. It will be backed by a 12 gallon truck bed air tank with a one way check valve off of my 30gal compressor, hoping this gives me sufficient run time.

Currently I’m working on a black paint Mix for the projection screen and aiming for a 1.2 gain. It will be tested with our xga viewsonic 2500 lu projector and out optima uhl55 4k projector to see which performs best in this case.

more to come as this progresses.

·
BAD INFLUENCE
11,446 Posts
I was looking at the picture and wondering how many air bags you're using? If only 4 are you using 2 solenoids per bag? Looking forward to the build.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I was looking at the picture and wondering how many air bags you're using? If only 4 are you using 2 solenoids per bag? Looking forward to the build.
yes - 2x 1/2" 12vdc solenoids per bag. 1X air in, 1x air out. Similar to how a truck would do it for independent corner control. I'm using truck components as they seem to be an ideal fit for both low power consumption solenoids and very strong bags. in the (bad) diagram I made below the only current change is the air accumulator will have the manifold built-in, I've ordered a truck bed tank.

Additionally, my intent is to reduce the platform base dimensions to a minimum so it allows a more dramatic max angle. IE: a 36" platform at a max 10" lift works out to about 16.5 deg max in any direction - however, a 24" platform would allow for closer to 23 deg max. This should also allow the weight to be more focused and ease the compression of the bags + speed up deflate sequences. again, these are educated guess/hopes.

building a POC soon - this will determine if the bags will work (can be engineered around) or if I revert to a cylinder setup and 2 way cantilevered platform - this was the original thought but it's much more work

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
not directly related but I thought it would be helpful for people. I made this easy to understand Solenoid diagram - I always get frustrated with the schematics and wanted an easier quick reference for myself. if you don't see a kind of solenoid you would like on it PM me with the details, I'll happily add it. IE; X ports X way preferably.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quick update on the project: Covid-19 has delivery/shipping all jacked up, but I have finally received one of the last parts of the puzzle... an air accumulator tank. I chose to go with a "truck bed" 12-gallon model. This decision was partly for volume, form factor, but mostly the fact that it has 8x 1/2" inlets/outlets - this allows me to forgo a distribution block and the bottleneck associated. There will be a one-way valve attached so air from my 30 gal compressor flows into the accumulator but not back. so for now, here is the beastly tank..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts