Halloween Forum banner

21 - 40 of 57 Posts

>^..^<
Frankie's Girl nailed it, it's the slow time of the season and most people posting now are long-time, hard-core haunters that do this year-round.
I am totally willing to post if it means I get to be considered a hard-core haunter. Check it out, y'all - I am officially among the hardest of cores. 馃榾馃挅

Registered
I'm not on here super often but the past few times I've popped in and out past few Mos, it seemed quieter, but I didn't trust my limited perspective to be accurate on that.

I don't find this format to be the most user friendly (even before the overhaul), and am usually am on misc. reddits when I have down time to just scroll the internet. I should make more of a point to doing that here instead :)
Like someone said above, not having haunter friends, I find this place to be home in some ways and always appreciate the info ppl have here

I also agree covid and its effects prob are contributing right now too. Even those still w jobs still are often living a very different work / home / hobby balance than B. C. (before covid)

Registered
I joined about a year ago and posted and interacted up through Halloween and then kind of drifted off. My experience with the Halloween gift exchange was AWESOME I must say. I would say this about the forum and this is just my own experience so maybe not similar to others but: forums aren't just about the exchange of ideas and thoughts about whatever the forum is about (Halloween, sports, fave tv show, whatever) but they are social gatherings, and one looks to form relationships with other people first and foremost. I never felt that anyone wasn't super-nice and welcoming and supportive to a thread or post of mine, the problem was more like...wow, who's who? There's kind of lot of people here! So there's this blizzard of people and you don't really feel like you know, or are known, by anyone, which makes posting kind of blah. No one knows who I am and I don't know who anyone is. Of course the answer to that is: stick around, don't give up, make comments and reply to others' comments, and eventually relationships form in a natural way. But it's hard!
Okay, that was just someone spitballing from the outside, not meant as anything other than descriptive from a single point of view, if you take anything from it, take that the relationships you have formed, assuming some of you are close and have been together for a long time, are valuable and hard to come by! So cherish them.

Registered
I am a member on a few different boards, some industry (professional) some leisure like this one. From what I have seen there is a general trend to move to facebook groups, at least as of now. The reason, at least in the industry groups, is that you can get an answer to questions a lot quicker to resolve problems and the rules are not as stringent. The downsides is that it is harder to check historical data or review topics that might have interested you in the past. It's also easier to keep track of many groups or sources by having them on one platform.

Personally, I can't stand facebook and all of those alerts would drive me nuts, but it seems like the instant notifications that facebook has, which most of the web based forums lack, seems to be a favorite for most, including boomers (hope I am using that in the right context, if not, oh well.) Maybe a better mobile app might help, not sure.

Registered
I love this site. I come here pretty much everyday starting in april/may time to see the announcements of new items for the coming season. (A few of ya know that's mah jam!) I am in retail, and I am also helping with a pro haunt here in the cny area, so I have a keener interest than most.

With the wacky virus situation, I've been able to come here more than everyday. I follow you guys here and a few haunted/halloween/fall moodboards on fb/tumblr/etc.

Thank you to all of you for posting the cool s#it ya do! I really appreciate you all and love seeing your new stuff!
-Raven

crossfit zombie
Ghostdroppings is correct, that was my first online Halloween site I found and after that went south I found this place. I will also say I am not on FB either.
I loved ghostdroppings I found it before I came here. I still like hauntforum to.

Registered
I posted in this section, because it seems to be the only one getting steady interest. Am I wrong, but it seems there is a lot less activity on the forum these days, and I've been a member for years. Last posts are days ago, or months ago in a number of sections. I've tried to get other Halloween enthusiasts to join up, but message boards have taken a back seat to other social media, unfortunately. And although I have FB mostly for marketing, I really dislike it. I hope these Halloween forums remain strong! Too many great ideas and talented people here.
Forums like this is where ideas can be archived and true artistic ideas can be exchanged. The problem I have with social media is it's like a lot of newer technologies it's fast and easy but the quality is lacking. Someone could post something great on facebook one day and in a few days it's buried forever down the timeline.

Registered
Im terribly going to age myself right now but I loved Prodigy LOL That was my first forum/message board I got into and I really show the value way back then with the potential. I found it valuable and that was before picture files could be shared so easily.

Typical Ghoul Next Door
Haunt Forum is a sister site now. It was acquired by the same company around the same time as Halloween Forum. They've kept Haunt Forum more OG than here so there's choices.

I hate that we've lost many long time super amazing members, but the only thing that never changes is that things always change. ;)

His name is Roger Clyne
I never really saw what the big deal with Spirit sponsoring the forum was especially since many of us here are pretty critical of Spirit.

