Halloween Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
i have neighbors within 30 yards and they are such duds!

i will be moving to the country and i intend not to be deterred....i can't wait to put the graveyard in the close woods. and spectres...and skeletons.

·
Registered
600 Posts
We live in town .. But I grew up in the country. We'd get just a handful of kids every year. As far as trick or treating as a kid, my parent would drive us to the houses that participated locally .. But then we'd head to town to finish off the night.

As far as decorating .. My parents didn't .. But I did some as a kid and they always encouraged me to.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I grew up in the country, and my parents still live there. They don't decorate a lot for Halloween, but they invite all the kids they know to come out, and some of them do. My parents enjoy seeing the costumes.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
It seems like Halloween all year long here. Nearest neighbors are 100 yards away through thick woods and streams. Hundreds of acres of woods behind us and to the sides. Deer and other wildlife plus all the insect sounds. No TOTs except family, but we have a Halloween party. Life on the mountain...

·
Registered
86 Posts
I grew up and still technically live near the mountains. Pretty sparse as far as neighbors go. We never got ToTers at my house but my parents would always drive us to relatives houses to ToT and to my friend's house because she lived in an area (okay, a holler) where there were lots of neighbors and that was similar to what you see in movies like Hocus Pocus (well, with only a few houses decorated but still.) And at our house we'd throw up a few little things just so we could admire them even if no one ever saw our place unless they came to it directly. But in some of the slightly larger rural towns nearby there would be haunted forests and hayrides and corn mazes so those were fun to drive out to once I got my own car.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
My closest neighbors are dead. Litterally, we live in front of a cemetary. We have a forest on one side and a gas station about 4 acres away on the other.

We get one trick or treater a year if we are lucky. I do have a Halloween party. Never had a noise complaint.

1,309 Posts
Live 5 miles outside of what once was a smallish town... grown a lot since we moved here a major bedroom community with a major grocery chain now in town... and only 2 Starbucks... still no McD's however.

Back in the 80's when we moved here it was the midst of the big tainted Tylenol scare. Newscasters reported which hospitals were x-raying trick or treat bags and Malls held yuky candy trick or treating hours. Nothing was happening out in the boonies. To this day I've never had a ToT. When the kids were young they'd get together with other out in the boonie kids and us parents would drive them to a few houses of people we really knew on the way into town. I recall on year the kids wanted to try ToT at the lake so into the van with the doors open driving from house to house in a minor traffic jam with other parents driving kids house to house... Trucks has the advantage as the kids only had to jump in & out of the beds. So even though I had a kid or 2 who live close enough to maybe walk... say half a mile they never came as they were in the car with my kids going into town or from house to house.

Even less happens out in our boonies since Town started doing business trick or treating hours and one of the churches started doing a trunk or treating thing in the chain grocery parking lot before dusk so everyone heads into town early for that and then just spreads out into all the new housing developments.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
What WitchyPoo said :)
Our nearest neighbors are about 1/4 mile away via the road (which is practically urban compared to where I grew up!) We don't have a long driveway, though, so people driving by on the road can see the front yard decor. That's not hordes of people, but over the course of the month, it's quite a few.
Being in the country means:
I have a lot of yard space to decorate if I choose to.
None of the neighbors are going to be inconvenienced by the way I set up my lighting.
I have all the cornstalks I could possibly want, and I can get straw bales from the neighbors.
There is no housing authority to dictate any how/when/where I decorate.
I have room to grow masses of pumpkins, gourds and broom corn.
I can serve truly fresh apple cider from own apple trees.
I've never had a prop stolen or vandalized.
When the kids were younger and had parties, we could (and did) give haunted hay rides in the big bale rack (wagon), around some cornfields and through the edge of the woods.
While we do have very few ToT's, we can have a big party, and there's plenty of room for everyone to park.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts