Halloween Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What kind of themes are you doing? It can be off movies,video games I would like to hear your ideas and thoughts on this subject

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Since Halloween 2019 was rained out I’m actually recycling our themes from last year because we haven’t technically used them yet. Keep in mind we have a wide lot that’s not too deep. For the front yard it’s a big hay bale, scarecrow, pumpkin and witch display with tons of farm related skeleton critters. The side yard was supposed to be a spooky forest complete with moon and werewolves and a gypsy tent cause someone had to curse you or save from being a werewolf. I’m currently working on revising the side yard with a potential walk through. I’m really trying to play up the spooky forest idea. I’d like to create a massive vulture nest area with deathly looking trees. Add more trees for the werewolves and the path turn into an L turn where our spider widow prop lives with her giant spiders. We are really trying to balance a cute display with a slightly darker one that’s optional.

What are you working on theme wise?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Just expanding and fine tuning the Pirate Graveyard from prior years, since I couldn't use last year's new props because of the rain and snow, i've already gotten a jump start on this year's new additions.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Not entirely sure if I will be able to do a haunt this year or not. The out building I had used for prior haunts was damaged by a falling tree. Plus my house isn't located in the best spot for doing haunts as it seems fewer guests roll by. I have a large portion of yard off the beaten path from my driveway though, and always thought it'd be super cool to do a haunted still/shack. Basically have the whole plot be themed around a bootleg whiskey still which exploded and killed the family involved in making it.They would then come back as angry ghosts intent on taking your body in order to finish making their backwoods moonshine.

·
They call me HeebieJeebie
2,006 Posts
I just cut out 11 new headstones for my cemetery so I can get rid of all the cheap foam ones. I hadn't really thought of a 'theme' yet since usually my skeletons are dancing or trick-or-treating or something goofy like that. Then as my daughter was cleaning her room, she came out with a whole clothes basket full of socks and commented that I should have an "Attack of the Sock Monster" theme this year :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: which could be pretty darn funny.....

·
Caretaker of Eerie Manor
6,551 Posts
We've changed themes every year for the past 6 years, re-configuring our front yard layout and haunt structure each time. We've done an over run zombie research lab, a creepy clown carnival, a Vampire lair, witches house, Frankenstein lab, and last year's Druid crypt. This year is a scaled back haunt and the facade will be a mausoleum utilizing projections in the door way. It will be modeled after a mausoleum in our local cemetery that is called the vampire's crypt. We plan to use a vampire themed yard setting to set the tone.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
We've changed themes every year for the past 6 years, re-configuring our front yard layout and haunt structure each time. We've done an over run zombie research lab, a creepy clown carnival, a Vampire lair, witches house, Frankenstein lab, and last year's Druid crypt. This year is a scaled back haunt and the facade will be a mausoleum utilizing projections in the door way. It will be modeled after a mausoleum in our local cemetery that is called the vampire's crypt. We plan to use a vampire themed yard setting to set the tone.
Can’t wait to see pictures! Nothing says Halloween like vampires ?‍♂.

·
Caretaker of Eerie Manor
6,551 Posts

·
Shadow box dancer
1,443 Posts
This is such a cool thread, especially right now, to see what people are looking forward to doing!

We're going to be doing the same theme once again, but we'll be adding stuff to it. That's been our plan all along. Next year will be the last year for the Steamtown Gotham theme. I've planned it out since that will be the last weekend Halloween day for a while. Then I'll either be starting from scratch with everything all new or I'll be recycling some of the stuff we already have. But, I'm definitely looking forward to something new. I wish I could be on of those people that does something new every year but I know I definitely don't have enough energy to pull that off to the level I've gotten used to.

Can't wait to hear more of these themes!!!

·
Registered
113 Posts
My theme is probably going to stick with vintage since it's what I have up year round. I'll be spending Halloween in Japan this year so I can't go big. I have been collecting witchy decor lately so I might have a witch themed room.

1,276 Posts
We always do a cemetery at the top of our driveway on the strip of property the county was nice enough MANY years ago to leave behind when they plowed out a road. So once all the major chores that have been sitting on the back burner for years get done during our sit stay I hope to get some new stones done. I'd also like to get a new cemetery fence made to add to the arch we did last year. We got the Atmosfear's moon projection last year and I'd like to get a way to project it up into our misshaped apple trees... just a tad to much shade where they were planted. Yes I know I should put them out of their misery and cut them down but it gives the top of the drive a rather eerie look and yes they do make a few apples for the deer.

If they get to do the Chamber's TOT this year the plan is to deck out our retired hearse with newlyweds Earl and his bride's first Halloween inspired Christmas tree. Last year it was their wedding.

We hope to be able to hold our second annual Halloween camp out and potluck. This years theme will be Witches. I was really excited to work on this last winter but slowly the realization this might not happen, even in Oct they say we'll still be social distancing or capping groups to less then 50, has placed any new builds on hold for now.

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,782 Posts
can'tsleepBarlowwilleatme....can'tsleepBarlowwilleatme.....can'tsleepBarlowwilleatme....can'tsleepBarlowwilleatme....can'tsleepBarlowwilleatme....can'tsleepBarlowwilleatme....can'tsleepBarlowwilleatme....

:eek::eek::eek:

I have that mask too & I have to keep it in the basement, in a bag, turned to the wall. I still have nightmares about the Glick Boys too.

·
Ghouls Rule
2,589 Posts
With slight trepidation, Ive been planning to do witches. I say trepidation because every single time my family did this theme its always been a bust. Big breath, long post.

I think I just have to shift my mind from how many tots I might get this year because I originally started doing the haunt as a sort of annual family get together, the tots were kinda just an afterthought, like if they come, they come. *Throws candy.

I moved into a new place and Ill be able to decorate and do my party again, however zero kids come on my street per my boyfriend. There are a few school kids I see that walk my street so I need a catchy sign with appropriate verbage to let the kids know its worth a stop to tot. Im also thinking I might put these signs around the neighborhood in general, and on Facebook.

My moms neighborhood is hands down the best because the kids are basically bussed in, its like the walking dead numbers but with tots, its anxiety inducing but fun, her space to decorate is very limited. It would be the most action but I have at least 15 witches to spread out and my ideas just wont fit her space.

I want to do a dilapidated gingerbread facade with a flame lit and smoky oven and kids in a cage or two wearing vintage plastic mask costumes. So like, they are cooking them, one being dragged to oven, I have the Stew Brew witch holding the screaming kid. That prop makes me laugh 😅. It wont be gorey, but definitely creepy So thats the main idea. But because I have at least 15 or 16 full size witches, I am also doing a flight school outside complete with crashed witch.

In my new home I have a side driveway that leads to the backyard. I plan to put the witch school girls up front as its not too scary yet. Kinda whimsical. As you approach the facade entry, a greeter witch that does no movement except her head/ mouth, right inside will be the lunging witch and my swampy area, frogs and stuff, the rising swamp witch. Getting scarier.

Go through the fence to the backyard space, it will be enclosed with one of those 10x10 tents but extended about another 4 feet on the sides and back with cardboard walls. These will be easy to imitate gingerbread, since it rains in FL Ill have the backsides covered in plastic sheeting. The sheeting has been my secret weapon these past few years for the temporary setups Ive done.Especially since I use alot of cardboard. But this time Ill be making a bit more durable as it needs to holdup starting in Aug.

Pallets for the props to stand on is my only conundrum because my backyard floods and I dont want the props ruined but also they will be standing even taller over the kids. Ill have to raise the tent too.

Because I dont want these ladies speaking all at once Ill choose the ones to talk using the motion sensor trigger hack using house floods, and set the others to basically stay on and moving but silent if theres a volume control. I use mini strobes to activate, they hide easy under the dresses if the trigger is on the base. If in chest then will do the driveway alert trigger trick.

I have rough sketches right now and plan to use black cat inflatables in surrounding yard eating broken gingerbread people, lol. A few other witches will be at my front door and other side of house that either dont work properly or doesn't fit the aesthetic of others. If they get stolen or ruined more I wont cry much lol.

The rest can thankfully be worked on behind a fence and will only have to bring in like 4 witches Halloween night so I don't have to do a full tear down right away like Ive been doing.

Ive been away a bit so this is my chance to do it up like I used to, to some degree. I sure hope covid doesn't ruin it, we already lost Halloween being on a Friday this year.
I can stay a safe distance from tots if they come, they can go in and get their candy in tent by themselves. Brainstorming how to do that too. If I should give candy as they arrive or let them grab what they want. Let their parents sort them?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts