Halloween Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We should make this a thing, say the last Saturday of July.

The end of July is warm, so people don't have to incorporate long-John's into their costumes (like we do in northern climes). It's during a break in school (for both college and the kids). The weather is generally pretty nice, without too much rain, so people are more up for fun parties.
The date is arbitrary, so we wouldn't really need to worry about the fact that some people already do a Christmas in July.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
That sounds cool, but what I always felt about "Two Halloweens" was, how about Walpurgisnacht? (Pronounced vahl-poor-gish-knocked, I think. Or easier, Walpurgis Night.) It's already a "real" holiday (in some parts of Europe), it has an old tradition, it has witches ;) and it's April 30, a fairly warm time for most of us, probably. Like Halloween, it's supposedly a "witch's last revel" night before a saint's day. And to make things even cooler, the Dutch name for it is Hexennacht. Anything with the word "hex" in it has got to make for a great holiday! Clincher: it's almost exactly 6 months between H'ween and W'nacht and then back again.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walpurgis_Night

It's celebrated in all different ways. I like Finland's take on it: a giant carnival, a bonfire, funnel cakes and lots of alcohol!

Actually I probably post about Walpurgisnacht here every April, LOL. It doesn't seem to be catching on but I feel there's still hope... :D

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
My Ravens Grin Inn has been open almost every night for these last 28 years.
My wife took a phone call today,a woman complaining that she spent $25 for a haunt ticket recently, and the entire experience was only ten minutes in duration.
Then she asked how long is the tour here?
"Usually around 90 minutes." (For $15.00) (I wonder if she believed her?)
I look forward to entertaining people and many of them do feel entertained after 90 minutes.
The house has many features that might be found within a Gothic novel .
It also has a long and strange history,which i might speak of at length. *(I like doing that also)
After my Wife and I had met one another she almost accused me of getting my ideas for this house from a video game she used to play called "Maniac Mansion".
Funny thing is, I had never played any video games in my life and had never heard of the game.

Reactions: spookydave

·
Clarification: Not A Man
1,187 Posts
There's a kid's show called Gravity Falls, in it the characters are introduced to the odd small town's ritual of 'Summerween'. It's Halloween but in mid June [the 22nd I think], with carved jack-o-melons, costumes and candy. That's roughly around the summer solstice, a holiday to many.

It's not terribly out of the ordinary, imo, to simply want a costume party any time of year. If you have cooperative neighbors, a costume party can become a block party with a bit of trick or treating thrown in.
Some kind of Halloween like celebration where costumes don't have to be built for snow, sleet, rain and cold would be fun.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
A local ghost story author does a tour every year at a local haunt on that night on Witch's Mountain off of Hex Road. Our area has a rich tradition of Pennsylvanian Dutch folklore. Check out this link. I've been to many of these places.

http://www.gogreaterreading.com/haunts-hexes/

·
Super Moderator
5,921 Posts
That sounds cool, but what I always felt about "Two Halloweens" was, how about Walpurgisnacht? (Pronounced vahl-poor-gish-knocked, I think. Or easier, Walpurgis Night.) It's already a "real" holiday (in some parts of Europe), it has an old tradition, it has witches ;) and it's April 30, a fairly warm time for most of us, probably. Like Halloween, it's supposedly a "witch's last revel" night before a saint's day. And to make things even cooler, the Dutch name for it is Hexennacht. Anything with the word "hex" in it has got to make for a great holiday! Clincher: it's almost exactly 6 months between H'ween and W'nacht and then back again.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walpurgis_Night

It's celebrated in all different ways. I like Finland's take on it: a giant carnival, a bonfire, funnel cakes and lots of alcohol!

Actually I probably post about Walpurgisnacht here every April, LOL. It doesn't seem to be catching on but I feel there's still hope... :D
We do a Walpurgisnacht display every year. I wonder what the neighbors think...

·
Registered
23 Posts
As much as I love Halloween and the anticipation leading up to it and as much as I miss it when it's gone, I feel like once a year is enough for me. That's what makes me miss it when it's gone and that's what makes me look forward to it the following year. I was also raised and live in a place that has 4 seasons. Spring is spring, summer is summer, fall is fall and winter is winter. I always equate Halloween with fall. The air is different, the scenery is different. I was at my friends in Florida a few years ago for Halloween and no offence to Florida but I just couldn't get into the Halloween spirit there. I felt like I should be on a beach or in a pool sipping fruity cocktails, not celebrating the Halloween I'm used to (crisp air, darker nights, leaves everywhere.. Etc). So for me, Halloween in the summer just wouldn't be the same but I wish it could be

·
Creepin' It Real
2,038 Posts
I've been rained out for the last three years and my frustration that I haven't been able to show off my pretties has become all-consuming. Definitely looking for an alternative date. Right now I am leaning toward the fall Equinox. The weather is good, the foliage is at least starting to look autumnal, and my back yard is sufficiently secluded to allow me to set up in stages for as long as it takes to put out the huge themed displays that are my love. I'd probably leave it up until the weather started to turn, then replace it with a fun display full of weather-resistant items for the ToTs.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts