Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So happy to say I am getting married the Saturday before Halloween and making my lifelong dreams of an October wedding come true. We will be on our Honeymoon over Halloween and while we are actually staying in New Hampshire in a beautiful home on a lake we will be just a little over an hour from Salem and definitely plan to make a trip or two. We have lots of relaxing fall fun planned but was hoping some of you may have been to Salem and have favorite places to dine, see or things to do. Or even if you have places you would advise against. Would really appreciate any advice!

Sure was hard to give up this rare Halloween Saturday with the trick-or-treaters but I know it will be a Halloween to remember!
Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

·
Registered
269 Posts
How very exciting!!! I'm local and I can tell you.... There is NO driving in to salem the last 3-4 days leading up to halloween. The traffic backs up heading in to and around salem and trying to find a parking spot once in downtown is very difficult. I would HIGHLY reccommend booking a hotel room NOW in downtown so you can be there, enjoy the action, and not have to worry about the traffic/parking hassle.

With all that said, I would highly, highly reccommend looking in to the Hawthorne hotel and attending their HUGE annual halloween masquerade ball!!! This year, the ball is happening on oct 30. Here is a link to their website with more info... Looks like there are GA tix still available. :) http://www.hawthornehotel.com/Halloween

Otherwise, there is no shortage of fun restaurants, magick and souvenir shops, indoor haunt attractions, old cemetery action, ghost walking tours, historic places, museums, etc. you will have a blast. Our personal favorite breakfast is Red's, for dinner Victoria's, and after dinner check out the gift shop two doors down for a nice selection of halloween home goods and decor. Jerry's is a fun thrift store to pick through. The Salem Inn is probably closest in terms of walking distance to the action on/around Essex Street (after hawthorne if you cant get a room) but i cant really recommend lodging since we've never had to actually STAY in salem. I could go on.. Any other questions feel free to ask!

·
Registered
536 Posts
Congratulations Witchful, that is awesome. I would have loved to have had an October wedding, but my wife insisted on July. I haven't been to Salem in October, but I know there are a lot of cool events going on then. Here is a link to their travel site calendar of events that might be helpful for planning things to see. Have fun!

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Congratulations upon finding a mate who must also love "The Season', sounds like they must.
When I tried a Haunted B&B. here a great number of couples (I discovered ) were comprised of the old "Opposites-Attracting" thing, one of them would love it, the other was very fearful and these roles and feelings paid no attention to the Male-Female part of it.( "Guys" can be afraid too! And they were!)

The Haunts change like everything else, BUT I was told years ago .. there was one October Haunt in Salem, that only took 90 Seconds to go through, BUT,.. it was SO GOOD that many got back in line and did it again!
How about that!
It was John Denley and Mr. Floyd's "Work", unfortunately Mr. Floyd is no longer with us....He was So much FUN!
I met him at Transworld, he came to my house, once spent a few days here,filming, of course,my house, the town's grave yard.....

·
AKA - S.M. Barrett
1,084 Posts
I was lucky enough to spend Halloween 2010 in Salem.

A few days before the holiday, we took advantage of what Salem had to offer - The Peabody-Essex Museum, the House of the Seven Gables, The Friendship, which was docked near Pickering Wharf, the numerous witch shops and occult stores, Ye Olde Pepper Company Candy shop, and Burial Point on Charter St.

If you really want to look into the heart-breaking events of the Panic, get across the highway to the west
and go to Danvers, which was formerly Salem Township proper. There you need to visit Goody Nurses Homestead. You'll also see the brick gothic remnants of Danvers Asylum towering over the village, which has been mentioned and served as inspiration for Lovecraft and numerous other horror authors.

Halloween itself is a bit of a madhouse, but walking down Derby, Congress, anywhere around the Commons and down to the Wharf, it was like Diagon Alley from the Harry Potter novels. Some of the best people-watching you will ever experience. Feel free to dress in costume - everyone else does.

If you're a taphophile and really love cemeteries, Burial Point on Charter street isn't the only historic boneyard. There's the Broad St. Cemetery, which doesn't get as much traffic and is still amazing for puritan-era tombstones, and Howard street, which is not only old, but is the likely location where Giles Corey was pressed to death for refusing to testify against his neighbors.
I'd argue that the Howard St. cemetery is perhaps the birthplace of the 5th amendment.

Finally, if you want to visit the cemetery where Max lost his shoes in Hocus Pocus, a cemetery with colonial tombstones buried in bright autumn leaves with a view of the sea, and maybe a bunch of gabled ancient houses, get past the harbor and go out to Marblehead for an afternoon.

Oh, and have fun, drink local beers and take photos.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you all so much for your well wishes and for taking time to give your thoughts and advice!!

Halloweena your advice as a local is invaluable! I had suspected the driving must get a little nutty but its good to know just how bad. I checked out the sites for the hotels and restaurants you recommended. While I would love to stay overnight we have our lodging taken care of already -- the Hawthorne did have a sheet of excellent suggestions for avoiding some of the traffic though! And we will definitely be dining at Victoria's. Thank you!

Gym Whourfeld I wouldn't exactly say I found a mate who "loves the season" - he was a bit surprised by my passion for it in the beginning but was supportive and even can appreciate and encourage me in my Halloween overload each year as long as I don't make him participate too much. :) It was however his idea to make a trip over to Salem when he realized how close we would be so even if he doesn't love the season like we do he at least loves me which is all we can ask for right!?

Spats...really appreciate the great information on the sights to see and the cemetery's in particular. We will definitely we be visiting some.

Thanks again to everyone for their time!

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Watchful Thinking - Congratulations from another couple who loves the Season and got married in October.
And Halloweena and spats, thanks for the good recommendations. We've been to Salem in Early October (while on vacation celebrating our anniversary, actually) and did the downtown scene, but I am sure it's a madhouse (closer to the holiday itself.
Enjoy your honeymoon!

·
Registered
164 Posts
I clicked on this thread not realizing you started it! What a great honeymoon idea! We're thinking we'll travel for our 1 Year, but maybe I can convince him to postpone to be near Salem next year!

Congrats! Cannot wait for the big day, and am excited to hear all about your planning <3

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you - I am still giddy from you getting married!! I am so happy for you!!

I clicked on this thread not realizing you started it! What a great honeymoon idea! We're thinking we'll travel for our 1 Year, but maybe I can convince him to postpone to be near Salem next year!

Congrats! Cannot wait for the big day, and am excited to hear all about your planning <3

·
Registered
27 Posts
Congratulations!!! Wonderful time to get married and so awsome that you get to visit Salem. I was there years ago and while the whole place intrigued me, the place that stands out the most in my memory is the cemetery. It gave off a very solumn atmosphere. I would love to go back again. Congratulations again and Happy Honeymoon!!!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Such a great place for a honeymoon! I have a great love of Salem; I grew up in CT and spent many a day trip there as a kid. The last Halloween I got to be there was way back in 2000, though I always drag my hubby there whenever we travel up to visit my folks. So great to see how much the town is growing in popularity.

Congrats!

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Oh my goodness Halloweena what a thoughtful and generous offer!! Only if you are sure you don't mind! I will send you a PM.

Witchful Thinking, I was in downtown Salem today and grabbed some visitor info pamphlets and booklets, I would be happy to send them your way if you would like?

·
Registered
348 Posts
Congratulations. My wife & I spent our honeymoon there in 2007 (during the Halloween festivities) & went back last year. I think everyone has already pretty much covered it. The only thing I can add is last year we stayed at the Coach House Inn, It's a b & b a bit away from the "main drag", which has its positives & negatives. It's nice & quite, in a residential area, the lady who runs it is very nice, and it's very reasonably priced. The downside, I suppose is it's not in the middle of everything. That said, we walked into "town" every day, so it's not that far way.

Oh, also, we went to one of the big Halloween balls last year, and I don't think it was worth the price. Mediocre food/drinks & a horrible DJ.

If I think of more, I'll post it.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Witchful Thinking I tried to respond to your PM twice, but not sure if I did it right so sorry if this is redundant! It is my pleasure, I'll pop in the mail today, thank you for the kind words. :)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts