Halloween Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone.
I made 13 headstones, using 2”x2x4 pieces of styrofoam. I was told to use Henry’s feather Finish and then paint them with acrylic paint to finish them. They looked amazing...then the wind and rain came. Ugh! I watched My hours of mudding and painting start to crumble in a matter of minutes.
Does anyone know of something I can coat these with to protect my ghoulish treasures, or do I need to start over and use the textured spray paint.
Thank you in advance for any suggestions!

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum.

You could try using a a clear water based Spar Urethane (best for outdoors) or a clear Polyacrylic, or the clear Flex Seal spray paint.

I hope that one of these will work.

·
Registered
163 Posts
You made 13 in ONE year? Wow. I am impressed (4 is my record). I usually use latex paint (exterior) but when I have needed to use a color I did not have in latex I would use acrylic and spray with Krylon clear coat. Matte is best for keeping it looking like stone, satin gives you a glossier sheen to better mimic dripping blood.

Try spraying the heck out of one and letting it cure before letting it get rained on again. I think spray will give you the best look and will have enough protection.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
If you want to avoid having to re-do them for this year, use a clear coat to protect the paint from further water damage. If you want to re-do them, then use the dryloc or you could do what I did and mix either latex paint with sawdust, (add enough sawdust to the paint until you get a brownie batter consistency. Try and use fine sawdust like one would get after sanding) or make a mixture of latex paint, water and mortar mix. (do a 50/50 ratio of paint and water and add enough mortar mix to the liquid until the liquid is on the thinner side of pancake batter) Give the stones at least 2 coats of either mixture. Just note that the mortar mix mixture is a little harder to paint words onto as it will have the feel of cement after it cures and it cures rather quickly so you have to paint the mixture on fast.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts