Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every year I set a Halloween budget. Most years I somewhat stick to it, some years spending a bit more and others a bit less. This year though I have gone waaaay over budget to the tune of shelling out about ten times more than what I allocated. Part of it may be that I found a couple of rare, high-dollar items that I had been searching a long time for so when they became available I picked them up. The rest of it, well, I really don't know and have no excuse, other than perhaps I have been influenced by some of you on this forum. ;)

What about the rest of you? Do you set a limit as to what you will spend on Halloween and if so, are you up or down on it this year?

Also, at this point in the season, I have pretty much purchased everything I am going to unless there is something specific I am looking for or waiting on. All of the new releases are out by the major players and most of the stores, with a few exceptions, have stocked their shelves. Usually by the first week in September at the latest, my Halloween shopping is done.

What about you? At what point in the season have you usually spent all that you are going to, in general of course, for the present Halloween?

·
Registered
461 Posts
Do you set a limit as to what you will spend on Halloween and if so, are you up or down on it this year?

I usually set a budget around 500 I tend to go over every year. This year no idea what I am doing no budget just doing as I go along. One high dollar project and a few recycled things and still have plenty of time before the big day.

My defense... I spent about 250 last year

At what point in the season have you usually spent all that you are going to, in general of course, for the present Halloween?

This one is easy the day before :) the day after is for next year :D

·
Dawn of the Dead
1,848 Posts
I try not to think about how much I spend but if I feel I'm going way over, I'll try and sell some old props or other items I don't need to make up for it. A nice way to purge your unwanted household accumulation and you won't feel so bad about that big purchase.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
I usually set a limit rather than an actual line item budget, this year I have a budget ($1,000) and I have been disciplined so far. The budget includes food, drink and invitations for my party too, decorations are my weakness. I usually go over by making the rounds of stores like marshalls and homegoods that continually get stuff. I'm sticking to mostly buying for outside this year, that has also helped.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Like dbruner I usually set a limit. This year 275.00. And places like Home Goods that keep putting things out are a weakness. I don’t have a lot of Halloween things and this year started a couple of collections. Yankee Candle and Boney Bunch pushed me over the limit.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Hmmm.. don’t really set a budget. I shop year round for vintage Halloween & only buy if I can’t find it anywhere else.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I should definitely give myself a budget, but honestly I’m terrible at keeping them. In years past I’ve spent hundreds on decor, but this year (so far) I’ve spent around 100-125 on random pieces. I haven’t seen anything that’s really stood out to me as a must have so I’m thinking/hoping this season will be a little lighter on the purse strings lol

·
Registered
39 Posts
Like most here, I've gone over what I've thought I would spend, but I'm trying to really up my game with my haunted woods this year. Big ticket items were a pair of Swamp Creeper 3000 fog machines, professional tombstones and Home Depot got me with the giant spider and headless horseman. Now there will be some lumber and paint to create the scenes.. Problem is my wife isn't completely aware of what I've bought already and she wants to go shopping!! HAHA!

·
Super Moderator
5,823 Posts
I have a budget which is reserved for my projects. Normally those are Halloween.

So on the year, I am WAY over budget. Close to your 10x. However, practically none of that was toward Halloween .

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
I never really had a budget for Halloween and some years I really went overboard, like spending around $1000.00. Then when I got really sick a few years ago .....I mean really bad, I just kept buying and last year was my worse set up here at the house. Just could not get the stuff up at all. I just put up the 2 new mummies from Grandin Road and the one I bought at Home Depot.

Usually the stuff I buy is to build a scene so I look for all kinds of stuff all year long. These last few years I was buying to build a Tribute to the Walking Dead...I needed everything new and I just kept buying stuff. Now 2018 my illness is worse than ever but I decided to get my display up somehow. It won't be the Walking Dead but I could do an entirely new display with all the merchandise I have bought in the last 4 years that IS STILL IN THE BOXES IT CAME IN.
I'm laughing as I say this but this year I really wanted a werewolf and I decided today there is just no room in storage for one more piece.

So even though I say I'm not buying anything I been peeking through you guys threads from the stores and I saw a few things that I might just pick up. So the fun this year will be to get out all the brand new stuff plus all the stuff I have not seen these last few years that we did not decorate. I do pick up pieces after Halloween if I run onto a good deal. In my earlier years I spent $300.00 - $500.00 a year, that did not include candy. My numbers use to run 600 TrT's.

·
The Big Kahuna of Fright
4,329 Posts
Hang in there, fellow haunters; the longer you're in this, the more stuff you accumulate. Then, at that point, theoretically, less cash outlay is involved.
But somehow we, at Chez Wolfman, have yet to reach that point...

·
Registered
226 Posts
Lol Budget???? What is that? lol Im kidding I dont really have a budget but I am ALWAYS over haha. I spend about $1500 - $2000 every year. Between decorations, food, and everything else. I know its kinda crazy but I work a full time job for fun. So thats the money I use towards Halloween every year.

·
Registered
633 Posts
I don't have a budget, I get what I think I need and don't worry about it. I was going to go all out this year, putting in a full walk-through haunt, but it didn't happen because I never had the time to spend on it. Maybe next year. Who knows? I honestly don't even keep track of what I spend, so long as I have a good time.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Hang in there, fellow haunters; the longer you're in this, the more stuff you accumulate. Then, at that point, theoretically, less cash outlay is involved.
But somehow we, at Chez Wolfman, have yet to reach that point...
That's the logical side of your brain talking....The problem is the artistic side just won't listen.....I'm finding my interests changing from buying props to buying tools to make props....3d printers and cnc routers are radically changing the way home projects are built....I got a 3d printer last year and have learned a lot over the last year with it....I bought a standard router earlier in the year which is great for rounding edges, making things look more professional....I definitely see a cnc router in my future....Also a welder....For some reason these are easier to justify than props....Especially to my wife.... Because the more tools you accumulate. Then, at that point, theoretically, less cash outlay is involved.....ZR

·
Registered
477 Posts
I don't have a set budget but I don't like to waste money. If I overspend, I'll feel stressed out, guilty and anxious. For some reason spending a bit of money on many things not at one time is okay but spending the same on one item would weigh heavily on me. This year i've only spent $200 plus tax. Just haven't found too many must have items. But its still early. I shop for this years Halloween til halloween day.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I don't have a house, so my decor is small scale. I don't really have a "budget" but I probably spend about $100/150 when I add it all up over the span of grabbing little things from July-to mid October. But I think that also includes my Halloween craft stuff. I usually have -one key item- I gotta have every year, then a few smaller ones. Most my decor is from $1-30. I've reigned myself in a lot this year though because I don't want my collection to overwhelm me. I'm an artist so my craft room already is reaching hoarder capacity. Yes I am patting myself on the back for self restraint, of all areas in my life, I am a glutton for all things Halloween, I really just want it all. :p

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thank you to all for sharing! The different take on how each of us approaches the season is interesting, as well as educational. I think what it boils down to is that we are all Halloween junkies and have our way of satisfying our fix as well as how we deal with/plan those expenditures!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts