Halloween Forum banner

61 - 79 of 79 Posts

Registered
@TerriG you and I are in the same boat. I have not been a member for a very long time, but I鈥檝e appreciated every person on the boards.

I don鈥檛 use social media sites really. Just seems like a lot of hate circling out there. Life is just too short! If you are using social media and it鈥檚 bringing light into your life, that鈥檚 great! I just can鈥檛 support the majority of word vomit out there. Not every idea in my head needs an audience. Just saying!

With COVID-19 still making many of our lives difficult, I am curious what the boards will look like this year. I know our family was impacted too and we are just now starting to return to a shade of normal. The good news is Mother Nature killed our display last year so it was not used. Plan to just tweak things ever so slightly and put it all out this year. Can鈥檛 wait to see what everyone else is working on and best wishes to all that displays aren鈥檛 destroyed by weather, virus, dinosaurs, asteroids, murder hornets or whatever else is coming this year!
Are you talking about the Mother Nature that brought us snow on Halloween? That was crazy. Happy to hear that you will be able to use your display this year.

Registered
Are you talking about the Mother Nature that brought us snow on Halloween? That was crazy. Happy to hear that you will be able to use your display this year.
Yes! Mother Nature clearly is over all of us! Hope you don鈥檛 get snow again!

Registered
I've had quite the change of heart within the past 6 weeks. I had lost my job prior to the nationwide shut down. The unemployment paid enough that I wasn't worrried about losing anything but it put a severe damped on any extra spending. I started a new job during the first week of May (that paid more and further enabled Halloween shopping).

I've bought enought lighting materials to light up my yard as well as a few others if the need arises. I've been combing local FB & Craigslist, looking for anyone who has Halloween decorations for sale (slim pickins usually). I keep looking at the major retailers to see if anything catches my eye.

I had really low expectations after last year and all the joy that has been 2020. But now that there are only 133 days left. THE 19 WEEK COUNTDOWN IS ON!

Registered
I've had quite the change of heart within the past 6 weeks. I had lost my job prior to the nationwide shut down. The unemployment paid enough that I wasn't worrried about losing anything but it put a severe damped on any extra spending. I started a new job during the first week of May (that paid more and further enabled Halloween shopping).

I've bought enought lighting materials to light up my yard as well as a few others if the need arises. I've been combing local FB & Craigslist, looking for anyone who has Halloween decorations for sale (slim pickins usually). I keep looking at the major retailers to see if anything catches my eye.

I had really low expectations after last year and all the joy that has been 2020. But now that there are only 133 days left. THE 19 WEEK COUNTDOWN IS ON!
So glad for you!! Congrats on the new job and better income !!!!!!
Welcome "back" to more frivolous Halloween spending :)

Registered
I have a select few threads that I visit a couple times a week (pumpkin growers, current card exchange, etc). When I have extra free time, I glance through "what's new" and chime in if I feel like it. I have been a member here for almost 2 years and it does seem like the site gets busier the closer it gets to Halloween.

Registered
I have noticed an uptick in activity on YouTube lately as well. Seen multiple new prop videos and more and more Halloween 2020 items and walkthroughs. This year, we can call it what it is... UNPREDICTABLE! @Pablo0714 I am sorry to hear you were impacted financially by COVID19. Our house was as well and my husband is just now getting back to work. Because Halloween is a hobby when it comes to spending, the only thing I was doing was working on sketches and layouts because there was no way of knowing in March how long layoffs would last. And even now that life is normalizing, Halloween definitely has a major 鉂搊n it. Totally thankful to have a good set up even if I plan to spend a lot less this year.

Registered
I check in here a few times a week. To be honest, I usually don't have anything to contribute until I begin my Halloween crafting in earnest and begin finding things in the stores. This is why my post count is so low, but I'm a regular lurker at least.

As far as Facebook and other media is concerned, I've drastically had to cut back on all of it this year just due to the toxic and overwhelming negativity of it all, even apart from all the upheaval going on. I do check in on Halloween centric feeds and such, but the ones I'm on actually don't start getting really busy until July/August.

Registered
For me it is more than the buying of the site and the cosmetic changes... the vibe around here changed too. Maybe it is because of how many left just as much as the changes themselves. Before then it almost felt community owned
I've been here for a quite a few years, far longer just lurking before I ever joined and posted. When the first changes came down the pike, I bitched along with everyone else about them. But I also adjusted to them and found a work-around for almost every problem thrown at us.

I was there for the second big changes when the corporation took over the site and tooled it to basically have the same platform as every other site they owned. They would even show us pictures of cars when trying to show us new and improved features. Again, I rolled my eyes, bitched a bit about the changes, and to this day will commiserate with anyone who wants to complain about the missing pumpkin emojis, a search engine that sucks, or how the Halloween countdown clock isn't on every page.

But the one thing I've never really felt was that the community here was falling apart. Changed, evolved, even struggled with the changes thrown at us; of course. But never did it fell like it was fading into the sunset. Sure, some very active posters disappeared for awhile. Some have returned, Wahoo... nice to see Terra actively restoring her tutorials. Some have not. But I have always felt this was the place I came to when I wanted to laugh at what Halloween haunters do. This is where I come when I need help. It's where I wander around in the archives when I just want some inspiration from people who understand a part of me that others don't. For me, that sense of community never wavered.

There are always people who help me out. J-Man is my go-to guy when I need help with my electronics. I look forward to seeing him post on my questions, because he knows his stuff, and because as soon as he responds, I know a bunch of others will chime in. I've been talked into doing some things and talked out of others. But through it all, everyone who has ever responded to my requests for help has done exactly that - they've helped.

I'm a part of an incredibly active thread of pumpkin growers that brightens my day every time I log on. Frankie's Girl is all over this site making folks feel better about their work or their lives. Kdestra shows up just about everywhere I wander and she's a joy. Bethene... well, you try to organize the Secret Reapers and then say that this community is flagging when you see what she does. At every turn, my experience with the folks here has been friendly and engaged, even if we disagreed on something. Before the buy out or after the buy out, my sense of the Halloween Forum community has remained the same. I love this place. It's a little island of insanity of the best kind in an ocean of insanity of the worst kind. I for one am very, very glad it's here.

61 - 79 of 79 Posts