Halloween Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This year's theme is "CarnEVIL" or "Circus of the Damned"....one of the big pieces I'm working on is a small (3 horse) carousel. I want the carousel to rotate. I've already purchased 3 re-created carousel horses about 40" long by 30" tall. I plan to paint them as follows: Skeletal Horse, Ghost Horse, and a Hell Horse.

That said, I'd like to build a 6 wide circular platform to create a rotating carousel. Does anyone have experience with this or know where I might look for motor systems capable of rotating about 50-60 pounds of materials?

Thanks

John

·
Human Candy Shovel
1,107 Posts
I know commercial washing machines are rated by the weight of the load they'll hold. For example, the Dexter triple load washers are rated for 30 lbs dry laundry, IIRC. The few gallons of water that go in means the motor is rated for more than double the dry weight of the laundry.

One of our members used an electric mobility scooter motor for a rumble bridge driver, and the bridge should work with more than one person standing on it.

Make your carousel with sufficient load bearing wheels in tracks, which will reduce the strain on whatever motor you use.

·
the horror up North ...Eh
2,988 Posts
I have done a carousel probably using the same horses , the kids hobby ones?. any way was looking at a winch motor or one from a garage door opener that had major torque becase you will be pushing a bunch of weight here is the link to my build including the horses i made.

http://www.halloweenforum.com/members/ihauntu-albums-scareousel.html

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all for the responses.

Dana, good idea on the wheels and track. I'll have to figure out how to do that, but it's sound.

IHauntU, that's an incredible carousel! It gives me some additional inspiration for mine!

The horses I'm using are actually made of HDPE (Can't post a link but search for 'sellsthebest' on ebay) from that seller. I've gotten the 3 'smaller' ones that sell for around $300 each and free shipping. They are light (7-11 pounds each).

John

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Are you planning on having people actually ride it, or just for display? You might be able to use a wiper motor if you don't need it to carry riders.

·
Registered
115 Posts
If anyone is looking for kids horses; those rocking, spring mounted horses, PM me. I have 6 or 7 taking up storage space. I was planning on building a carousel, so I got the horses, but ended up buying a Gemmy carousel.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts