Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted in this section, because it seems to be the only one getting steady interest. Am I wrong, but it seems there is a lot less activity on the forum these days, and I've been a member for years. Last posts are days ago, or months ago in a number of sections. I've tried to get other Halloween enthusiasts to join up, but message boards have taken a back seat to other social media, unfortunately. And although I have FB mostly for marketing, I really dislike it. I hope these Halloween forums remain strong! Too many great ideas and talented people here.

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
7,008 Posts
It's technically the slow time still. I usually see an uptick in activity in the summer (around July) when people are in full swing on prop building.

We have lost some steam with the advent of social media, and it does seem like the last year or two we've had some long time haunters retire, but still seeing new faces turn up and still seeing folks posting prop builds and discussing things here and there.

:)

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I call Facebook drive-by drama. I can't stand it myself. In my fields you need a presence online though. I remember a few years back when around Halloween there were like 9,000 people on the forums. True, this is the slower time, but it was hopping a lot more. I'll try to keep adding to the conversation to help. Times change but hey, I still use DVDs!

·
Registered
283 Posts
Frankie's Girl nailed it, it's the slow time of the season and most people posting now are long-time, hard-core haunters that do this year-round. That and a lot of people are just busy with personal issues at this time. However by August most of the large stores will have HallowThanksChristmas stuff out and there will be a lot more posts by then. Regarding which board to post too General and Props are the most active sections but there is some really good information in all the boards.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
I check in just about every day, but there never seems to be much happening. I even posted a Happy Walpurgisnacht thread ON Walpugisnacht that got only one response. I thought the night of April 30 would be this group's jam!

I usually just check General and sometimes Props. I no longer post if I think there's even a chance that the thread will get moved. I hate that. If I wanted to post in a different section, I'd have done just that. I'm surprised the fun "How Many Movies Can You Spot?" wasn't whisked away to 'Horror Discussion."

IMO, there are too many sub-categories here. I might have a great costume suggestion, want to hear about a new scary movie or delight in a great home-made party favor - but I don't want to slog through every last forum with every visit. So most days, it's a quick peek at General and buh-bye.

But yeah, things will hopefully pick up as we get closer to H-Day.

·
Registered
65 Posts
For me personally, losing my job (company went bankrupt in early March) and I couldn't even think of celebrating when I didn't know when companies would be hiring. I got good news late last week and I start tomorrow. But not knowing what my future income would be had more to do on killing my spirit than anything else.

But after I got the news, the world seemed to be a better place. I bought my first items for the big night (lighting). Of course here in Michigan, the weather is already in fall mode (next two weeks in the 50's).

·
Typing Away
3,550 Posts
I think Pablo0714 said it. There are so many people that have lost there job at the moment and do not have the extra money around to be thinking about Halloween this year. For those people I hope that you will be back working very soon.

·
The Haunting Girl
878 Posts
It's the slow time, but forums are dying due to the rise of social media like FB. I try to check here at least once a day, but I just haven't felt like working on anything due to everything going on in the world. I'm not even sure we will have a Halloween at this rate this year, but also I'm planning on moving (hopefully soon) so a lot of my stuff is getting packed up. Everything is just sort of in limbo for me and I'm sure it is for a lot of other people too.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I think ToTing isn't going to happen this year due to the virus. I hope I'm wrong. I really sucks that we lost a Friday Halloween to leap year and possibly a Saturday to the coronavirus.

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,782 Posts
We also lost a lot of people when the forum was sold & upgraded. It wouldn't work for some, some don't like the look, the layout, etc.

The weather hasn't cooperated with people's spirits either, my own included. We had 2 days of good weather & now we're expecting a freeze warning over the weekend. It's either sunny but cold & windy or it's just rainy/drizzly/stormy here lately.

I refuse to use FB or pretty much any social media site. I know it's a necessary evil for any business now so I get it, but I'm of the opinion that Zuckerberg isn't helping anyone so screw him & his site.

I've never been much of a follower so when everyone jumped ship to FB & I just said "Nope. You go. I'll stay here."

Lost some long time friends on another board that we created just for us. They all bailed to FB & were all "come to the dark side......" but I just couldn't. My thought on only interacting on FB is I don't wanna interact with your Great Aunt Martha or your mom or your old friends from high school who do nothing but post stupid memes for or against this politician or that one. I'm not friends with those people & don't want to be, I'm friends with YOU & don't feel the need to interact with those people which is why we made our little board in the first place so we could post freely ABOUT some of those very people.

We were a pretty tight community too. Had a few big meetups, had a few small ones too, & we were a lovely band of misfits. But they chose FB & I didn't.

