Halloween Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone post flyers around the neiborhood advertising their haunt. If so just looking for some ideas for this years haunt, and what verbage you may use. Also does anyone do a kiddie haunt, we are thinking of doing one this year, taking advantage of the light hours of 5:30-7:00 really hard to scare ppl when it is still light, so we are going to make that for the really scared ppl.

·
Registered
212 Posts
This year our TOT will actually fall on halloween and i'm thinking about making flyers too, advertising that we'll be open after official TOT when it's dark out. I would say google image search vampire, frankenstein, witch, etc and see what pictures come up. Use big bold print over top of the picture advertising the name of your haunt, address, and time, and of course a threatening message (survive and you might just get candy!) to stir up kids emotions. I would put them on phone poles right by stop signs on the street and streets surrounding yours. I wouldn't put them up more than a week before in case the city wants you to take them down.

I have a similar problem as you with our TOT. Between moving daylight savings time to November and our city having TOT between 5-7 i don't get even an ounce of darkness. That coupled with (usually) crappy weather in late october and i have seen our number of TOT dwindle to about 100, sometimes less. A lot of people on our street don't even pass out candy, so parents drive the kids from house to house! It's really got me bummed on the whole halloween thing because i do a lot of setup for what ends up being a bust. But, i still do it because i think of it as fun for the kids who do come. People STILL ask my friend's mom about the haunted house we did at their place, and that was 15 years ago. Kids who got the pants scared off them are now bringing their kids to TOT there.

·
Hauntingly Addicting
6,068 Posts
I love this idea. My house is hard to find and its usually word of mouth that people come to us. Last year we had to run the haunted house really late because people kept coming and then leaving and telling others and then they would come and it was never ending. I want to just run the haunted house from a certain time and end at a certain time. This would be a great way to advertise that. Thanks for the post and sharing your ideas.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I will place my sign in the front haunted yard..it's a main road. This year its my first time open for public ...I'm sooo scared.

·
Insert Witty Comment Here
4,484 Posts
Some guys that used to live in my neighborhood ran their haunted house on the Fri/Sat before Halloween a couple years ago...they did it as a food drive and wanted a can of food for admission. They put out flyers at the schools and church..they had a good turnout for the food donations, and the people that went spread word of their haunted house during the week leading up to Halloween, which resulted in more ToTs

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I got some Halloween flyer paper at Party city last year,they had 2 different kinds and I printed off about 50 of them and stuck them in newspaper boxes. We advertise as family friendly and keep everything around a PG (out front) to PG-13 (for the backyard trail). This year we are expanding the trail to make it much longer. Our challenge will be having to redirect traffic here because of our main rd. in is close till Dec. and the detour rds. are routed poorly. Oh well we'll still try, yeah we are doing extended hrs. too with it being on a Sat.,....maybe do 5-11 (normal hrs. are 6-8 for TOT's). Of course there will be more partys to complete with this year but last year we had close to 300 which was good for an out in the county and small subdivision.P.S.,...Oh you can be pretty scary in the daylight as we found out last year on our trail, we had lots of fog and my actors hid well in camo blinds in the brush and we were scarying them just as good with the first hr. all light.......no kidding the screams were loud to our surprise ! See my profile album for proof.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I was also thinking about a lit up "haunted house open" sign for my after hours haunted house this year, placed in the treelawn for any stragglers who might still be out.
Hi Folks, three years ago I build a big electric Pumpkin Beacon like the shown listed at this site. Mine is about 15' high and strapped along the edge of my work shed's roof line. I never photo'd it, but I turn it on and off when we accept party goers and TOTs.

:)

·
Mill Creek Haunted Hollow
6,359 Posts
I've seen how-to's on the "Great Pumpkin Beacon" and it's a keen idea, if people can see your house. I live at the base of a hill, nestled in a cul-de-sac. I could build a beacon, but I already have a 20 ft tower that people can't see until they are standing at the end of my driveway.

I put out flyers to get more foot traffic from my own neighborhood and from other neighborhoods in the area. A few flyers in local store windows can help.

·
Mill Creek Haunted Hollow
6,359 Posts
That's a good suggestion.

Your flyer is an advertisement. It should mention all the "selling points" of your haunt. Fright factor, entertainment value, location, hours of operation, etc.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I might have to make some up myself, although I have no problems bringing in the crowds. More of a posterity thing, maybe some to hang at the Haunted House downtown.

·
Lord of the Cemetery
2,081 Posts
This is what we've put together this year. It's a "bare bones" work at the moment, with a few more details being added as times etc are finalised.

·
Lord of the Cemetery
2,081 Posts
Baron Samed I love your fllyer.
Thanks, Liu.
I wanted to post a bigger one, like TK421's, so some of the detail could be seen..but it won't seem to let me.:( (the actual flyer is about A4 size).
Since we are the only haunt in the area, we don't really need to advertise too much, but we like to have a "title" if not a theme for the haunt every year, and posting a few flyers around in early october gets the kiddies excited and talking.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts