Halloween Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking over some halloween decor/props over on e bay. I use to buy stuff from there alot but shipping and even initial list prices have gotten pretty expensive. I still find some cool things that I like and ocasionally will buy something (found some Gemmy lanterns I really love for example); but it makes me wonder how much does e bay charge sellers for listing and closing on a prop for example? Wondering if the sellers are asking what they do to make up for high fees they're charged. I've only been a buyer so really have no reference point on this. Down the road I might want to sell some items if it makes sense..although I hate packing and mailing things. For example if you wanted to sell a prop for $50, what kind of fees would be taken out? I assume you get a discounted shipping rate thru them or am I wrong?

Other than Craigslist, which I haven't had great success locating items on, are there other organized places to find halloween items? I'm not into driving around for yard sales or flea markets, both have been low return for me in my area, and I already hit up the Goodwill shop. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
eBay's cut on any item sold is 10% and PayPal is around 3.7%, even on the shipping cost. Sellers have to add 13% to the actual shipping cost just to break even. High volume sellers get a bit of a break, but not much.

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
Ebay and Paypal both charge fees on shipping, which is why many sellers offer free shipping and just raise the price of the item as much as they can to cover it. You have to pay it anyway, so why not just make it easier for the buyers to know up front what their total is? That's what I usually do.

Ebay did this because there were some sellers listing $20 items for $10 to save on fees but making up for it by charging more on shipping. Ebay started charging for both to put a stop to that. At the same time, they began soliciting business from big retailers. Most of them get better deals from UPS and Fed Ex so it's much more difficult for small sellers to compete, but ebay hasn't been geared towards small sellers for a long time.

On the plus side, ebay did give all sellers at least 50 free listings a month, so you only have to pay if your item sells.

·
Funeral Crasher
7,435 Posts
Sometimes E-bay will run a promotion where you can list items for free for about a week. But they still take their 10% commission. (I think 5% should be plenty for them.)
Then if the buyer pays by Paypal, you lose another percentage.
But, I guess it's worth it just to get your item viewed worldwide and give it that much more chance of selling.

·
My other ride is a Ninja
11,008 Posts
I sell and buy on esty and have been very happy with it you must look around though cause as like ebay some jack the prices crazy .
but I find most of my goodies at good will and

·
Registered
536 Posts
I got away from ebay selling because of the fees. After moving, I tried to downsize my Disney collection to fit the area I had in our new house. I wanted to make some money to do other things, but ended up getting burned on fees and other issues. I had international bidders hounding me to sell to them, which drastically increases shipping, and then they complained when I told them that the shipping quoted was for the US only.
The thing that really ended my ebay career is that I had one bidder that claimed that everything they received was broken and demanded a refund. I had insured the items through the postal service, so I had the buyer start the process with them to make a claim since the items would have had to have been damaged in transit. They did this, but also put in an accusation with Paypal, which with the "buyer protection" policy they have, automatically gave the buyer a full refund for the items sold without even checking on what was happening with my end of things, and charged me the balance. In the end, this buyer collected from both me and the postal service and left me negative feedback that will sit on my record making me look bad for a whole year. Now the rest of that collection that I was going to sell is sitting in a storage area until I find a better way of selling it. I buy a lot from ebay, but as a seller, I would never use it again.
If you chose to sell with them, my advice would be that anything large or breakable be sent through the UPS store. Let them pack it and get plenty of insurance. Also, screen your buyers. If they have no feedback or very negative feedback, I would be wary of accepting their bid. I would rather close an auction and pay the little listing fee and not get conned than risk losing money and getting negative feedback.

·
Registered
13,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys, this has been informative. I tried checking things out on their site but they don't exactly come out and spell it out for you as far as the fees from what i can tell. There use to be another site years ago I also frequented for auctions, don't even recall the name any more, but I think e bay pretty much mopped them up.

I have bought from a few Esty venders but it really isn't the same merchandise as e bay if that's what you are looking for. I bought some clay molds for my Egyptian theme, wanted to include them near my mummy's wrappings that some tomb raider was stealing from, very nice designs BTW, and more recently picked up some rubber skeleton fish as mentioned. If i wasn't buying for halloween props, I'd probably find more on Esty that i liked.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I found a place called haunterauctions.com that promotes itself as 100% free to buy and sell haunt and halloween related items, but they are still trying to get the word out, so not too many people have items listed. Looks promising if they can ever get it off the ground...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts