Halloween Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Aiming to build a small covered walkthrough for the ToTs this year - nothing too fancy, probably just a L shaped tunnel. The curse of an Australian Halloween is bright sunshine until at least 8:30pm; hopefully something covered will allow us to ramp up lighting and smoke effects.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Start building props for our zombie asylum this year. Need patient beds, redressing of a few of our zombies into scrubs and patient gowns, build more wall panels. Redo voice recording for our talking skulls, and probably a hundred other things I haven't thought of yet.

·
Registered
45 Posts
My to do list seems to be growing more and more every day!! I moved last year just before Halloween so never got to put anything out. I also got rid of a lot of a lot of items before moving. My new place has a much larger yard and amazing foot traffic being beside a school.

My main tasks will be working on more tombstones, fencing, columns and driveway gate. So many more plans including full garage setup for Halloween night but for now it’s to expand the cemetery.

Can’t wait to get started.

·
Undertaker
3,220 Posts
Your columns are awesome! Is that just reg molding on the top? And I can't even begin with the rest. Did you follow any plans for this amazing stuff? Wow.
Well AnnieL...I use cove molding for the edges. The Motif is birch. Each one of the columns has a large individual Coat of Arms(a resident evil theme) and a lantern light on top. I just flatted out the white last night and I hope to start assembling the columns for airbrushing tonight.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I'm not nearly as ambitious as you bunch of creative maniacs. I'll just be happy if the weather is more conducive to yard haunting this year. There were a bunch of things I wasn't able to get to due to two literal weeks of rain leading up to the 31st. Just give me decent weather in October, Lord - and the rest will take care of itself. 🦇

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
I have to get back to working on my stupid list. This year has not been as cooperative as I had hoped.

·
Super Moderator
5,670 Posts
Take a look at this for a path option - it's on my possible to do list!

Allow me to describe my experience with such a path. (I didn't light underneath, but, same idea)

2010. Pre-path, I needed to solve the problem the crowds were tearing up my yard:

Member TK421 had created a path similar to the video above. Add in a neighbor's fence blowing over, and thus was born the original path in 2011:

Staggering the boards proved to be problematic with wee little kids with size 2 shoes, and many trips and falls later, in 2012, I had to tighten all the planks up, but it still looked great and felt fantastic walking on it. (careful if you're going for the lighting underneath route)

2013, it started showing it's age, and I had to replace about 1/3 of the slats as all that walking on it had started to crack them.

2014, another 1/3 replaced, base runners were beginning to warp and bend with years of being walked on, often with wet ground beneath.

2015, new runners. Trimmed the sides with the idea being it would make repairs easier in the future.

2016, Pathimus Maximus...House construction going on, rain coming, giant mud pit for a yard, filled in extra bits with pallets to create a whole-yard path.

2017...beginning of the yard work following house construction, wood path disposed of.

6 years.

Good: Unique feeling walking on that wood path. Well defined path largely kept people from wandering off path. Did it's job in protecting the grass.

Bad: Storage. Repairs. It attracted pests in the off season (bugs and rodents).

So, how do I deal with the lawn damage these days?

A "dirt" path.

Coconut Coir. Just rake/spread it into the lawn after Halloween, it's good for the grass.

I spend about as much on it as I did on repairs to the wood path every year, and it doubles as lawn care.

I cheat for the back yard, and made a stone path. ;)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Well AnnieL...I use cove molding for the edges. The Motif is birch. Each one of the columns has a large individual Coat of Arms(a resident evil theme) and a lantern light on top. I just flatted out the white last night and I hope to start assembling the columns for airbrushing tonight.
They look amazing. Where do you get your Coat of Arms from?

Thanks

21 - 31 of 31 Posts