Halloween Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 6 hanging baskets across my front porch, that in the summer, are filled with trailing petunias. Usually, I just take them down altogether, but I thought I might just fill them with something else for Halloween this year. I'm doing a gothic Poe raven theme this year, and searched Pinterest for ideas, but came up empty. All they have are fall foliage, not creepy Halloween. These are not wire baskets, they are solid. Does anybody have any ideas? It really needs to be something trailing because the baskets hang kind of high so you can't see the tops, only what trails from them.

HELP please. I need ideas.

·
Registered
20,825 Posts
How about that black branch/leaf garland sold all over the place, cut into sections as needed and placed to hang from the baskets? Michaels, CVS, and many other stores still carry it, I am pretty sure. Good luck, whatever you decide.

·
Registered
857 Posts
you can add to that the ravens that michaels sell attach them to the pots with thread , make them look like they are on the vines

·
Registered
262 Posts
I would buy some chain to lower all the baskets for the season. Then I would use any of the above ideas on filling them. Then I would suspend a skellie in shackles spread eagled between the two closest baskets to the door and have the ravens tormenting him by plucking at one of his eyes, etc.

·
Reaper Guardian
2,041 Posts
Really like the Spanish moss idea. You could use a black (dark purple) sweet potato vine, or even ivy. Maybe add some webs to it...

·
Registered
326 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
You could spray paint some fake ivy vines black and drape them over the sides? Could spray paint the fall foliage black also, then maybe go back over and add some silver spray paint highlights here and there?

·
Registered
1 Posts
How about the moss that accumulates on trees...spray paint it black put your ravens and it'll be creepy everywhere.
I live in Orlando and almost every oak tree has that stuff!

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Oh, neat! If your flowers/plants are still in decent condition, I'd leave them in there but I'd add to it. I'd buy some cheap leaf garland from Dollar Tree and paint it to look dead & decayed. I'd have some trailing over the edges of the baskets too. I like the suggestion of adding some spanish moss too. Then maybe I'd add some skeleton bones and some vultures, almost like a "nest". There are some neat ideas on how to turn those dollar store plastic flamingo's into vultures for Halloween over in the Crafts forum. If needed, I'd lower the baskets too, so people could see into the tops of them for the fall season.

You could make some into snake baskets too - get some fake eggs & paint them black & decayed and then gather some dollar store toy snakes all around, even coiling up the chains. Eek!

You could also turn one into a miniature cemetery by using some of the Dollar Tree mini skeletons (from the skelly garland they sell) and some of the tabletop tombstones. Or you could make it using the miniature cemetery items they sell too, on an even smaller scale.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
10 Participants
Jenn&MattFromPA
Halloween Forum
Halloween forum - Keeping the Halloween spirit alive 365 days a year. Discuss decorations, costumes and more!
Full Forum Listing