Halloween Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before i delve into it all, i want to say im not sure which sub-forum it should be in since it's not a prop, nor a tutorial. More like a journal. Isaw a thread here where someone (great job) renovated their house to suit his needs so i figured im in the right place.

Anyway, i don't currently own a bar at home and have to make do with a small 2 door cabinet to stock all my booze and use a glas cabinet from Ikea to store the glasses. The last 2 halloween parties lacked a bar and we just had a small table of booze and people helped themselves. The problem with this is 1) People forget where they put their last 5 drinks so help themselves to yet another one to lose. 2) It's messy and hard to track what needs re-stocking. Together with the fact i have, in the last year, discovered that i enjoy making cocktails. So i decided it was time to have a bar, albiet temporary.

Using the 2-door drinks cabinet i mentioned i set about making the structural element. I used left over PVC i had lying around since it is easy and requires no glue. Easy does it.

Once i was happy with the structure and it was strong enough, it was time to decorate. I painted this months ago. I was going to use it in my haunt along one wall as an archway but used it here instead. It's just cardboard, ripped off one layer in places to exposed the corrugated middle bit and painted accordingly.

Once i had finished that i got started on the fun stuff. Decorating! Here is a complete look

Im really pleased with it and it turned ut better than i expected. Next post will show a few close ups of different places.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The name of the bar. The Reaper's Arms

Entrance from outside. (Sorry for blur, camera struggled with the light from outside)

Entrance form inside

Little hot glue

Installed a black light bulb

I used various fabrics to dress the bar. Music and power station. Needs tidying up a bit.

And the goods. Mixers on top shelf, glasses (plastic) on next shelf and then acoholic stuff on the shelf below. Beer etc will be stored in a cooler in a space i made besides the bar only accessible by me.

I stapled a waste bag to the top of the bar, and then covered it with glossy orange material to protect the cabinet from moisture.

Bar's pretty much completed now and i really am happy with it. Now its time to start decorating the rest of the house.

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
6,826 Posts
Very nice bar prop build, but I'd say switch out that "blacklight" bulb for a real one... that is one of the cheap fake incandescent bulbs from the look of the filament, and those things are not real blacklights (no florescent UV, just the colored wood's glass over a regular incandescent - cheap crap that they keep putting out every year to fool casual decorators). They give off nothing in UV that would cause things to glow and will get REALLY HOT and will cause a fire hazard with all that paper and fabric near it if you leave it lit for any length of time. I bought one the first year I started decorating and it got hot enough to melt a plastic lampshade that was used to higher wattage incandescent bulbs, so definitely could be dangerous.

True blacklights would be the curly florescents that cost at minimum $5, and won't get as hot, but you still should be VERY careful about anything near the bulb.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts