Halloween Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so call me a cheap cheap [email protected]$ter but i need some C9 type orange and purple and red lights for my halloween set up, now if any of you have notice these on most site are just too expensive for me to justify paying $8 for 25count set of lights when i have a ton of white ones i could use. my question is does any one know of an effective way of painting these lights different colors? it would really help me out cause i can just replace the white ones in nov. when they're $3 a pop at lowes.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Michael's arts and crafts had at one time a glass paint. and I remember seeing a DIY Network show on coating low watt bulbs with silicon of some kind so you could make spike and ETC. on the bulbs. Call an art store and ask. It has been years since I worked there.

Please if anyone else knows better pipe up.

·
Registered
266 Posts
IDK, I have purchased them after Christmas. I might try some of the Krylon Latex spray. Love that stuff, goes on so smooth.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I have used glass stain to color my regular clear light bulbs. I dont know what wattage you can go up to but I have used it for a few years on bulbs as high as 60 watt bulbs. Got it from walmart in the crafts department. Its Glass Stains. comes in a box with many different colors per box kinda looks like the old kids paints in the strip of plastic containers all connected.
Just a thought for ya...

·
Registered
613 Posts
Go to your local craft store and pick up glass paint. It should work fine. Most chains will at least carry the 8/10 color set with a brush, though some might have individual bottles.

I know you'd prefer not to spend the money, but Christmas Light Etc. has very good prices on C9 bulbs. The twinkling bulbs are over $8 for a set of 25, but your choice of transparent or opaque bulbs in red, orange (amber), and purple are $5.75 for 25. I'm not sure if that's reasonable or not for you budget. I only needed 50 bulbs to go across the top of the house, so it wound up being about $20 with shipping. The bulbs came well packed in divided boxes that allow me to store the Christmas bulbs, in their proper order, while the Halloween bulbs go in.

The C9 bulbs are only 9 Watts, so I'd say they're pretty low watt bulbs. If you can find the heat setting glass paint, it's probably the best DIY choice.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts