Halloween Forum banner
1 - 20 of 111 Posts

·
Premium Member
990 Posts

·
His name is Roger Clyne
10,572 Posts
I've lived next door, LITERALLY next door, to an elementary school for the last 10+ years. We share a property line. While I don't have things up until the day of Halloween & I don't do super gory, I've never had anyone complain.

Before that I lived across the street from my current home & back then I did do gory & more I still didn't get any complaints.

Also, that clip doesn't even really show much & the station is too big a wuss to show it.

This link has more.
http://local12.com/m/news/features/...has-neighbors-upset-216628.shtml#.VhfGrvlViko

It sounds like ONE KID complained. I also call BS on the homeowners on not wanting to be scary. It's scary, that the point for some for Halloween. Some little kids find those inflatables scary, some are afraid of moving things, some are afraid of nothing, it's all relative.

·
Seer of All
2,939 Posts
While I don't see it as all that realistic, I do think it's in pretty bad taste symbolically. One of the props appears to be an impaled child so yeah, I think it's a bit much for the front yard display. I wouldn't do it at all, but that's just me.
In spite of my opinion on the display, it's their yard and they can do as they wish, but they shouldn't be surprised if people avoid their house on Halloween night.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Would I do it? No, but my husband is in law enforcement and so he is sensitive about public perception.

Do I think it is in bad taste? Well, it IS across the street from an elementary school. And the small child mannequin that has a sword through it's throat is a bit over the top. I think it is fine although probably better off in a different neighborhood. I also call BS on the owners not wanting a scary display. Of COURSE they were looking to have a scary display. And to the little girl that wants blow up pumpkins and tiny skeletons.... I have hated that kindergarten decor since I was in kindergarten.

Parents should parent and talk their children about how everyone is different. This little girl is in for a rough life if she grows up without any exposure.

Do I think the owners should take it down or tone it down? NO. Freedom of speech. And freedom to be a jackass as well.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
IMO, there's entirely too much Us and Them mentality going on. Some people are just contentious attention w̶h̶o̶ ̶ seekers who actually want to annoy the neighborhood--pushing the envelope for no other reason than to prove they can. Why make things more polarized? Why try to take those who might be on the fence about Halloween decorating and push then over the other way?

·
Spider Maven
1,471 Posts
Some kids are afraid of Santa. Look at all of the pics of screaming kids trying to get away from him. And that's OK? I guess Santa should be outlawed next. Wondering if I can complain to the mall to get Santa out of there because my son is terrified of him.

·
Registered
134 Posts
It's fine.
It's Halloween.
Let your freak flag fly, is what I say.
You don't need to think it's tasteful or like it, but let it be and if you're worried about your child, parent them properly. People need to stop trying to change the world so they can be lazy when it comes to changing how their child VIEWS the world.

·
Seer of All
2,939 Posts
I wanted to add that even if I think it's in poor taste I was glad to hear that the city council stood up for the homeowner's right of free expression. So often in cases like this, local government seems oblivious to that thing called the constitution. ;)

·
His name is Roger Clyne
10,572 Posts
Well, they can do whatever they want. But I think the display itself is pretty lame if they really are celebrating HALLOWEEN.

That's just me, though.
Well, I don't know if I'd call it lame but I do wonder what they'd think of some of the set-ups here? Some here have waaay more stuff, some have gorier stuff. They'd probably have a complete attack. In fact I was kind of shocked at how little they had in the yard too. I was totally expecting masses of stuff, animated props, fog machines, zombies, just so much more.

I do wonder what happened to actual parenting instead of just complaining on Facebook & creating Fauxtrage or going to the local news about petty crap like this?

I mean think about it, what if I went to that girl's mom & said "you know those inflatables & skeletons offend me, these kids are terrified of that little Frankenstein, take it down." Some kids ARE terrified of inflatables, I know a couple that were terrified of any & all last year.

I feel badly for that little girl because now she'll think the answer to everything isn't stopping & explaining the who/what/where/how & why of things but just being scared, complaining & hoping the world bends to her will.

Maybe I'll go to Petsmart & tell them to stop selling birds because they creep me out when I go past them to buy cat food. That's what they're doing. If they'd asked the people about it first, but no. Let's go express out Fauxtrage on Facebook & the news!!

Wonder what they'd think the one in this thread? Although this is a different situation since they had an HOA to deal with.
http://www.halloweenforum.com/gener...shut-down-neighborhood-halloween-display.html

Is a yard full of everything worse than 4 or 5 gory things? Would it be better if the yard was full of inflatables?

·
Wisp in the Mist
1,953 Posts
I know that my opinion is on the unpopular side, but I just don't get these kind of decorations. To me, Halloween and horror are not synonymous. Halloween used to be the fun kind of scary, not a murder fest. I miss the days before slasher flicks became common.

I wouldn't complain to the city or the owners, even if it upsets my kids. People can do what they want. We'd just skip their house, and neither of us would be out anything.

I will never, ever put up such things, but opinions are opinions, and each one differs.

1 - 20 of 111 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.