Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
By now there's at least four halloween cities all around my area. This year, zero, nada, zilch, nothing. And I don't see any evidence there will be either. I mean like, NONE in NY. Weird. I like the choice between spirit and halloween city. They usually carried some different things to choose from. And heck, the more halloween stores the merrier. This year though, nothing. Wonder why.

:eek:

·
Registered
684 Posts
How odd that you don't have at least one. We have one in our area but I have to admit this year I thought their selection was sub par. Very few props and what they had was of such bad quality that most were already starting to fray or rip.
They are owned by Party City so I thought i would head over there to see if they are doing any better.

·
Banned
2,717 Posts
I'm glad that I'm not the only person who thought it was weird this year. Usually there are at least two or three Halloween stores near me rather it be Spirit, Halloween City, or a independent Halloween store. This year this is no sight of Spirit within 15 miles of where I live. I looked only and they are scattered in other areas. A lot of towns near me are big towns and usually have a Spirit store in them but not this year. Also, the only Halloween City is in my town but that's pretty much it. Halloween Express seems to be more scarce as ever this year too. Besides Halloween City and Party City there is nothing else within miles of where I live. I hope the days of Halloween shops aren't starting to become a thing of the past. I used to drive to different towns and spot a Halloween store and stop in but not this year. I do miss having those shops in my town as it does not feel like Halloween without stopping by to browse.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Ours, too. NOTHING other than Spirit here. Last year we had Halloween City, Halloween Express, Spirit and a couple other smaller cheapo Halloween stores. I even checked the website for Halloween Express and it says it's going to be in the same location but there is not even a banner or coming soon anything!

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
And that's the thing- searching for location by my zip code brings up nothing closer than CT & PA. Just really odd because they always do well. Maybe they think no one will buy because of Sandy here last year. Maybe the rents have gone up too high for them around here. Beats me, but I miss them.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Trust me you are not missing much. I went to my local Halloween City and walked out the door 5 minutes later, empty handed. The props were horrible and way over priced. The staff was lackluster to say the least. Ugh disappointment was in the air with most everyone that came in. I saw people looking at the prices and commenting about how cheaply made things were. I usually only go there for their costume selections, not this year. Maybe there is hope for next year.

·
Banned
2,717 Posts
Trust me you are not missing much. I went to my local Halloween City and walked out the door 5 minutes later, empty handed. The props were horrible and way over priced. The staff was lackluster to say the least. Ugh disappointment was in the air with most everyone that came in. I saw people looking at the prices and commenting about how cheaply made things were. I usually only go there for their costume selections, not this year. Maybe there is hope for next year.
Halloween City is a big disappointment this year. Usually their prices beat out Spirit but everything was expensive for what it was. They kept telling me that they were expecting another shipment with more stuff but I think that's as good as they are going to get. I wonder what happened over the last few years? They used to at least have a few cool things. Even the props looked sad.

·
Kitchen/Green Witch
6,602 Posts
We have a Halloween City for the first time, too...but it's not open yet. Regardless, I went to one out of town the weekend before last and walked out with nothing. I went to several Spirits, a Halloween City and a Halloween Express and I was disappointed with them all. Mind you, I had to REALLY search for these stores this year, driving for hours! Definitely not as many Halloween stores this year. :(

·
Banned
2,717 Posts
We have a Halloween City for the first time, too...but it's not open yet. Regardless, I went to one out of town the weekend before last and walked out with nothing. I went to several Spirits, a Halloween City and a Halloween Express and I was disappointed with them all. Mind you, I had to REALLY search for these stores this year, driving for hours! Definitely not as many Halloween stores this year. :(
Even though the last few years I hardly ever walked out of those stores buying anything, it doesn't feel like Halloween without them. I do think the prices are too high and most of the selection you can find elsewhere much cheaper.

·
Kitchen/Green Witch
6,602 Posts
Even though the last few years I hardly ever walked out of those stores buying anything, it doesn't feel like Halloween without them. I do think the prices are too high and most of the selection you can find elsewhere much cheaper.
Yep, that is true...whether I buy something or not, I still need to go to the Halloween stores each year, lol. I will say I did see one silly prop that I almost bought...they were ducks with sheets over them...ghost ducks, hahaha. I may still have to buy those...

·
Banned
2,717 Posts
Yep, that is true...whether I buy something or not, I still need to go to the Halloween stores each year, lol. I will say I did see one silly prop that I almost bought...they were ducks with sheets over them...ghost ducks, hahaha. I may still have to buy those...
Haven't seen those but I am done with those strobe skull lights that play the Saw theme. It seems like the Halloween store have carried those for years. I'm sick of them. I was interested in those blood drip lights and the price wasn't that bad.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts