Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know it is crazy early, but I bet some of you are already planning and making those to do lists. And in sharing what we do, we find people who can help us achieve.

So tell me, how many and what are the tasks are on your to do list for Halloween 2020?

Can’t wait to hear how many of you are already planning!

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Ummm... I should probably start with removing the foam jack-o-lanters from the front hallway and the treat bag makings from the living room.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Like boo who? the first thing on my list is to put away the Halloween Décor that's just hanging out in my basement and garage.

I want to make some small pillars for the graveyard. Get my pneumatic coffin popper working. Reconfigure the motor for my crypt lid. My theme for the 2020 is Year of the Ghost, so I want to try to do 'ghost corpse' pumpkins. I'd like to create something to hide my fog chiller and maybe try my hand at creating tombstones/repurpose the ones I already have.

Doesn't seem like that large of a list, but with all of the other stuff that I do every year, time will run out fast.

Happy Haunting!

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ummm... I should probably start with removing the foam jack-o-lanters from the front hallway and the treat bag makings from the living room.
Is it smart to remove them? We are getting closer after all.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My to do list so far:
  1. Figure out shape of path for side front yard.
  2. Figure out how to construct path. Still have no clue what I’m even trying to do and don’t know how to make something collapsible.
  3. Build path once I figure it out.
  4. Decide on spooky tree type. And quantity.
  5. Build spooky trees.
  6. Figure out how to make a web tunnel.
  7. Build web tunnel.
  8. Build a vulture nest.
  9. Craft glowing vulture eggs.
  10. Figure out how to make stand and feet fo
*** Create candy corn or man eating plant crops for farm display.

Seems like my number is 9. But might be 10 if time allows itself. Can not wait for Easter clearance. Need some big eggs.

**Correction. Forgot fixing that Spirit vulture prop with no feet. Make it 10 with possibly 11.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Like boo who? the first thing on my list is to put away the Halloween Décor that's just hanging out in my basement and garage.

I want to make some small pillars for the graveyard. Get my pneumatic coffin popper working. Reconfigure the motor for my crypt lid. My theme for the 2020 is Year of the Ghost, so I want to try to do 'ghost corpse' pumpkins. I'd like to create something to hide my fog chiller and maybe try my hand at creating tombstones/repurpose the ones I already have.

Doesn't seem like that large of a list, but with all of the other stuff that I do every year, time will run out fast.

Happy Haunting!
You know when you start corpsing and ghosting things it will take time. What is your plan for your tombstones? More moss or a new paint job?

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,521 Posts
I'm seconding & thirding removing things, storing things & purging things from Halloween AND Christmas.

Because as I type this I'm being watched by several Christmas snowmen, a fairly large mache Santa, a stuffed Santa, a stone nativity set, & there's 2 ceramic Christmas trees on a sideboard next to a 2 ft. still-lit blow mold Santa. another hanging blow modl Santa face & 2 smaller blow mold Santas.

Until that is done & I get the rest of the house in order I can't even think about Halloween. Usually by March &/or the cold weather breaks, then & only then will I be ready to start thinking about Halloween.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
If you include maintenance, it's LONG. WAY LONG. I have it prioritized because I don't see myself being able to do it all. I even made a schedule which I am already off because I got sick at the beginning of the year.

finish the new wings for the Green Fairy
repaint the graveyard fence
remake the ghosts dress (she can't go out this year if this isn't done)
make a coffin
do gargoyle maintenance
rework the bell ringer
rework Death's scythe so it doesn't keep snapping in half at the PVC join in the wind
finally get the flood lights that are in the tree down and the rest of the cords put away
Pumpkin maintenance and putting them away
I have a lot of paintings to finish and I have to come up with frames and a way to light them with black lights for the inside gallery
I have 2 new skeletons I got this year but didn't use because they have to be painted first
Maintenance on some of the inside lights and decorations
The necromancer in the front window needs to be rebuilt and relit as she is like 6 or 7 years old at this point
Anything else that comes up

HOW?!?!

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If you include maintenance, it's LONG. WAY LONG. I have it prioritized because I don't see myself being able to do it all. I even made a schedule which I am already off because I got sick at the beginning of the year.

make a coffin
do gargoyle maintenance
rework the bell ringer
rework Death's scythe so it doesn't keep snapping in half at the PVC join in the wind
finally get the flood lights that are in the tree down and the rest of the cords put away
I have a lot of paintings to finish and I have to come up with frames and a way to light them with black lights for the inside gallery
I have 2 new skeletons I got this year but didn't use because they have to be painted first
The necromancer in the front window needs to be rebuilt and relit as she is like 6 or 7 years old at this point

HOW?!?!
That’s definitely a lot! I’m sure you can get it done.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Oaklawn Crematory, beautiful work guy. Every year I try to have good intentions but because of health issues it never gets done, so this year 2020 I'm gonna start right away so at the end of the year I can get my Halloween display up and then get it down and put away and drag the Christmas stuff out. I'm getting very tired of looking at my old Halloween pictures and reminiscing. I just gotta try and get it up. I guess my 1st priority would be to get all the new stuff I bought that is still in boxes and has never seen the light of day just to see what I have. Really not sure whats in them new boxes. I would also have to work on a new plan because of all the new items I have. For me I just open picturetrail to see pictures so I remember how the set up goes but with all this new stuff I have to change things. Would also like to somewhat finish some of these rooms, I need to do a little building. Also would like to work toward the Walking Dead completion. I spent 4 years buying props and such for that Walking Dead attraction and then never touched any of it to get it ready to display. Just got way to much money tied up in that stuff to never show it.

·
Super Moderator
5,670 Posts
1: Make to do list....

Seriously, this is year 2 of a supposed 3 year plan (likely take more like a 5 year plan knowing me), the plan is generally finishing the main set pieces. This includes a fence, pillars, 2 tombs in disrepair. And if I get to it....well, I'm keeping that part close to the vest for now.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I started about a week after Christmas. I have to redo 4 columns for our cemetery, continue to work on furniture for the inside, and hopefully make a giant tree that takes up my whole sunroom.

·
Registered
17 Posts

make a coffin
do gargoyle maintenance
rework the bell ringer

HOW?!?!
I love the idea of a gallery!

·
Registered
24 Posts
I’m going to do a “Terrors of the Sea” theme where I’m building:
  • Jaws section - create dorsal fins and waves out of foam. I started sculpting several great whites using Eva foam, hoping they turn out ok. Have to finish cutting all the pieces out then use foam adhesive to connect
  • Making two octopus figures out of paper mache. Just started shaping the arms, have 5 done so far
  • Skeleton mermaids, will be doing tails using a corpsing method
  • I want to sculpt an angler fish but haven’t figured out how I’ll create the fish shape. I’m not sure if I should attempt with foam, or try forming out of wire then paper mache. This is all tbd
  • Finish making coral reef using Great Stuff foam. I’ve already made 10 on sticks but can’t spray paint because it’s been too cold and snowy outside
  • Make additional coral reef from pool noodles

1 - 20 of 31 Posts