Halloween Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sadly I am very late posting this. I was trying this past year to convert the video.
I bought a jvc everio camcorder and the software would not convert it. I just came across a video the other day that suggested just changing the file ext at the end and it WORKED!!!!

Here are the videos from last year showing the e27 16 color leds found on ebay for $5 (All the spotlights you see are those. I have probably 15 of them now since they use only 3 watts but as you will see they are BRIGHT!

Also showing the red / green mini stage lasers as well in trees. Much better than video I took in 2013.
Also a big shout out to DaveInTheGrave. His Ouija board I bought from him is still going strong!

The lights flicking on border are compliments of the Mr Christmas Wireless lights and sound on the halloween setting.
We use this for both halloween and christmas. Funds just have not been there to upgrade to light-o-rama like I wanted to.
Either way here are the links for daytime and then the nighttime video.

Focus is off as it was a new camera but there will be more to come in less than a month!!!!

Here is the dark version

·
Registered
594 Posts
Great Job! I have the same video camera by JVC too. I no longer use it since my camera does video. I have to get the video files off that camera as I believe I have my Halloween 2010 show 'trapped' on that camera. But yeah, I do recall that the software for that camera is junk. But all you have to do is change the extension of the video files to .mpg and you are good.

Back to your display. VERY flashy display. How long did you run the display for? Was it just for the one night or did you run it for several nights? I know my neighbors wouldn't put up with something that flashy for long time. Looks great to me, but you know how neighbors can be.

Love the Oujia board and I read the tut for making that here in the forum a while back. I been wanting to make that prop for a long time now.

You do a walkthrough almost the same way I do and yeah, I am the same way, doing a walkthrough all sweated up...even if it is cold outside.

I have a question for you about those red and green laser lights. You mentioned you got them on Ebay for $17 or so but what are they called? Last year I had a similar effect...but I rented it from a DJ store and it normally costs $80. For $17 each, I certainly would like a couple of those.

This is what I did last year:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PRtKKAn8hA

Here is the narrative:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOiVHcu0ouw

Yes, it was quite a departure from the normal Magic Mirror routine I did. Even though I had fun doing it, the Creep Machine didn't get the response like the Magic Mirror.

This year I am not planning on doing much, sadly. My mom passed away in August and my dad isn't in the mood for me doing something big at the house. So I am only going to be doing something small this year. My kids and my wife will be in costume and I will put up some lights, but nothing big. I intend to have a large speaker outside that will play Halloween/Spooky music in the background. But I just will not have a big 'act' this year.

Anyway, keep up the great work. I am curious to what you are going to do this year.

Diaval

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
AWESOME VIDEO! I'm really digging that creep machine.

As for the laser, I noticed your display had a similar one. The ones I use are called "Red Green Stage Light laser" Just cheap china made ones but I actually have about 10 of them now. A few are backups but never needed them yet.
Theres some that are in 2 packs for $25.99.
Not sure if I can post the link but here is the item number on ebay...
eBay item number: 151678509612
If you paste that number into an ebay search it should pull them up. Those are the new slightly smaller ones without a fan. Seem to work just as good as the bulky blue ones. They are all the same inside when you open them up.

Best price on ebay for 2 of them.
I actually just bought 2 more because I also take them apart and use them for the laser vortex.
I disconnect the red laser and the motor wires, then I remove the plastic difusers pieces of plastic and put it back together. Then just use the straight green laser pointed at the cpu fan motor with the mirror glued on it.

We normally just do halloween lighting for one night but this new neighborhood we moved to is VERY halloween friendly. They had decorations all over the place in September! It is the biggest development that everyone trick or treats at and 3 different neighbors said to be prepared for 300-400 kids. I heard about this area before but had no idea where it was but once we moved here all the neighbors told me we found it lol.

So I am happily at home here lol..

The day after, we start tearing stuff down then start working on Christmas. We go all out for both. I'm sure this neighborhood is going to love me :)
Just wait til they see what I have planned for flashing at christmas lol. Some of my other videos can be found on the same youtube account these videos are uploaded on....

·
Registered
594 Posts
AWESOME VIDEO! I'm really digging that creep machine.
Thank you. I am glad you liked the Creep Machine. Many people did like it, but at least more than half of them were looking for the Magic Mirror. I was surprised that after four years of religiously doing the Magic Mirror, that my neighbors would embrace something new. But that wasn't the case with everyone. They really loved the Magic Mirror. Next year I am going to go back to it. Sadly, unless I get people asking for it, I think the Creep Machine was a one shot deal. I thought it was a good idea. With never having enough room for a full on walkthrough attraction, I got the idea that I would instead have the people stand in one place and I would bring the scares to them. I think the concept is still good, but perhaps the execution just didn't get the response I was looking for.

I based the whole attraction on the old 1973 short movie, "The Creeps Machine" which they used to show kids in elementary schools at the time to help kids deal with their fears. I just made mine bigger and badder.

As for the laser, I noticed your display had a similar one. The ones I use are called "Red Green Stage Light laser" Just cheap china made ones but I actually have about 10 of them now. A few are backups but never needed them yet.
Theres some that are in 2 packs for $25.99.
Not sure if I can post the link but here is the item number on ebay...
eBay item number: 151678509612
If you paste that number into an ebay search it should pull them up. Those are the new slightly smaller ones without a fan. Seem to work just as good as the bulky blue ones. They are all the same inside when you open them up.
Yes, I did have a similar one. But mine was made by a company (IDJ Now) that specifically deals with commercial sound and lighting. They were selling it for $80. That one in my display I rented along with the loudspeakers.

http://www.idjnow.com/american-dj-micro-galaxian.html?gclid=CLTyy8y-scgCFQePHwodrEILnw

I am shocked to see that the ones you linked to look almost identical to the one I rented. And to think I almost bought it for $80. I can't thank you enough for posting that video as now I can get two of them for nearly a 1/4 of the price. Granted the one IDJ Now sells doesn't have a duty cycle. You can run it all evening. But it is like you said in your video...for that low price it seems to be OK if you 'push it a bit' for one or two nights.

[/QUOTE]
Best price on ebay for 2 of them.
I actually just bought 2 more because I also take them apart and use them for the laser vortex.
I disconnect the red laser and the motor wires, then I remove the plastic difusers pieces of plastic and put it back together. Then just use the straight green laser pointed at the cpu fan motor with the mirror glued on it. [/QUOTE]

Yeah, that was a great that you hacked one to create that fantastic vortex effect. Looks like the weather behaved well as fog and wind usually don't mix. Living on Long Island in NY, we usually have PLENTY wind for Halloween.

We normally just do halloween lighting for one night but this new neighborhood we moved to is VERY halloween friendly. They had decorations all over the place in September! It is the biggest development that everyone trick or treats at and 3 different neighbors said to be prepared for 300-400 kids. I heard about this area before but had no idea where it was but once we moved here all the neighbors told me we found it lol.
Yeah, I was going to ask you if you moved because I saw a video you did in which you had the WHOLE front lawn and house decorated. Clearly a fantastic display. I noted that the house in this video was different.

So I am happily at home here lol..
That is good and it is good that you have cool neighbors too.

The day after, we start tearing stuff down then start working on Christmas. We go all out for both. I'm sure this neighborhood is going to love me :)
Just wait til they see what I have planned for flashing at christmas lol. Some of my other videos can be found on the same youtube account these videos are uploaded on....
LOL, I am the same way. Once I am done with Halloween, then it is time to break out my Vixen program and light controllers and get ready for Christmas. Sadly though, with my mom's passing, I am not doing anything big this year for Halloween, nor Christmas. Just not in the mood. I just going to do enough to keep the kids happy and that is it.

BTW, do you still have the link to the tutorial to make that Ouija Board?

What are your plans for this Halloween?

Diaval.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts