Halloween Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live on a main road and get zero trick or treaters and my Halloween skillz must be put to use somewhere. So our campground has a contest for the best decorated campsite. And what is cool is they have 3 weekends of Halloween. We spent the last 2 hauling all our stuff down to the campsites and setting everything up. I have a daytime and nighttime video, the nighttime vid is a bit grainy so please bear with it.
My newest additions are the cradle, the cauldron and the witch.
Hope you like it.

DAYTIME
YouTube - 120ft O Halloween (Daytime)

NIGHTTIME
YouTube - 120ft O Halloween (Nightime)

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
That's an incredible set up....I really like the skull in the cauldron that pops up...How did you do that?....I have witches this year and may want to do that next year ;)....We have a local camp ground that goes all out like that and it's one of the places we hit every year....This year, their big night is the 17th for "outsiders" so we'll go down that evening, go to the lodge to get tickets for the haunted barn, wait for the tractor to give us a hayride through the woods up to the barn where they have a dj/bonfire/food...The barn is actually done up very well wit lot's of twists and turns with great looking props....We walk back down though so we can go through the camp sites to see how everyone decorated finally making our way back to the lodge for hot chocalate....It's something I really look forward to every year....There's also a small town about 4 or 5 miles from there that has a Halloween parade every year we go to as well...The parade is at night so they string cobwebs and scary things off the firetrucks....Hot rods with the really cool neon with an occasional blucky with strobe trying to get out of the trunk, etc....School bands marching in costume and floats with smoke machines/ spooky stuff.....It's pretty fun....You've done a great job!...ZR

·
Reaper Queen
8,728 Posts
great haunt, you must havve a very large site, you have alot of props, very cool set up!! I am going this week end for the first of 2 campground haunts, in Michigan alot of the state parks do them, so will set up this week end, and then in 2 weeks set up again!

·
Registered
14,084 Posts
Thundr, so nice to see the cradle in action in a haunt. I like that you put up a daytime and nighttime video so we really had a chance to see everything in both lights. Maybe it's just hard for me to see the cradle at night and I know it's black also, but I thought maybe a little subtle lighting around it or even maybe under it would help. I could see the inside pretty well in the dark. The cradle is such a beautifuly shape I'm thinking people at night miss out on it kind of.

Living on a busy main street is a bummer when it comes to Halloween and you want people to come up to your door. Christmas is different because they can just drive by and see things from a distance. It's great that you have such a wonderful camp ground situtation to enjoy some of the holiday still. And triple the pleasure must be nice. So do you guys sit around a campfire and tell spooky and scary stories?

I'm not sure if the skull-bobbing cauldron with the body parts was yours or a neighbors but that was pretty cool too. I wasn't expecting it so it gave a nice little scare there. Thanks so much for sharing everything with us.

·
Registered
9 Posts
That is amazing - so much thought has gone into it. I loved the cauldron and the baby in the cot. Wish we had warmer weather here as we could offer camping - but I think it would just be too cold!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's an incredible set up....I really like the skull in the cauldron that pops up...How did you do that?....I have witches this year and may want to do that next year ;)....We have a local camp ground that goes all out like that and it's one of the places we hit every year....This year, their big night is the 17th for "outsiders" so we'll go down that evening, go to the lodge to get tickets for the haunted barn, wait for the tractor to give us a hayride through the woods up to the barn where they have a dj/bonfire/food...The barn is actually done up very well wit lot's of twists and turns with great looking props....We walk back down though so we can go through the camp sites to see how everyone decorated finally making our way back to the lodge for hot chocalate....It's something I really look forward to every year....There's also a small town about 4 or 5 miles from there that has a Halloween parade every year we go to as well...The parade is at night so they string cobwebs and scary things off the firetrucks....Hot rods with the really cool neon with an occasional blucky with strobe trying to get out of the trunk, etc....School bands marching in costume and floats with smoke machines/ spooky stuff.....It's pretty fun....You've done a great job!...ZR

The cauldron is a real cast iron cauldron. I drilled out a half inch hole, half inch by three eights brass male elbow on bottom. Inside I have a half inch female adapter, cpvc with a half inch pipe about 10 inches long. Over that I have a three quater pipe with a cap on it. That slides over the smaller pipe. I opened up the skull and screwed the skull to the top of the pipe attached a travel cord to the back of the skull so as not to launch the skull and voila, scary. I found out that you have to let the line below fill with water because pneumatic pressure is not enough to push past the water but hydrolic is. The blood on it is red liquid electrical tape. Also I ran the simple controller over beside the campfire so whoever is setting there can trigger the props. I'll post some scares after this weekend!!

P.S. I love old dishwasher solenoid valves!!!

·
livin Halloween every day
1,989 Posts
You campsite looks great. I too love the cauldron effect, i would love to see in detail how you do it. This is the first time i have ever seen an affect like that and it looks very cool. I also like your robed figure holding the package of meat.
Very nice set up.

·
Registered
552 Posts

are you talking about the campground outside of Ghettysburg, we went there late september and people were already setting up for halloween. But the barn was still being built.

·
Registered
650 Posts
That is great Thundr! I love the witch and the cauldron with the feet, bones, and skull... (might steal the idea one day... ;) )

I don't like camping (to be honest, I despise it...) but 3 weekends of Halloween?? I might just reconsider my position ;) :p

1 - 15 of 15 Posts