So I'm here now with THIS lovely band of misfits instead.:)

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Not a FB person either. I've been dragging my feet about integrating it into my business - but hate the thought of it for a hundred reasons.

1,276 Posts
I'll jump on the anti-FB band wagon. I use FB ONLY to keep a little in touch with family but DANG I don't need to see a post for every song they are currently listening to or where they are NOW having a taco and drinks or what the funky name is for the latest grunge band they're into, or they are on the #9 bus to see the dentist... Really I didn't need to know all that before FB why do I need to know it now? To me FB is a BIG BLACK hole that sucks the meaning out of connecting with real life. It ruined a lovely local Haunt group we use to belong to because the newbies thought FB was the best thing since sliced bread. Heck we can now connect with people halfway around the world in our NEW FB group... Sorry I don't get it, it's a media that is way to hard to do a search for what your are looking for and it's to me harder to connect with just those members you have more in common with within a WHOLE 200+ WORLD WIDE community who joined in just cause it sounded like a FUN thing for about 10 minutes. In the end the old, close knit, knew each other on sight, group no longer exsisted or did the fun things we use to as a group.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Since I started the FB bashing I'll repeat what I coined it, drive-by drama. ;) Huge time waster, and many use it as a podium for their opinion. Too many fights and ugliness. Many good uses though too. I have to use it as a public figure. I'm a Realtor and have sold homes to complete strangers through it. I'm a musician and use it to promote gigs. I'm also a writer and I use it to promote my writing news and books. So primarily I use it for these things, and the mandatory pet pictures lol. I used to frequent a message board called Ghostdroppings if I remember correctly, and it was a rather small but devoted group of Halloween enthusiasts. Concerning this Halloween, I wouldn't give up on it yet, but everyone will adjust at different levels. I'm hopeful for strong treatments and a vaccine sooner than later. We'll still have a Halloween party which is usually only a few close family members and friends, so maybe it will be even less this year. I have a lot of free time lately since my state is the only one not allowing people to buy a house, plus no restaurants open for food, no less music. My wife is a nurse, so she is on the front lines. Tough, but we're all right and getting through it. I regret cancelling our first trip to the shore in June, but we will be going there later, and several times. Hope everyone is well!

·
The Haunting Girl
878 Posts
We also lost a lot of people when the forum was sold & upgraded. It wouldn't work for some, some don't like the look, the layout, etc.

The weather hasn't cooperated with people's spirits either, my own included. We had 2 days of good weather & now we're expecting a freeze warning over the weekend. It's either sunny but cold & windy or it's just rainy/drizzly/stormy here lately.

I refuse to use FB or pretty much any social media site. I know it's a necessary evil for any business now so I get it, but I'm of the opinion that Zuckerberg isn't helping anyone so screw him & his site.

I've never been much of a follower so when everyone jumped ship to FB & I just said "Nope. You go. I'll stay here."

Lost some long time friends on another board that we created just for us. They all bailed to FB & were all "come to the dark side......" but I just couldn't. My thought on only interacting on FB is I don't wanna interact with your Great Aunt Martha or your mom or your old friends from high school who do nothing but post stupid memes for or against this politician or that one. I'm not friends with those people & don't want to be, I'm friends with YOU & don't feel the need to interact with those people which is why we made our little board in the first place so we could post freely ABOUT some of those very people.

We were a pretty tight community too. Had a few big meetups, had a few small ones too, & we were a lovely band of misfits. But they chose FB & I didn't.

So I'm here now with THIS lovely band of misfits instead.:)
I almost left the forum when it changed. I still do not like the new format and sometimes things don't work right. Multiple times I've had ads just take over and I just close it at that point. That being said, I don't really have any haunter friends IRL so this forum is home.

As for FB, I am a part of a few Halloween/haunter groups, but they aren't very active either right now. When I joined everyone and their mother tried to friend me, but I refused. I keep my FB friends list to people I actually want to hear from and make all my posts friends only. I only post once or twice a year and make it a habit of regularly pruning people, pages, and groups from my FB. I never understood the whole having 300+ "friends" that are mostly made up of people you don't even like or care about, but one time you walked past them on the street and you both have FB so now you have to be "friends." I do have a page for my Halloween stuff so my friends can follow what I'm doing when I'm actually active, but I'm terrible at updating it.

I really miss having NHC. It was nice to go to a live event that wasn't too far from home. Live events can't even happen right now so this forum is all I've got.

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,782 Posts
In the end the old, close knit, knew each other on sight, group no longer existed or did the fun things we use to as a group.
This is what bummed me out too.

Kuroneko, do you use an ad blocker? I never see any ads here with an ad blocker.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts