Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:) Hi everyone, my name is Sharon and I have just joined the forum as mad on Halloween.

I have always been really creative and love making costumes, props decorations etc. This years theme is pirates, so already made boat, cannons, skeleton pirates, and just on with a dead talking parrot!!!!

So wish I was in USA this time of year, as not much stuff available here other than general decorations.

Looking forward to talking to you and getting some more ideas to keep me busy!!!!!

Sharon

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Hi Sharonr3106 , sssooooo good to see another Brit on the forum , and just in time for Halloween , i make a fair few of my own props too , i look forward to a chat sometime , let me know if i can be of any help , roll on Halloween ......

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi

Thanks for the welcome! Looking forward to getting loads of ideas with props and stuff, some really talented people here:)

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi
Thanks for the welcome! Looking forward to getting loads of ideas with props and stuff to keep me busy, some really talented people here:)

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Not sure if you have a good pound shop near to you or 99p shop Sharonr3106 but ours were selling these bottles last year they are party poppers , i went into our town last weekend and they are still selling them , i did a pirate theme last year and used them for that , here,s a pic so you can see how cool they looked with a bit of spray paint and some natural garden twine , i hope you have them in a cheapo shop near to you , and hope this may help you with your pirate scene , i had one of my pirate skellies with three of these as if he was drunk or getting drunk . 0 (2).jpg 1.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi Pacman

Yes they do have them in the pound shop near us, it's a great idea and they look really authentic. Pound shops are great for stuff that you can adapt. I have just finished my pirate talking zombie parrot, I used feathers from a boa I got at pound store, don't claim it to be a master prop but has worked out ok as below in pics:
S6302409.jpg
S6302410.jpg

Managed to get its wings to flap, and beak opens and closes while it says pieces of eight and squawks, so not so bad for first attempt at a moving prop!

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
Glad you're here! It adds to the fun to get input from all over.
I can understand your frustration in not having a lot of Halloween decorations available for purchase where you live. That said, though, IMO the absolute best stuff is the creatively home-made ooak stuff!

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Yeah i,m with you on that ooojen , its just even the basic stuff you guys got like cheap timber and bucky skeletons you get fairly cheap for corpsing are not available over here let alone monster mud and boy we could use your HOME DEPOT our D.I.Y. shops are so expensive in comparison . But we try to adapt with what we got , and we have the best teachers ...... YOU GUYS , thank you .

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
THATS WELL COOL Sharonr3106 , nice job the kids will love that , whats the bet some will want to take it home with them ??? i have not messed about with mechanical stuff too much although i did an electric chair Micheal Myers last year that went down a bomb , but i am impressed with your parrot .... is it a Norwegian blue ?? lol , sorry cant help but think of the python sketch .... beautiful plumage ..... post some pics of any other stuff you have made please .

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
Hehee-- "Beautiful plumage" indeed! (Feet nailed to the perch?)
I didn't realize the DIY shops were more expensive there. I think of Lowes and Home Depot as being high priced! We have a chain centered here in the upper Midwest that's significantly cheaper (Menards). It does indeed help to have raw materials cheap and readily available.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
I only know there cheaper by watching tutorials etc on you-tube and when you guys start saying the prices of materials i am there with my universal currency converter thinking crap now i know why these guys dumped the tea in the harbor all those years ago , we really do get ripped off over here especially for timber , i just bought a Atmosfear ghostly apparitions dvd for this coming Halloween from the states and i got stung NEARLY £10 or about $15 import tax and duty , on a £15 item . The only saving grace for me is i am in construction so get off cuts and throw away timber etc free , and some pallets .

1 - 20 of 23 Posts