Halloween Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I run a music education site and I'm a total Halloween nut, so we've somehow ended up with a whole category devoted to spooky songs, scary composing techniques, and other haunted how-tos...

Halloween Ear Training

This year we just added an article by professional Halloween haunt composer Sam Haynes and a Halloween Music Quiz :)

If you play or write music (or just want to understand more about what makes songs sound scary) I hope you'll come check it out!

learn-halloween_o_256.png Happy Halloween!

·
Registered
356 Posts
Very cool website! I honed some of my improvisational skills the same way as the old silent film guys you mention, although I never consulted cue books even though I do read music. A local movie society used to host parties and have people like me come out and play music to a silent film I've never seen before. I used a basic classical guitar for these and would sit where I could see the screen and then I would just play what came to mind and fingers. It wasn't always great, but lots of fun. These people also manipulated film sometimes and did things like speed up a movie to ridiculous levels, one time they showed the entire "Planet of the Apes" movie in 9 minutes! I'll be browsing your website more in the coming weeks, too much to see at once.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Very cool website!
Thanks! Glad you enjoyed looking around :)

A local movie society used to host parties and have people like me come out and play music to a silent film I've never seen before.
That is awesome. I love that old tradition of having a live musician score the movie, there've been a few showings here in London recently where they've done that. I have some improvisation skills myself, but greatly admire anyone who can do it to such a degree!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts