Halloween Forum banner

41 - 60 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Hi all, happy to see 2020 candle discussion going. I missed out on Witches Brew tarts, they are currently sold out, same with candy corn. Pumpkin patch has my interest, I can do without TOT and Haunted Hayride. This year I am determined to get Kringle and Witch City Wicks !!!
I was fortunate to acquire a few of the Halloween offerings from both Witch City Wicks and Kringle last year. I ordered Witches Cauldron and Haunted House from Kringle, but, unfortunately, the Haunted House arrived broken due to poor packaging. :( Since it was limited edition they were unable to replace it. I was able to salvage the candle which smells like clove. Still looking for another vessel to burn it in. If I order from them again this year I hope they do better with the packaging of such fragile items. Pumpkin Patch has my interest as well. :)

·
Registered
382 Posts
FYI for those who use Yankee Candle’s Illuma-Lids. It has been my experience that candles have little to no throw when I use an Illuma-Lid. I noticed that I couldn’t smell candle fragrances when they were lit. Removing the Illuma-Lid solved the problem. Perhaps others have a difference experience but if you notice that your candles have no throw try removing the Illuma-Lid.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
FYI for those who use Yankee Candle’s Illuma-Lids. It has been my experience that candles have little to no throw when I use an Illuma-Lid. I noticed that I couldn’t smell candle fragrances when they were lit. Removing the Illuma-Lid solved the problem. Perhaps others have a difference experience but if you notice that your candles have no throw try removing the Illuma-Lid.
I will try burning my candles without an Illuma-Lid on them. Perhaps that is why when burning some Yankee candles I get little to no scent. Thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Interesting. I didn't notice this because I just starting using the Illuma Lids last fall. I will have to pay more attention this year.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Interesting. I didn't notice this because I just starting using the Illuma Lids last fall. I will have to pay more attention this year.
i actually figured it out when I put the Illuma-Lid on an Old Soul candle (they fit perfectly by the way). With the Illuma-Lid on the candle, a candle which usually fills the room with scent, it had no throw. So I tried it without the Illuma-Lid and realized the issue wasn’t with the candle. I then tried burning a Yankee candle that I had complained about not having a throw. Burning it without the Illuma-Lid made a huge difference.

@ScareyCarrie

The temp has been in the high eighties here and I just received a candle order today. They arrived fine with no melting.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
I only use the lid to get the candle to pool faster, especially on jars with shoulders - unless - I light a candle in a room that has a ceiling fan or in the winter since we don't have heat.

In design, the lid should only be used for quicker pooling then removed. Burning the candle for more than a couple of hours with the lid creates a thick pool that often pulls all of the oils out of that melting making it seem like the candle has lost its throw or scent altogether.

@ScareyCarrie
Last year I purchased cases of candles during the heatwave and only had 2 candles with a little softening that caused some of the oils to get caught in the seal of the lids. I wouldn't purchase tapers in the summer - ordered some last month and they arrived tacky.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I only use the lid to get the candle to pool faster, especially on jars with shoulders - unless - I light a candle in a room that has a ceiling fan or in the winter since we don't have heat.

In design, the lid should only be used for quicker pooling then removed. Burning the candle for more than a couple of hours with the lid creates a thick pool that often pulls all of the oils out of that melting making it seem like the candle has lost its throw or scent altogether.

@ScareyCarrie
Last year I purchased cases of candles during the heatwave and only had 2 candles with a little softening that caused some of the oils to get caught in the seal of the lids. I wouldn't purchase tapers in the summer - ordered some last month and they arrived tacky.
Thank you for sharing this information, it’s good to know. I had no clue. I’m not sure I want, or can remember, to remove a hot Illuma-Lid from a burning candle. I do know that I enjoy the scent more on a candle without one. For me, a big part of the appeal of a lit candle is the scent throw.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
i actually figured it out when I put the Illuma-Lid on an Old Soul candle (they fit perfectly by the way). With the Illuma-Lid on the candle, a candle which usually fills the room with scent, it had no throw. So I tried it without the Illuma-Lid and realized the issue wasn’t with the candle. I then tried burning a Yankee candle that I had complained about not having a throw. Burning it without the Illuma-Lid made a huge difference.

@ScareyCarrie

The temp has been in the high eighties here and I just received a candle order today. They arrived fine with no melting.
I will definitely try burning my Yankee candles without the Illuma-Lid. Sounds like you are on to something. I always thought to get an even burn you needed a lid on the jar. Perhaps not. Thanks for the information.

I just received a small order that I placed with Yankee that includes a few votives, including Forbidden Apple and Candy Corn, as well as a couple of tealight holders that came with a box of tealights. All arrived unmelted as it has been hot here too. I have to say that Yankee did a wonderful job of wrapping everything that was fragile in bubble wrap (bought a couple of votive holders that are glass). Everything arrived undamaged and within a week of ordering. Also, they gave me free shipping. (y) :)

·
Registered
1,180 Posts

@ScareyCarrie
Thank you so much. I guess I really never knew the proper way to use the lid, and what it can do to a candle if left on too long. Really appreciate the information.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I bought a lot of Candy Corn wax melts from YC. I wonder why they don't bring that back for Halloween. It's a perfect scent for the season! I wasn't happy with either of the new ones last year.

I also hope YC will still be doing their semi-annual sale this year.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Not a candle expert and seriously hesitate relating information for the fear of coming off as a "know it all". I receive most of my information from candle companies by asking questions about the problems I've experienced. And, yes, l have noticed the lids do trap the throw, especially heavily ornate ones.

McCall's Candles caps are, by far, my favorite for starting a candle quickly.

Lids never really helped me with uneven burning, especially if it was a large jar. Someone once suggested that hurricanes work best but not much of a hurricane person. Although unsightly, I wrap my candles in aluminum foil to fix that problem. I've heard of people using hair dryers too.

I'm hoping that YC has a surprise for us this year and it's not the return of TOT and HH. That's great for those who enjoy them, but neither smelled like anything Halloween related to me.

·
Registered
152 Posts
So many good posts here, everything up in the air with brick and mortar Yankee stores, if my local one opens- I’ll be sure to visit because I have a feeling, they will not be around too much longer especially when they are in Walmart’s, Kohl’s, online etc.... I will have to purchase candy corn and forbidden apple votives. Wonder if Yankee candy corn is as good as Goose Creek ?

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
So many good posts here, everything up in the air with brick and mortar Yankee stores, if my local one opens- I’ll be sure to visit because I have a feeling, they will not be around too much longer especially when they are in Walmart’s, Kohl’s, online etc.... I will have to purchase candy corn and forbidden apple votives. Wonder if Yankee candy corn is as good as Goose Creek ?
In my opinion, I find the Goose Creek Candy Corn to be much better than Yankee's. The scent reminds me of the Brachs candy corn. I really like it, and the jar is adorable. I am wondering if Yankee will have their Annual Halloween Preview weekend this August. Quite frankly, I am not even sure if the store I go to for that every year is open. Although I was going to go to a different store this year anyway. Last year's Halloween weekend was really a let down for me. I had high hopes for the new Yankee Halloween candles, i.e., Trick or Treat and Haunted Hayride. I did not like either. Also, my favorite Witches Brew wasn't in any other form other than a large jar. I was hoping for votives, wax melts, tealights. The store wasn't even decorated for Halloween. So, all the way around, a disappointing Yankee Halloween preview.

I believe what you are saying Tinaspaintedlady - Yankee brick and mortar stores may be a thing of the past. Especially since I can buy Yankee candles at my local Walgreens. :oops:

·
Registered
488 Posts
When do they usually announce the Halloween Preview? Wouldn't it be pretty soon? I may drive down to Orange County of they have one and the store in Irvine is open. I have never really been that interested in attending (and no stores are within an hour of me) but I am so starved for ANYTHING fun and festive it would totally be worth the trip. :D

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
When do they usually announce the Halloween Preview? Wouldn't it be pretty soon? I may drive down to Orange County of they have one and the store in Irvine is open. I have never really been that interested in attending (and no stores are within an hour of me) but I am so starved for ANYTHING fun and festive it would totally be worth the trip. :D
The Yankee Halloween Preview is usually the last Saturday in August. I have not heard any news yet about this years. If, and when I do, I will share it here.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Received my order from Crossroads Candles. I have seen this company for quite some time, but this is the first order I have placed with them. They recently had some great offers on their 1/2 pint and pint mason jar candles. I figured this would be a good time for me to try some the scents I might like. I picked up Lemon Cookie, Orange Clove, Grandpa's Pipe in the larger jars, and Gingerbread Cookie and Mama's Sweet Tea in the smaller ones. They all smell fantastic on cold, especially the Sweet Tea. Hope they smell equally as good while burning.

Attachments

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
I'm afraid my local YC will close for good., while a dozen other YC stores have opened in my state, mine remains closed. Last I heard the fall preview has been rescheduled for sometime in July. I wonder if they are going to push back the Halloween preview. I hope not.

@ScareyCarrie You have to let me know about the orange and clove from Crossroads - I want to purchase the Sleepy Hollow labeled jar when they're back in stock. A couple of months ago I picked up Crackling Birch, Grandpa's Pie, and Woodland Cabin - I haven't given them a fair burning yet to decide whether I like them or not.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
I picked up a few candles from Hobby Lobby and if you enjoy a good buttery candle this one is for you! The throw is amazing for my low ceiling home - covers the entire house. They're on sale this week 50% off. I picked up Book Ends, Kona Coffee, and Roasted Pumpkin.

41 - 60 of 69 Posts