Halloween Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Devilishly Dutch
5,915 Posts
Hmmmm the dutch autumns are cold, rainy and windy. Our summers are more like fall in the US.
Warm days that cool off quickly once the sun starts going down. Definitely a chill if you sit in the shadow so everyone seeks the sunny spots at the abundant outdoor cafés.
An outdoor firepit and sitting out till late in the evening with sweaters on.
Maybe 3 times a year that it gets hot enough to turn the AC on.
Dang! I'm experiencing fall right now! Only without the falling leaves...they are all still green :(

MsM

· Devilishly Dutch
5,915 Posts
the changing of the leaves that's one of the best parts but you must be really close to that now MsMeeple. We all get to envy you :p I can remember taking my daughter to got TOT here in the snow one year. It was quite a bit of fun actually :)
I found a substitute for the changing leaves. Check this out. Its a lantern plant and the lanterns hanging from it turn from green to yellow and orange and red :) I bought a few limbs of the plant at the garden store to put in the livingroom in front of the window!

· Devilishly Dutch
5,915 Posts
MsMeeple, how beautiful!

I really don't have a list of my own to add, everyone has said it all for me. The smell of the furnace, the first time it comes on for the season, I don't remember who said that, but you almost made me cry. i love that smell. It always gives me a tickle of anticipation in the pit of my stomach, like something is coming, just around the corner. There is a wonderful, heightened sense of feeling alive when summer gives way to autumn. That is my season of rebirth. Well, that sounds cheesy, but it's true!
haha the smell of the furnance kicking on always gave me a tickle in my nose and made me sneeze reminding me that I needed to change the filter :D

· Devilishly Dutch
5,915 Posts
Yesterday while out and about, I couldn't help thinking that summer is DEFINITELY over here in the Netherlands.
EVERYONE is back from vacation filling the streets and stores! Including the construction workers who start at the crack of dawn when I have a late shift and need to sleep in!
Empty shelves in the stores, obnoxious bicyclists in the streets, rain and more rain, and a swarm of new university students invading the city! Although the new students can be kind of fun. I heard one asking, 'how do they get the trees to grow that way' lol

Ok, so those of the less positive points of this time of year. Will adjust to it again while waiting for the changing colors and eating chili :)

MsM

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.