Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 130 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello ghouls and fiends,

I know some of you could disagree with me, but I really think it's stupid how some people say "Halloween is an evil day!" or "Halloween is the Devil's Birthday!". I personally think it's a bunch of crap. The devil is a worthless freak who tries to make people do bad things. I think Halloween is a day of Thrill and Fun. Not devils and satanist stuff! Halloween is about creatures that are of myth. And candy. :rolleyes:

Does any disagree or agree with me?

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
I actually had never heard of anyone being told that H'ween is the "devil's birthday" until I came on here...I have heard it facetiously called the devil's play day or the devil's heyday, or the devil's holiday, etc.

I'm wondering how it's possible for anyone to know when the devil's birthday is. It's not listed in the Bible and I never get an Outlook reminder for it or anything.

Oh well...(sigh) I guess I'd better do the polite thing and get the devil a gift this year, then. I'm thinking a swamp cooler. I know it works well for us and there's no way hell could possibly be hotter than a SoCal summer.

So thanks for the heads up. :D

·
Reaper Queen
8,621 Posts
LMAO!!! Mel!!!!!! too funny!!

I have been told that I must worship the devil if I do halloween,,, people,,, really,,, read history,, not your made up in your own mind history,,, the TRUE history of how it came about,,, people are so ignorant some times!!!!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
LMAO!!! Mel!!!!!! too funny!!

I have been told that I must worship the devil if I do halloween,,, people,,, really,,, read history,, not your made up in your own mind history,,, the TRUE history of how it came about,,, people are so ignorant some times!!!!
I totally agree with you! People can be dumb as a brick!

·
Somewhat Eccentric
2,278 Posts
The only time I've ever encountered anything like this was last year when I stopped at a small thrift store when I had to travel to the DMV for my drivers license renewal. It was run by a local church (can't recall which denomination, not that it matters) and asked if they had any Halloween items as it was mid-October. I was met with dirty looks from the two ladies at the counter and told that they did not do Halloween. I paid for my few items and left. Another lady who was also shopping followed me outside and apologized. She told me that the group that ran the thrift store viewed Halloween as "the day of the devil."

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The only time I've ever encountered anything like this was last year when I stopped at a small thrift store when I had to travel to the DMV for my drivers license renewal. It was run by a local church (can't recall which denomination, not that it matters) and asked if they had any Halloween items as it was mid-October. I was met with dirty looks from the two ladies at the counter and told that they did not do Halloween. I paid for my few items and left. Another lady who was also shopping followed me outside and apologized. She told me that the group that ran the thrift store viewed Halloween as "the day of the devil."
I'm Catholic and some of the people say Halloween is evil, but most Priest I've known said to me that Halloween is a fun day and a Nun told me you dress up as something scary to scare away evil spirits.

·
Kitchen/Green Witch
6,606 Posts
I've never heard of it being the Devil's birthday...but I do hear about it being an evil type of day and such. Sigh. I really wish people would read some history before picking on my Halloween!! It infuriates me...just as much as people thinking witchcraft is Devil worship. There have been so many people I've had to explain the holiday to over the years...it's sad. These people need to have a little joy in their lives, instead of blindly believing everything around you is evil! With the age of the internet, it's not all that difficult to look up the facts!

·
Kitchen/Green Witch
6,606 Posts
I'm Catholic and some of the people say Halloween is evil, but most Priest I've known said to me that Halloween is a fun day and a Nun told me you dress up as something scary to scare away evil spirits.
Hiding from and chasing away spirits and evil beings is, in fact, the main reason for the whole dressing up part of Halloween. That is correct. It was thought the spirits of the dead were allowed to return on All Hallows Eve, so people would dress up in scary costumes, or even rags and ash, to lead the spirits to believe they were also not living human beings.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
I may be wrong but I thought the same thing about gargoyles...that they are not vessels for demons, etc but actually to scare them away. I mean Notre Dame in Paris has bunches of them on it, right?

·
Somewhat Eccentric
2,278 Posts
I've never heard of it being the Devil's birthday...but I do hear about it being an evil type of day and such. Sigh. I really wish people would read some history before picking on my Halloween!! It infuriates me...just as much as people thinking witchcraft is Devil worship. There have been so many people I've had to explain the holiday to over the years...it's sad. These people need to have a little joy in their lives, instead of blindly believing everything around you is evil! With the age of the internet, it's not all that difficult to look up the facts!
When you stop and think about it, how many people really know the true origins of that other overly-commercialized holiday? People tend to go with the flow without checking the facts.

·
Kitchen/Green Witch
6,606 Posts
When you stop and think about it, how many people really know the true origins of that other overly-commercialized holiday? People tend to go with the flow without checking the facts.
Yeah, it's the same for many, if not most, holidays. When I celebrate a holiday, I tend to celebrate both sides...the current holiday practices AND some of the old, original practices.

·
Kitchen/Green Witch
6,606 Posts
...and yes, Gargoyles ARE meant to be protectors. When I lived back home, as a teenager, I had gargoyle statues on my dresser and a gargoyle wind chime right outside my bedroom window! Hmmm...now that I think about it, I wonder if any of my gargoyles are still there...I could use one for my house!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
...and yes, Gargoyles ARE meant to be protectors. When I lived back home, as a teenager, I had gargoyle statues on my dresser and a gargoyle wind chime right outside my bedroom window! Hmmm...now that I think about it, I wonder if any of my gargoyles are still there...I could use one for my house!
Everyone thinks that if something is scary it must be evil! Did it ever occur to them that God created Scary stuff for a reason? Who knows, monster could be our protectors? Not every Angle has blonde hair and wears white. Maybe there is an angle that looks like a gargoyle or something scary! I don't really know, but I'm just saying.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Yeah I'm a christian and I think some people don't like that I decorate for Halloween. Supposedly evil things happen that night. I just see it as being fun. Its not like I'm practicing some evil ritual and worshipping the devil. I'm dressing up and giving out candy. People don't think of all the pagan stuff associated with Christmas and Easter. Churches still put trees in the church and hunt Easter eggs and call it Easter which is after a goddess. Then they say "well I'm not worshipping the tree and its merely a decoration". Ditto.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah I'm a christian and I think some people don't like that I decorate for Halloween. Supposedly evil things happen that night. I just see it as being fun. Its not like I'm practicing some evil ritual and worshipping the devil. I'm dressing up and giving out candy. People don't think of all the pagan stuff associated with Christmas and Easter. Churches still put trees in the church and hunt Easter eggs and call it Easter which is after a goddess. Then they say "well I'm not worshipping the tree and its merely a decoration". Ditto.
Thanks for replying! I agree with you. I knew a very strict Catholic family who told me I would go to hell for doing it. Halloween is something God created for fun and thrill. He want's us to be happy and if Halloween makes us happy then so be it! And plus, who doesn't like sweets? :)

1 - 20 of 130 Posts