Registered
I spend more and more time on youtube...There are so many people posting tutorials and haunt related content that I'm constantly finding things to watch....This forum is still my #1 place to go when I want to chat Halloween or see what's going on with people thoughts/projects/etc.....Especially closer to the season....Facebook sucks....ZR

Registered
Haunt Forum is a sister site now. It was acquired by the same company around the same time as Halloween Forum. They've kept Haunt Forum more OG than here so there's choices.

I hate that we've lost many long time super amazing members, but the only thing that never changes is that things always change. ;)
If you want to see what a real dead and dying forum looks like. Go to Haunt Forum. It looks like with no software update/not even fixing the countdown timer, that VS is leaving that one on life support.

When Spirit Halloween did not renew their sponsorship it signalled the beginning of the end.
I doubt that had an affect on either site other than some lost revenue. Spirit probably found it a lot more cost effective to sponsor all those squeakers on YouTube where they get a more receptive audience. Why would they sponsor sites that turn right around and trash the overpriced garbage they are trying to push on people?

As for FakeBook. I just can't be bothered.

Soccer and Lacrosse Dad
The lost revenue from Spirit is what I belive started the descent. Who was footing the expense without Spirits investment in the forum? How was the owner Larry expected to maintain the forum, upgrade software and platforms, pay for all the behind the scenes expenses and contribute to his personal finances without a major sponsor? No major sponsor replaced Spirit before the forum was sold in 2016.
The forum homepage once showed how many active users, and which specific members were on the site at a given time. It showed which members were having a birthday that day if they had entered it into their user information. Along with this information was a one liner which showed the exact date and time when the site hosted the most active online users. I may be wrong but I believe the date was in the month of April and it was around 2013/14. I could be completely wrong on the date because I haven't seen this information in quite some time. Did this information disappear solely because of the new platform software, or did it disappear because the numbers aren't as flattering as they once were? How would a corporation market the fact that the most online users was 6-7 years prior. Perhaps a moderator knows, if the membeship numbers are increasing and if these ommisoins are just because of the new software platform.

When the forum was sold, a lof of the close knit family feel of the community left with Larry and a number of active users at the time. The site seems to be so much more formal/corporate now. The ads throughtout the website is what generates revenue now unless you decide to pay for a premium membership and help the revenue stream that way.
Everything changes with time and the forum is still a wonderful place to visit throughout the year. I still think the changes and what I too perceive as a less interactive/busy forum began when Spirit said god bye, Larry sold the Forum and was replaced by HalloweenAdmin in 2016. Was this truly all the way back in August 2016?

And bobby2003 I agree with you fully when you question, why Spirit would sponsor a site whose members trash it. I don't blame them for leaving and supporting others.

Registered
Well firstly, can i just say... Don't despair, have faith! The loyal ones will always stay..

As a newbie here, and one from across the pond, i feel a little overwhelmed by the US majority here, but hey, it's early days so hope to blend in, but you guys rock, which is why i came here and joined in the first place.. You share my love!

I'm a bit obsessed with Halloween to put it mildly, which is what led me here, and in the UK it sucks if i'm being honest, not many people make much effort, the products we get in our stores is for want of a better word, "trash" (hey, i'm blending in already!!) :ROFLMAO: It pales in comparison to what you guys offer.. I try my absolute best to make it a great occasion and i think i do a damn good job, but i swear i was born in the wrong country because i love the states, i love your Halloween enthusiasm and not least, the available options you have for props, accessories etc is mind blowing.. I'm so jealous, I order more things from the states than i buy at home!

But I can already see what makes this a great community and why you'd be sad to lose people. You all have a genuine love for the same thing, you have the info, the know how, and the will to help others with the vast knowledge there is here and that's what keeps you here. Sure, you will lose some people, for various reasons, whether it's personal issues, lack of work, lack of spirit, or just plain Fakebook.. Social media does play a part in most people's lives, and while i have no interest whatsoever in the Zuckerberg clan, if those who want to leave, leave, they've gone to a worse place.

But i have to agree with a lot of what has been pointed out and people will return closer to the Summer months as they realise that the latter months suddenly don't seem so far away. I may be brand new here, i see some of you have been here YEARS!! Which is a little intimidating, especially when you see the post counts for some :eek: but i do intend on sticking around, i've much to learn and i know i'm in good company and the right place to ask for help, advice, and ideas.. So thank you in advance!

Stay safe, and keep haunting! (y)(y)

21 - 40 of 57 Posts