Halloween Forum banner
3K views 19 replies 9 participants last post by  Defenestrator 
#1 ·
I've been experiencing some issues when trying to create / update albums on the forum this year, so I figured instead of creating a build album this year, I might try a post instead.

For 2018 to this point, we've added a new haunt sign, mausoleum, vine lanterns, and the 'witching well'.

All of them definitely still need some finishing touches, and detail work, but for now, they are all in the 'done' category. If there is time in the last week, I'll turn to the small stuff, and see if we can jazz them all up a bit more.

First up; the haunt sign construction:

Skull Organism Rock Animation Grass

Product Wall Wood Floor Tree

Wall Concrete Marble Tile Stone carving

Wood Font Table Metal

Tree

See less See more
#6 ·
Brevity isn't necessarily my strong suit, but I'm happy to take a stab at it....they are pretty straightforward, just a bit time-consuming.

- The frame is essentially a 3/4" PVC tripod connected with 'T' fittings, and bent with a heat gun to appear more organic, and less rigid

- At the union of the PVC at the top, heavy gauge wire was inserted and braided together

- Once this basic outline was formed, the cords for the jacks were zip-tied in place, and pipe insulation was fit over the PVC.

- Plastic pallet wrap was then run from bottom to top, and then received a thorough going over with the heat gun (essentially, corpsing concepts)

- Painted all in black latex primer, followed by a dry-brush of various greens, and a light bit of white

- Wrapped in a spiral from bottom to top with inexpensive plastic ivy vines

Also, if you've not seen it, forum member Oak Lane Cemetery has a
tutorial here for his Noodle Arch that might be interesting.

His tutorial displays a lot of the same concepts and is pretty detailed. While some elements won't be specifically addressed in it (for example, I don't think the PVC aspect is covered, and it uses pool noodles instead of pipe insulation, etc.), it will provide a pretty good notion of the methods employed.

Hopefully, that's not too generic and is in some way helpful.

#10 ·
Thanks!

The well water effect is from the
Waterwave LED ; it's mounted at the base of the well, and aimed upwards. The 'water' surface is two layers of visqueen that I'm essentially rear projecting on with the Waterwave.

The mausoluem video is one of the '
Eerie Eyes' selections from AtmosFX.

Glowing green mortar work is NOICE! Very creepy! Please tell me you can dim and fade that, or maybe change colors?

Thanks! Also, yes, yes, and yes.
:)

#17 ·

Unfortunately, I don't recall off-hand....I picked it up back in 2011, or so, figuring I would eventually get around to using it.

I remember that I got it online from a dedicated props page (small seller), but after searching around a bit this morning, can't seem to find it again. However, if I can find an email receipt or something, I'll definitely update you.

#18 ·
I've had a bee in my bonnet about the lack of lighting along a walkway connecting areas of the haunt...obviously, I didn't want too much light, but we did need something to 'guide' folks along the path.

After a little work with the heat gun, reposisitoning a few heads and hands, I installed these guys yesterday, and think they will help. They're more like sign posts than actual lights, but I'm thinking it will help fill the void.

Flower Plant Botany Floristry Floral design

View attachment 569987

Performance Visual effect lighting Music Stage Performance art

#20 ·
I thought it might be worthwhile to cap off this thread with a few photos of the finished build pieces from this year, and how they looked when finished and worked into the haunt..

I'll be posting a new thread for the 'walkthrough' video, etc., but bookending the start / finish photos for a few of the new props seemed appropriate. :)

Haunt Sign:

Font Darkness Games Midnight

'Witching' Well:

Light Lighting Music Event Magenta

Mausoleum:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.