Halloween Forum banner
21 - 40 of 74 Posts

· Registered
332 Posts
I love:

The smell of pumpkins when you're carving them.

Picking out the pumpkins.

Watching Halloween and horror related movies.

Lighting candles in the house every night.

The smell of my fireplace provided it's cool enough.

Getting the outside of my house ready for halloween night and dressing up and passing out candy.

· Registered
116 Posts
Thanks, Dipped. These posts are all great. Gothikren and Exported, I love the heating and A/C related items you mentioned. That burning dust smell, and the way my parents' old furnace used to wind up. It would make these building groans like a waking beast, while blowing cool air. After a few moments of this, the warmer air would start flowing and the sound would even out. I remember as a kid getting up and sitting in front of the heater grille with a cup of coffee and watching tv on weekend mornings. That's more of a winter thing for me, but late fall saw those mornings as well.

I forgot about the lack of heating or A/C when the temperature is perfect in the Autumn. That's another indication that Fall is the natural state of things: with the windows open, instead of the sound of hot or cold air being blown through the house, you simply hear...the world, life, whatever is around you.

Those hot, hearty, and heavy meals that you wouldn't attempt in the summer, for fear of adding heat, in wholesale quantities, to a house already smothering. In the Fall, they welcome you home from school, filling the cooler and quieter house with the aromas of colorful casseroles and rich stews.

Of course, the pigskin. Those football jack-o-lanterns were a brilliant way to celebrate the place football holds in the arrival of Fall. Friday night-Monday night, if I'm not careful, I could watch it all, but my heart's really in the games on Saturday. Before I was old enough to know much about solar angles and seasonal variations, I realized that when we went outside to toss the football around in the yard as kids, you could always lose the ball in the southern sky, because of the sun's lower position in the sky. The types of shadows we get in the Fall, their length and orientation, give the season away as well.

Anything outside. Walks in the woods, rainy fall nights, standing in an icy trout stream surrounded by color, sometimes even by trout.

I just went over to the EasterForum website's thread on spring and said all the same stuff in reverse.

· Registered
16 Posts
just moved to Florida for school =( not going to see or smell Fall here.
these post really made me miss home in Maryland, where fall is beautiful and our house always smells like pumpkin spice and the fireplace burning on a chilly October night.

and my moms Halloween Dept56 village, my favorite Halloween decoration.

· Registered
293 Posts
Wow, reading all of these posts are really getting me antsy for fall. I look forward to all of these things, orange and red leaves in the trees and on the ground (I will go slightly out of my way to step on a particularly crunchy looking leaf), pumpkins for sale, halloween decorations, and especially the classic children's halloween shows like The Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown and Ichabod Crane. This is my first year out of college, and I have always loved school and since school starts in the fall, that's usually something I have to look forward to. But I don't get that this year. Sad face.

My boyfriend has been in basic training and ait since April, and he's coming home in September. I don't think I have wanted fall to come more quickly in my life.

· Registered
245 Posts
I absolutely love to watch my "Roseanne: Halloween Edition" dvd over and over during October. Growing up, I just loved to watch those shows & I thought that they had the best Halloween episodes.

· Registered
210 Posts
Buzzard, I am so there with you on the Roseanne Halloween dvd! Those really are the best Halloween episodes of any sitcom ever! :)

Some other Fall favorites...

PUMPKIN PIE!
smell of cinnamon and cloves
the feel of squishy pumpkin guts while getting ready to carve
Grilled cheese and tomato soup
Scary movies on TV
No longer needing to use the AC
Sunday morning and Monday night football games
putting up all the Halloween decorations
Cider in a good mug
A sweater on my back, a purring kitty on my lap, and a cozy blanket

· Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
MorbidMariah I agree I love pumpkin pie oh and pumpkin nut bread I refuse to make them from scratch any other time of the year to me they just say fall. I love being able to wear long sleeves (without people thinking I'm nuts since most of my wardrobe is long sleeved). My mom always made us tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwiches for lunch during the fall and winter especially when we were sick. I had completely forgotten about those........ ahh good thoughts :)

· livin Halloween every day
1,990 Posts
The beauty of Fall, there is just so much to love about it.

The cool crisp air on you skin, the leaves changing color, so beautiful. Going for walks at night and seeing the halloween decorations on the windows. Putting up all my old beistle decorations and decorating the house. Decorating for my annual halloween party and putting up my huge halloween village. Going to the cider mill and pumpkin patch and getting the seasons first glass of apple cider and a carmel apple. Going to halloween USA and Spirits and looking at all the new decorations and props. Watching the old original scooby-doo cartoons in the morning, and all the classic halloween movies at night. Watching the Roseanne and Home Improvement halloween episodes. Getting the new Fear Finder and planning out my haunted house stops. Setting on my porch with my family while all my halloween decorations are alight and reading spooky stories to my boys while the cold night air is chilling us all. Going to our annual halloween camping weekend and setting around the campfire relating ghost stories and memories of halloweens past. Picking out my many pumpkins for the year and planning out what i will put on each....then finally carving them and lighting them up in my pitch black basement to get my pictures of all my hard work. Baking our halloween cookies and my wife making homemade hot chocolate while i ready the nights scary movie to watch. My little boy covering me with my halloween blanket as he always does while watching my ghost shows on t.v. Printing out my years new zombie pumpkin patterns and buying the new pumpkin masters pattern book as soon as i see it in the store.

· Devilishly Dutch
5,915 Posts
the changing of the leaves that's one of the best parts but you must be really close to that now MsMeeple. We all get to envy you :p I can remember taking my daughter to got TOT here in the snow one year. It was quite a bit of fun actually :)
I found a substitute for the changing leaves. Check this out. Its a lantern plant and the lanterns hanging from it turn from green to yellow and orange and red :) I bought a few limbs of the plant at the garden store to put in the livingroom in front of the window!

· Registered
177 Posts
MsMeeple, how beautiful!

I really don't have a list of my own to add, everyone has said it all for me. The smell of the furnace, the first time it comes on for the season, I don't remember who said that, but you almost made me cry. i love that smell. It always gives me a tickle of anticipation in the pit of my stomach, like something is coming, just around the corner. There is a wonderful, heightened sense of feeling alive when summer gives way to autumn. That is my season of rebirth. Well, that sounds cheesy, but it's true!

· Devilishly Dutch
5,915 Posts
MsMeeple, how beautiful!

I really don't have a list of my own to add, everyone has said it all for me. The smell of the furnace, the first time it comes on for the season, I don't remember who said that, but you almost made me cry. i love that smell. It always gives me a tickle of anticipation in the pit of my stomach, like something is coming, just around the corner. There is a wonderful, heightened sense of feeling alive when summer gives way to autumn. That is my season of rebirth. Well, that sounds cheesy, but it's true!
haha the smell of the furnance kicking on always gave me a tickle in my nose and made me sneeze reminding me that I needed to change the filter :D

· Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
I just realized one of the big things that reminds me of Halloween is the plastic smell you get from costume aisles at the stores everytime I smell that strong plastic smell I get nostalgic for my childhood halloween memories.

· Registered
5 Posts
I love a cloudy crisp autumn day. I've always thought grey clouds were gorgeous and they are particularly pretty when you add in the brightly colored trees. When I think of autumn, I think of leaving the windows open, lighting a pumpkin spice candle, reading a good book and hearing a football game in the background. I love it. Whenever my husband plays his NFL Madden video game, I get an autumn flashback b/c it sounds like a real football game.

I spend a lot more time outside in the fall than I do any other season. I look forward to spending more time outdoors.

21 - 40 of 74 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.