Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After months of prep and three very excited kids, I just found out our eldest boy has Whooping Cough.

That means the entire family is quarantined for five days. No trick or treating. No visitors to the house. Our Halloween party for 30 guests has just been cancelled. Kids are crying.

Not a good day.

·
The Big Kahuna of Fright
4,329 Posts
Bloody 'ell, mate, talk about last minute. Sorry to hear about the little bloke, but, like people are saying, make the most of it. All the Best!

·
Registered
14,085 Posts
After months of prep and three very excited kids, I just found out our eldest boy has Whooping Cough.

That means the entire family is quarantined for five days. No trick or treating. No visitors to the house. Our Halloween party for 30 guests has just been cancelled. Kids are crying.

Not a good day.

Oh, sorry to hear and hope your eldest is better soon. I know whooping cough has had outbreaks here in the States and seen the public service alerts here. Not sure much about treatment but hope your whole family makes it through the quarantine fine. Can't imagine how disappointed the kids are and hope the 5 days will pass quickly. I can see 5 days with everyone in a family sealed up together not always being a fun experience.

As for Halloween, it's a spirit. Don't cancel your party just reschecule. Everyone will understand and I bet they are all wanting to have fun regardless of the date. Lots of people have parties on other weekend dates. Besides you'll have 5 days at least to get ready and give the kids something to focus on that will be fun while in quarantine. Good time for some family spooky movies. Hope the little guy is feeling better real soon and the coughing has quieted.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
I'm with capo33, make it a family affair, spooky movies and games pig out on junk food, enjoy your own haunted house! Hope your son gets well soon, send him all our "best witches" from here at the Forum.

Ghost of Spookie made some good points! It is a spirit, and folks will understand. A few years a go we had a storm take out our power about an hour before our party. I was completely bummed out but it was my wife who recommended having it the following Friday. It turned out great, a good number of our guests were able to reschedule, and it took so much stress off of us because everything was ready! One of our best parties.

Whatever you do, good luck.

1,315 Posts
Goodness I can relate. The year when the kids were in 2nd and 4th grades Chicken Pox hit hard... seems a lot of families had kids in those 2 grades at the same time. Had to cancel the kids BIG Halloween party. Like suggested we just moved the date to one when everyone was better, I think it was the second weekend in Nov. No one missed out on the trick or treating I just allowed all the kids to trick or treat at my door.... Kid A waits for kid b to ring the bell passes out treats to al the kids outside the door. Kid B gets treats to pass out and at the end of the line Kid A goes out and is the new end. Kid C now rings the bell and Kid B passes out treats on and on and on till everyone has had a chance to answer the door and pass out treats and to ring the bell. The added bonus to a post Halloween party was all the free pumpkins I got from the patch to decorate with and all the CHEAP discounted stuff in the stores I could make use of.

Hope everyone is feeling better and you have a great post Halloween party.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Oh, I'm sorry to hear that! Whooping Cough is no joke, so it's best to just rest & recuperate, and get lots of vitamins so hopefully the rest of your family won't catch it. I hope you will get to celebrate with your family even though you aren't having your original party - catch up on some favorite movies & keep decorating, and maybe you can host your party just a bit late!

·
Going bump in the night..
3,388 Posts
Here's hoping everyone gets through this quick and easy.

If you have a proper backyard (or other private yard space), perhaps it would be fun for the family to have a Halloween bonfire, with cookout foods and some good, old fashioned scary campfire stories. Make it a spooky witches night for the kids.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Oh nooooooooooooooo! We had the same thing happen a few years ago, youngest got pertussis (despite the vax & boosters)...I am so sorry...wear a mask to the grocery store so you don't infect anybody (or ask a friend to run out for you), grab yourself some cider, apples and caramels, set up tons of awesome H'ween movies and make caramel apples...pop corn...make it your own little party...just you guys.

I so feel you, my oldest son (now age 27) had chicken pox one Thanksgiving, and my husband, I and the two little ones have puked our way through two Christmas Days so far.

Hope your little one gets better soon.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I used to get so bummed out when the plans I made got messed up but I have come to realize that things usually end up being better for the detour. Like many said, you could always reschedule the original party and come up with some really awesome things to do at home just for the family. Most of all, have fun and make sure to take care of yourself while you are tending the others!!

·
Registered
720 Posts
Sorry to hear that! Hope it goes by fast!

Here's an idea: why don't you hide some candy around the house (like Eggs on Easter) and have the kids find it. It's the next best thing to ToTing, I think. Then watch some movies while you all rest up :)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts