Halloween Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone here ever advertised their haunt at local schools? I talked to my daughter's school and they said that if I get it approved through the school district they'll distribute it. What should I put, or NOT put on the flyer? I was thinking something simple, not too "scary", and obviously mentioning that it is a charity haunt to collect food for our food bank. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Hmm... what ages are the kids in your daughter's school? Is that your target audience? If you can get it approved by the school board, I'd put something on the flyer about how "Canned goods will be accepted at XYZ address from x to y dates" - that way, you might get more donations. Maybe you could put a box on your porch or near your driveway for collecting.

Maybe you could consider giving extra candy as an incentive for bringing canned goods? Or if you were interested, you could advertise that kids who bring canned goods can pick a prize out of your prize bucket or something. You can get some fun Halloween toys from Oriental Trading inexpensively. Anyway, it's not something you have to do - just thinking about what kids might get excited about. If you have a cool automated prop, maybe you can let each kid who brings a donation push the button or something - you know, something everyone else could get a little excited about & want to do too, so that you can increase donations.

Also, be sure to post a sign in your yard a week or so before Halloween that says you are collecting food/canned goods for XYZ Food Bank. That way people will drive past & will hopefully see it before Halloween. I have to say that I'd rather drop something off early rather than carrying around food to donate on Halloween night, so thinking along those lines, consider making your donation dates a little longer.

I'd probably want to put a big title on it like "Not-So-Scary Haunted House to Benefit XYZ Food Bank", maybe with a haunted house clip art or border, a clear box with the address and maybe a small map with a few key landmarks identified so people can get an idea of where you are and maybe decide to walk/drive in that direction when they are TOT'ing.

Good luck! Hope you get a lot of donations! Going into the holidays is always such a needy season for Food Banks! What a great idea!
:D

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I love to help our food bank because I get a lot of help from them myself. As for incentives, I am pretty much tapped on funds, though it is a great idea.
I love the flyer ideas. I am actually going to have the haunt open on the 30th with a "no-scare or low scare" so I can get more little ones to see that we are not as bad as they think. I mean some people won't even come inside the haunt in the middle of the day when it's just plain walls for crying out loud :(

·
Insert Witty Comment Here
4,484 Posts
Is it a food drive at a haunt or a haunt with a food drive.

Are you charging a can of food for admission or are you saying come to the haunt, and if you have some can goods you can drop in the donation box, that would be great?

·
Registered
189 Posts
The high schools in our area advertise at the elementary schools for the haunts they put on. I don't think I've ever seen anyone else advertise through the school. One suggestion if you do advertise is to be very clear about the donation, either 2 cans of food for admission or you are welcome to donate canned goods at our haunt. That way you can avoid confusion since people tend to interpret information differently. Good luck, I hope it works out for you!

BTW I just thought of something if the school district doesn't approve your flyer you could always pass out flyers off the school campus. There was a church group that wasn't allowed to put their flyers in the school so they just passed out the flyers to parents after school out on the sidewalks.

·
Registered
872 Posts
I always put up posters NEAR schools and community centres. Too much red tape to deal with putting it inside. Really - aren't we getting a little too uptight in the schools? Sheesh!

That said, I agree with the poster who advised highlighting educational merit. My haunts always have an historical component. I find the kids enjoy hearing the stories and the adults appreciate the education.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts