Halloween Forum banner

Halloween... Fall...... the things I look forward to..

4395 Views 73 Replies 39 Participants Last post by  Laredo
I thought I'd take a second to write out a few things that I'm looking forward to in a place where most if not all others will appreciate them, and not just think I'm a bit nutso...

The crisp scent of a cool breeze in the air
The giddiness of seeing the trees change color
The joys of walking down aisle after aisle of fall and halloween decor.
The smell of leaves burning.
The bright smile on my children's faces as we chose costumes
For that matter the bright smile on my face chosing costumes
The twinkle and glow of my halloween tree all decorated in the living room at night
The glow of orange lights and smell of the fog machine in my yard.
campfires and hayrides, haunted houses, parties, masks and treats
everyone enjoying themselves and having fun it doesn't get much better than that.

So what are the rest of you looking forward to hearing or seeing or smelling this fall?
61 - 74 of 74 Posts

· The Goddess of Screams
519 Posts
My favorite, is the FAIR. I always hear how the state fair is a summer thing for other people, but here in my town in Arkansas, it's held every year the last week in September.

So, for every one around here, the fair is like the official kick off to fall!! I associate all things fall with the fair - the rides in the crisp air, going up high, and looking over tree tops that are starting to turn colors, caramel apples, funnel cakes and farm animals! LOL

Plus, high school football is in full swing, and we used to always go to the fair, after the Friday night game. If you had a date for it, man, life was just perfect then!

My hubby hates the fair - he gets motion sickness so he can't ride, and he hates crowds - plus our fair grounds are on a not-so-good side of town - but I insist we go every year and take the boys. It is one of my favorite memories and traditions and I want the boys to experience it too. :D In fact, my best friend lives in Phoenix now - it's so major to us, she plans her vacation around fair time, and flys home to attend with me some years!! LOL

· Registered
670 Posts
My favorite, is the FAIR. I always hear how the state fair is a summer thing for other people, but here in my town in Arkansas, it's held every year the last week in September.

So, for every one around here, the fair is like the official kick off to fall!! I associate all things fall with the fair - the rides in the crisp air, going up high, and looking over tree tops that are starting to turn colors, caramel apples, funnel cakes and farm animals! LOL

Plus, high school football is in full swing, and we used to always go to the fair, after the Friday night game. If you had a date for it, man, life was just perfect then!

My hubby hates the fair - he gets motion sickness so he can't ride, and he hates crowds - plus our fair grounds are on a not-so-good side of town - but I insist we go every year and take the boys. It is one of my favorite memories and traditions and I want the boys to experience it too. :D In fact, my best friend lives in Phoenix now - it's so major to us, she plans her vacation around fair time, and flys home to attend with me some years!! LOL
Wow- what you described sounds a lot how life was for me in Dallas Tx. The state fair held in Dallas, the football..... really brings back memories for me!!

· jester girl
18,198 Posts
football season here as well. evenings are getting chilly.
love reading everyones takes on things. meeps, fun hearing what it's like so far away. makes it seem almost like it's closer than you are.

· Registered
Artisan, cute
176 Posts
Yeah Vancouver! Hockey! (But I'm a Leafs fan :p) It's all good, we share the same passion!

Here's mine:

- NHL hockey starts
- My husband's pick-up hockey league starting and going to the arena all bundled up with a thermos of hot coffee and watching him have fun
- Taking baths, which I do not do in the summer, it's too hot! Nothing like a nice warm bath on a cool Fall night, then jammies and a housecoat, with a cup of spice tea
- The weather and seeing people in turtle necks and jackets
- Thanksgiving!
- Baking pumpkin cookies (Great recipe here: Iced Pumpkin Cookies - All Recipes)
- Getting decorations out and doing the house up
- Buying mums and putting them on the porch
- My birthday
- The Fall Fair
- Hearing radio advertisements for party stores
- Buying apple cider and heating it up in the microwave

And it all starts so soon!

· Registered
38 Posts
I have enjoyed reading these posts from everyone so much! I love this thread! It's nice to hear about your experiences, and childhood memories... I'm glad I'm not the only one who loves the fall season and all of the sights and smells it brings!

· Reaper
3,615 Posts
Wow. So many wonderful images are brought to mind by everyone! You guys could all be writers!
I look forward to finally getting to cut the pumpkins off their vines after watching them grow since May or June. Walking back in the woods behind our house where the leaves change colors. Driving on backroads looking at leaves and decorations. Apple cider. Going to the pumpkin patch for hayrides and other mischief. Breaking sweaters out of an old box. Campfires where you finally want to be close to the fire instead of standing 10' away. Cooking over the fire. 70 degree F days and 40 degree nights. Dark clouds. Sitting on the porch and not being bombarded with insects. Smoke. Pumpkin pie and pumpkin cookies and pumpkin candles. Mulled cider candles and tarts. Bright orange boxes of candy on store shelves. Finally getting to decorate the house for Halloween. Spooky stories on cds, even though I confess I listen to them year round. Sunset coming earlier and earlier. Haunted houses being advertised. Orange flickering lights. Halloween themed movies on the tv. Buying school supplies, or at least seeing them in the store.

MsMeeple- beautiful plant!
There's a few drive ins nearby, i love going to them and sitting in the back of a truck with blankets and popcorn. I wish I could find one that played old movies though...

· Registered
116 Posts
That mostly healthy panic has set in. The Halloween decorations in stores are almost starting to overwhelm my ability to keep up. I'm looking at my calendar and seeing the fun stuff stack up to the end of the year and already there are few holes in the schedule between holidays, haunts, gatherings, and football. Autumn is rolling in like a massive steam locomotive and I'm standing in awe and a little panic in front of it. College football starts for me on Saturday at the pub that some of my relatives converted half of their garage into and where we watch football games and have festive get-togethers. Three days in a row of temps not reaching into the 80s.

The rest of the year is a fluffy and silly time valuable mainly in preparing for Autumn. The only negative about Fall is the worry that I'm not enjoying it to the fullest. I usually do not fall prey to this, as the sense of regret at having done so in the past has fuelled me to make sure that I do all I can to enjoy my favorite season.

Back to that calendar, with a shoehorn and a pencil.

· Devil In Disguise
664 Posts
This is a great thread.

Love SEC football (go Vols!!)
NFL
Endless halloween shopping
Driving around with my girlfriend listening to halloween themed music drinking pumpkin spice lattes from starbucks
Going apple picking
Carving pumpkins
this year I'm doing something a little different me the little lady and a few friends are going on a haunted new england area road trip the week before halloween. this should be pretty exciting.
Every night in october I watch either a horror movie or a halloween special something I do all year round but I amp it up for the season.

· sasquatch
3,099 Posts
I so love Autume. It is my favorite season. The color of the leaves. The bite in the crisp air. A warm fire, a book and my pipe calling to me. Pumpkins, Hallowwen decorations, candy, harvest, hunting, a gothic ombiance to life in general. I love those fall days warm and the nights cool. It is the best time of year. I long for it and I can feel it is aproaching quickly. Ghosts, spiders, and goblins and longing to excape their boxes and breath in the fall air. Children anticipate that night of all nights when mystery and maheim reign. The haunter egarly rush to finish props and the season culminating in that nights of all nights, the fall festival we call Halloween. I anticipate it, long for it, can almost smell and taist its aproach!!!!

· Registered
116 Posts
Autumn is coming in just over an hour. It's been cool and cloudy and rainy here which is atypical for Oklahoma this time of year. Things mentioned in this thread's early posts are arriving now. Happy Autumn!

· Registered
137 Posts
I love fall and everything about it! I think my favorite things are:

Baking!!
Making things with pumpkin in it
the smell of burning leaves
watching the leaves change
the weather getting chilly but not *too* cold
cloudy days
corn mazes
and of course anything that involves Halloween!

61 - 74 of 74 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.