Halloween Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone get any insurance for their Halloween event? I will be putting up a cemetery display in my yard. The kids will be able to walk through it to get the treats. If anyone does buy extra insurance where do you get it from..
Thank you

·
Registered
1 Posts
If you are concerned about liability coverage, regular homeowners insurance should provide some coverage you (as long as you do not charge admission). You should read your policy carefully and talk to your agent. Renters insurance typically covers liability also. If you have lots of visitors, you may want to up your liability limits. I have opted for the maximum limits my insurance allows. Additionally, my carrier (State Farm) has an umbrella liability policy that I purchased separately from my homeowners. That policy extends my liability coverage to one million. This umbrella policy was relatively cheap (under $200/yr) for my husband and I. Even better, it covers not only Halloween visitors to my home, but also liability resulting from other accidents, which are far more likely to occur.

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
You might get a "Rider" on your own liability insurance ,a small additional premium.
It seems as if once you get this insurance, that they raise it every year.. just "Because"?
The local JCs had a policy that covered everything they might do.. then someone said:"Let's get a "rider"!
After about two more years I suggested that the JCs write the insurance as the insurance man would build and run the haunt, that way WE would make more money!
There was no money left for the JCs in that project after the insurance was paid.
Our original policy covered all of our events,from kite flying to anything else one could think of doing.
Did I say how many JCs were Insurance agents? Don't ask.
Have any walk ways well lit.
Don't chase people.
Don't allow running.
Check closely for trip -hazards.
Remember how the weather can change. A big wind whips up and things begin to tumble and fall,displays and actual trees (dead limbs? Waiting to fall?)
A live drop-cord now in a puddle of rain water ?
Keep the staggering, screaming drunks out... even if he is your insurance agent!

·
Registered
237 Posts
If you are concerned about liability coverage, regular homeowners insurance should provide some coverage you (as long as you do not charge admission). You should read your policy carefully and talk to your agent. Renters insurance typically covers liability also. If you have lots of visitors, you may want to up your liability limits. I have opted for the maximum limits my insurance allows. Additionally, my carrier (State Farm) has an umbrella liability policy that I purchased separately from my homeowners. That policy extends my liability coverage to one million. This umbrella policy was relatively cheap (under $200/yr) for my husband and I. Even better, it covers not only Halloween visitors to my home, but also liability resulting from other accidents, which are far more likely to occur.
Agree with deborahbh. When we did the home/yard haunt we increased our liability to one million on our agents advice (he is also a neighbor). It only cost $12 a month more for this. I think it's well worth it to make sure you are covered in case of accidents.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts