Halloween Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like to add something fun in my treat bags. That was the best part of dumping out my candy bag, as a kid, at the end of the night. Any cool ideas for favors this year?

Just ordered these from Oriental Trading...

Target & Party City usually have some fun stuff too.

A jewel and bat eraser goes in every treat bag. The eyeballs go my favorite neighbors. The fans are for the older girls. The older guys just get candy.

·
Registered
391 Posts
The only things I can remember that stood out in my pumpkin pail when I was a kid (centuries ago) besides candy were those sticky hands, you know when you grab the bottom/wrist area and fling it on a wall? As well as rubber ball eyeballs that I could bounce around the house, like the size of a gumball or slightly bigger.

Idk about today's kids. Probably have to throw an iPad in there or something...

Oh! Also vampire teeth/fangs.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Parent of a 6 yr old here, I'd agree the sticky hands are great, they also come in bug and reptile styles she also gets a kick out of the stretchy sling shot chickens but they can come in all sorts of styles.
i dont recall getting much in the way of non edible things when i was a kid but those juice barrels came in handy.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Most kids in our area want candy, but I have a couple treat bowls filled with things like pencils, Halloween stickers & tattoos, bubbles, erasers, and spider and bat rings. For kids who are allergic or want something different. And my kids are in elementary school so if they get to do something at Halloween (barring pandemic issues), I'll send in something cool for a non-candy option too. I think those kinds of items in your Halloween bag are fun & definitely can be memorable when you get older & remember them!

Also - yeah, great idea on small juice boxes, "hugs" or water for TOTers!

·
Registered
51 Posts
We always like to go through the Oriental Trading catalog for small tricks to go with the treats, usually something we can get by the gross or multiple dozens. We get a fair amount of kids, up to 150 or so, which means it needs to be affordable, so plastic jumping spiders, vampire fangs, glow-in-the dark fingers, etc. We also get the glow stick bracelets, great for making the kids visible while they make the rounds. I usually try to get some of the soft squishy foam jack o' lantern stress balls and in the past they had great whistles/whizzers that looked like vampire lips, similar to the picture below.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Last year target had really cute mini notebooks that I paired with some cute erasers and pens. Slime or silly putty type stuff is always fun. Plastic spider rings. Finger puppets. Tiny rubber duckies. Temporary Tattoos (although the year I bought these they were so popular with my (adult) friends and coworkers that I ran out before I made it to the kids!

·
Registered
79 Posts
We set out a teal pumpkin every year that says we're a house that can offer treats for kids with food allergies. Generally we leave the items out for the kids to look at and choose what they want. We do the same with the candy. We have "mostly chocolate" candy bags, and "no chocolate" candy bags for kids with dairy issues. We don't even go anywhere near peanut stuff. :) Tiny stuffed animals from the Dollar Tree are popular. There was a squishy group of animals that lit up when you shook them that were equally popular. If you have kids of your own, or grand-kids, you might take them to a Dollar Tree and have them shop for you. Or ask a roaming Mom with kids in the store if you can employ them just long enough to choose some gift ideas. That's what we did because we don't have kids. We gave the kids each their favorite toy as a gift by handing the Mom the toys and a couple of dollars. She thought it was fun, the kids had a blast, and we had toys that kids actually liked.

Now, as for putting a toy into a regular gift bag filled with candy, just remember that the item should be easily identified as a toy, not candy. They sell candy jewels, and sadly not all kids are bright enough to know the difference before shoving a plastic jewel into their mouth. You have to play to the lowest common denominator when giving out treats. We tell the kids exactly what kind of toy is inside their bag when we hand them out. "Hey, there's a glow in the dark lizard inside your bag. Don't go eating that, okay?" We make sure they understand before we hand that bag over. We might seem overprotective to some, but we want the kids to have a good time, and it doesn't take that much more time or effort to try to size up the kids to the right kinds of treats.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Slime! Parents HATE it Kids LOVE it. LOL.
Personally, i don't think you need to announce what is and isn't candy in the treat bag, no disrespect to those who do, but its a parents responsibility to go through the collection at the end of the night or next morning and weed out anything not appropriate or suspect.
You could label a container "Toys" and one container "Candy" if you feel you need to. Most kids just want to grab and go anyway unless you got a cool yard display they just NEED to look at.

·
Registered
54 Posts
My ToTs last year LOVED getting mini play packs with their candy and other Halloween goodies. The play packs were new last year and they were a huge hit. Found it to be a lot easier than buying mini coloring books, stickers AND crayons. All just comes in one. Last year target and walmart both carried Halloween themed ones. Can find some cool ones on Oriental Trading as well!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts