Halloween Forum banner

Halloween gala event — need ideas!

536 Views 5 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  wychyways56
Greetings! Our organization hosts an annual Boo Ball to raise funds for city beautification. Our group gets to plan it this year. Woohoo!!! I am on the decorating committee. Need help with affordable ideas that don’t look cheap. Thought I would reach out to those who may have experience with this and who might graciously provide ideas, tips, etc.

Theme: Monster Mash
Seating: Round tables seating up to 10 for plated dinner
Other:
  • Adults only (300+)
  • DJ station (likely elevated)
  • Dancing
  • 2-3 Cash bar stations
  • Silent auction tables
  • Registration table
  • Information tables
  • Photo station
  • Costume contest platform/runway
FYI—the theme changes every year. We haven’t had a traditional Halloween theme for many years so nothing from previous years to pull from. Going back to basics. Event planning is under control. Just need ideas for decorating such a large space affordably.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
1,768 Posts
Doing our things I rely a LOT on the freebies on Craigslist, cheapy places like DT, and secondhand shops. Coupons for other places like Micheals and Joanns if I have to. Oh and LOTS of thinking outside the box...

When we did our Halloween potluck event indoors I made some "cheap" centerpieces. Went to the Dollar Tree (DT) and got their silver serving platters, glued Halloween print cardstock around cardboard tubes that I then hot glued to the platters, popped in a cheap battery tea candle. Some platters then got a DT Rat or a skelly hand or a skelly skull glued next to the fake candle. Added some spiders and black dyed rice for rat poop.
Event Linens Recreation Leisure Curtain

Another year took those same platters, using paper mache clay and a cheap brain jello mold I molded up enough brains for each centerpiece. Painted the brains gray with free Craigslist paint and glued them to platters with my fake candles. Buffet tables got DT mouse traps with a DT rat that I cut in half nose to tail, placed in the "snapped" trap and added some red hot glue "blood". We usually held our event where they have rectangle tables so DT tablecloths or when it was a space alien theme I got a bulk order of emergency blankets and used them on the tables and the windows, they kinda work like a two way mirror so other possibilities.This year they became the River Styx with twinkle lights under them.

For a pirate theme we made an arch with PVC pipe and decorated it with DT pool noodle corals just look up pool noodle coral for ideas, added a skelly mermaid, fish and some blueish sheer curtains for water and a selfie spot was made. A free twin futon base became a "rack" for our dead skelly pirate, some old PVC pipe become his manacles and pipe insulation the chains. Some old freebie blinds became a giblet cage for another dead skelly. For the carn-evil theme we took drop cloths from Harbor Freight and projecting images of freak show banners air brushed them onto the canvas... manged to get about 3 out of one Harbor Freight canvas. Used a cheap Harbor Freight air brush and LOTS of watered down free paint from
Craigslist
Art Paint Painting Poster Font

Made some very nice light columns on the cheap using 2 large gold hoops, some cheap sheer yardage and a sting of LEDs. attached the yardage with hot glue to the edge on the hoop, to make a column attached the other end of the yardage to the other hoop then feed the string of lights into the middle of the tube using a little wire I was able to hang the tube of light from the ceiling.

· Registered
24 Posts
Greetings! Our organization hosts an annual Boo Ball to raise funds for city beautification. Our group gets to plan it this year. Woohoo!!! I am on the decorating committee. Need help with affordable ideas that don’t look cheap. Thought I would reach out to those who may have experience with this and who might graciously provide ideas, tips, etc. Theme: Monster Mash Location: Large hotel ballroom Seating: Round tables seating up to 10 for plated dinner Other:
  • Adults only (300+)
  • DJ station (likely elevated)
  • Dancing
  • 2-3 Cash bar stations
  • Silent auction tables
  • Registration table
  • Information tables
  • Photo station
  • Costume contest platform/runway
FYI—the theme changes every year. We haven’t had a traditional Halloween theme for many years so nothing from previous years to pull from. Going back to basics. Event planning is under control. Just need ideas for decorating such a large space affordably.
For room of this size you're best bet is to decorate the tables that are assigned stations. Lighting is a must! Huge spots/gobos will cover a great amount of space. So many great lighting ideas out there...just go online for tips.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts