Halloween Forum banner

81 - 100 of 148 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
I’ve always been partial to vintage Halloween candy ads. Today’s candy, although fun, does seem to lack some of the character and whimsical nature of the past.
I think it's because the vast majority of Halloween advertisements, for candy and everything else, are focused on licensed characters now. We're being fed the same characters year after year. Don't get me wrong, I love some of those characters, but I wanna see new stuff I haven't seen before, in styles I haven't seen before, etc.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Mmm, I might just have to brave Target for the Maple Creme oreos. Those are some of my favorites.

I might be alone in this, but I really like the cats on the Kit Kat packaging. Not enough to forgive the year I had to unload some ungodly number of boxes of KitKats at work because someone in corporate decided they were the most popular Halloween candy, but still, the art is cute.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I think it's because the vast majority of Halloween advertisements, for candy and everything else, are focused on licensed characters now. We're being fed the same characters year after year. Don't get me wrong, I love some of those characters, but I wanna see new stuff I haven't seen before, in styles I haven't seen before, etc.
I agree. There is some cool stuff out there, but originality would be a breath of (ghoulish) fresh air.

Look at these older Pez, how neat and interesting.
FB093817-4A31-4765-8BA5-0F7A125B0531.jpeg

The 2020 Pez seem like they’re just dialing it in now 😭
595DAB84-BC75-4177-ACD7-923771EE0705.jpeg

·
Registered
383 Posts
Found a bunch of candy and junk food at my Walmart the other day. Including this year's VooDew flavor. I got two bottles. Still no Halloween Oreo's, Cookies & Cream Fangs, Pumpkin Pie Pop-Tarts, Monster Cereals, or a few other things that are still on my list but I did get the basics like Pumpkin Pie Kit Kats, Reese's Bats and some various candy corn flavors to help me try to like candy corn more then I do (I really dislike the stuff lol).

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Has anyone found the Hocus Pocus cookies yet? Or the Maple Fudge Stripes ( not sure what to call them...Keebler Elves) I want some of the VooDew as well. I don't like the flavor much but I love the label.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Mix Brach's Candy Corn with Planters Redskin Peanuts & tastes just like a Payday candy bar. I can do without candy corn unless eaten this way.

Walmart had the Halloween Oreos in display in aisle & weren't where the other flavors were.

Von Maur has Halloween candy from Long Grove Confectionery & Jewel (around here in IL) carries their Nonpariels with the orange sprinkles for Halloween & they are delicious. Want some of the Dark Choc Broken Broomsticks & the Milk Choc Pumpkin.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Has anyone seen Sour Patch Kids Zombie kids (The packages of orange and purple) or Hershey Caramel Apples anywhere?

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Not sure how I feel about these more adult treats and drinks.

View attachment 735402
Had a Pumpkin Spice Lat
I’ve always been partial to vintage Halloween candy ads. Today’s candy, although fun, does seem to lack some of the character and whimsical nature of the past.

View attachment 735989 View attachment 735993 View attachment 735992 View attachment 735986 View attachment 735988 View attachment 735990 View attachment 735991
View attachment 736058 View attachment 735987
Wonderful old ads. I remember some of them. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
654 Posts
I have been looking for those maple striped keebler cookies as well ....so far no luck! I found the reese's cups that are 1/2 green as well as the kit kats that are green. At first I thought I liked the kit kats thought they kind of reminded me of those circus animal frosted cookies minus the sprinkles but the second one I ate I thought what are you thinking.....these things are not very good! shipping them off to the grandkids :sneaky: Some of those old labels bring back some good memories!

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Yes! Some of the best candies are the older ones. I remember there was one that came in a clear cellophane wrapper and it was a little white rectangle with brown stripes that tasted like the inside of a butterfinger. No clue what that candy is but I was always thrilled to find it in my bag.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I think it is also that those ads came from the minds of artists, and were hand drawn. They were art. Nowadays, the same ads are probably computer generated, and lack the imagination and vision that the old artists had.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Yes! Some of the best candies are the older ones. I remember there was one that came in a clear cellophane wrapper and it was a little white rectangle with brown stripes that tasted like the inside of a butterfinger. No clue what that candy is but I was always thrilled to find it in my bag.
You mean Atkinson's Peanut Butter Bars? I concur, those are awesome.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I may be late to this, but has anyone tried the mini Pumpkin Pie Kit Kat’s? Wow-they’re actually darn good. (Sorry trick or treaters, I won’t be letting these Kats out of their bag. 🤫)

Ironically as much as I love candy imagery and Halloween candyana, I don’t really eat much candy other than a nice piece of dark chocolate here and there...but these I’ll eat!

It’s a very creamy and spiced pumpkin pie flavor; the added crunch seals the deal.

A must if you are a pumpkin pie or PSL lover. Put in the fridge, they’re good cold too.
(Purchased @ Target)
128CDB93-F182-4F48-8A15-D2376FD89C61.jpeg

·
Registered
76 Posts
Has anyone seen Sour Patch Kids Zombie kids (The packages of orange and purple) or Hershey Caramel Apples anywhere?
I saw these at Target in their big Halloween candy section. I like the old timey candy parlor vibe they gave the section this year.

I think I even saw the zombie patch kids in individual funsize packs to hand out.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I saw these at Target in their big Halloween candy section. I like the old timey candy parlor vibe they gave the section this year.

I think I even saw the zombie patch kids in individual funsize packs to hand out.
Okay. I've seen them at Target in past years but haven't seen them yet at any of the Targets I've been to, although maybe not all the candy is out yet.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Some more vintage candy ads that are a real treat. Threw in some other Halloween goodies that are too fun to pass up.
800F25B0-F17F-466A-B484-8B32DC360C37.jpeg
FB3A6BAB-4EC7-4C30-9A77-4466BFF7820C.png
983135F2-EF54-4828-83AD-2807D983EE70.jpeg
8A1434D8-8E65-47AD-8FFD-9EE98E097CCB.png

B3EBF315-536F-4087-B484-EB417C0EEA89.jpeg
E4D98B34-A908-4650-9B31-56C7F7C8A952.jpeg
E8750BE7-FF93-4B12-802A-185C21CB9E7C.jpeg
I
047B5C94-8AE7-432B-8EBF-AD7C7744D30D.jpeg

F0872CE2-B3DA-4254-82F7-49DB5B903EA3.jpeg

Sorry, I had to throw in the Weeny Witch. For those who don’t know, she her own Halloween party idea booklets. It’s defacto 50s insanity, and I’m here for it.

The paper masks found in them are still some of the best ephemera. Think about it: A hot dog, dressed as a witch, made annual Halloween party books for 4-5 years in a row(???) It’s a little gross and kind of awesome. 🤢 🥳

81 - 100 of 148 Posts