Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Season's Greetings!

Hi all! I hope everyone had an amazing Halloween. Life and so many other things have kept me off the forum for what feels like an eternity, but post-Halloween blues have left me with the need for some serious eye candy. Luckily, I knew where to turn. :D After spending some time devouring everyone's AMAZING displays, I've decided to post a few shots of my own.

My 2017 haunt was really a backdrop for my annual party. This year, I tackled the theme of American Horror Story: Asylum. For those unfamiliar with the show or season, Asylum was a whirlwind of themes and characters, set against the backdrop of a 60s era, religious-run sanitarium. One of my favorite episodes, Unholy Night, takes place on Christmas 1964, and features a deranged Santa Claus, a Christmas tree decorated with medical paraphernalia, and so much more. I thought it might be cool to have Christmas on Halloween this year... and yes, don't worry, a Nightmare before Christmas is in my immediate future. I couldn't just give up Halloween altogether!

My friends and I dressed as characters from the show, and I served a lineup of retro food including ambrosia, peach upside down cake, deviled eggs, and SO. MUCH. MORE. (We even made a Shrimp Cocktail Christmas tree, with kale fastened to a Styrofoam cone and shrimp pinned onto it like ornaments. I think I'm still in a food coma)

Most of the items I decorated with are vintage. I love antiques, and have a huge collection of random things, but some of this year's superstars are actually pieces given to me by family members. The religious themed books on the library cart were surprise gifts from the previous owner of our home. The cart itself was my grandmother's TV stand. The radio was a flea market buy, and the stand it sits on was one of my grandfather's scores from an old office building. On the DIY end... first and foremost, the back wall. It's a faux wall! Brick walls are a big theme in the set design of this season, so I bought a few brick panels from Home Depot and built the wall. It's also convenient because I was able to hide my very modern refrigerator and sliding doors behind it!

Also, I built faux-steel panels for the walls out of cardboard to give the room an industrial feel, and made the informational Briarcliff plaque from pressboard and foam letters. The double doors behind the Virgin Mary statue (a purchase from an old church) are cardboard with real doorknobs and plexiglass inserts. The transom above them is also cardboard, with vinyl gutter guard to simulate the look of wiring. The window is just a wood frame built around real steel grating with a cardboard embellishment above. The ashes in the ash tray are fake, as are the cigarettes.

I'm sure I'm forgetting something, so if you have any questions let me know!

Attachments

·
His name is Roger Clyne
10,081 Posts
Asylum was one of my favourite AH seasons, good choice! Looks great. I love the "cigarettes."

·
Sleep with one eye open
591 Posts
Wow , fantastic job on recreating the mood of AHS Asylum . The wall paneling , Briarcliff plaque , window and the fake door are my favorites . So many details to soak up , the religious icons really add to the creep factor . Did that radio play The Name Game and Dominique ? Any photos of the guests in character ? You knocked this one out of the park , so much atmosphere .

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Asylum was one of my favourite AH seasons, good choice! Looks great. I love the "cigarettes."
Thank you so much! I couldn't do these theme without some cigarettes lol!

Wow , fantastic job on recreating the mood of AHS Asylum . The wall paneling , Briarcliff plaque , window and the fake door are my favorites . So many details to soak up , the religious icons really add to the creep factor . Did that radio play The Name Game and Dominique ? Any photos of the guests in character ? You knocked this one out of the park , so much atmosphere .
Thank you so, so much! I will share a group photo as soon as I can! The radio did play both, as well as period appropriate Christmas music leaning heavily toward songs used in the actual episode soundtrack. (I cheated a little, my ipod BEHIND the radio played the music, while the radio blasted out static noise. An eerie combo!)

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
I love all of it ! The brick wall is fantastic, I've wanted to do something similar but never took on the project. Yours has me wanting to try it again. Also love the tree decorations, I watched this season but did not remember the tree decor, very nice !! I really love that nun statue holding the cross, Where did you get that gem??? I could see her being great in several different themes. She is lovely but creepy at the same time.

·
Somewhat Eccentric
2,278 Posts
Asylum is my favorite AHS season so far! Love that tree! The urine specimen bottle cracked me up. I found two different versions of "Dominique" at Goodwill on one of their 10/$1 album sales. Drives my husband crazy! :D

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wooww...... Very good decoration! I'll put a manequin covered with a white sheet on the corner next to the tree ��
Thank you so much! I actually thought about making "the white nun" from the AHS promotional material, but ran out of time!

I love all of it ! The brick wall is fantastic, I've wanted to do something similar but never took on the project. Yours has me wanting to try it again. Also love the tree decorations, I watched this season but did not remember the tree decor, very nice !! I really love that nun statue holding the cross, Where did you get that gem??? I could see her being great in several different themes. She is lovely but creepy at the same time.
It's a really fun theme! If you do attempt it let me know. And thank you! Decorating the tree was a lot of fun. As for the nun... I love her too; she was a purchase from a friend who deals in antiques. I knew that when I saw her, she'd be PERFECT for the theme. She has such a beautiful face, but yes, there is something unsettling about her too!

Asylum is my favorite AHS season so far! Love that tree! The urine specimen bottle cracked me up. I found two different versions of "Dominique" at Goodwill on one of their 10/$1 album sales. Drives my husband crazy! :D
Lol! You're the first one to point out that urine specimen bottle. Even my guests didn't catch it. It's one of those little things that makes me smile! Dominique is maddening on repeat: I only put it once on my party playlist. Didn't want to drive anyone insane for real!

·
Caretaker of Eerie Manor
6,636 Posts
As always, your attention to detail is superb. Really great theme, well executed with good props. I always look forward to seeing your H'ween display. Never disappoint!

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Absolutely beautiful display~right down to the little details :D
Thank you so much my friend! The details are my favorite part... big picture, not so much! Lol. :)

As always, your attention to detail is superb. Really great theme, well executed with good props. I always look forward to seeing your H'ween display. Never disappoint!
Right back at you my friend: love all your haunts. Thank you so much for your compliments, I really appreciate your feedback!

Love the attention to detail, well done!
Thank you so much!

And now, a group photo for those who were curious about costuming.
BriarCliffSquad3.jpg

·
Shadow box dancer
1,443 Posts
Dang! I've never seen the show but after seeing this post I need to watch it now!!! If I got invited to a party this cool I'd seriously have to decide whether I'd do my own haunt anymore....... Great job

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Dang! I've never seen the show but after seeing this post I need to watch it now!!! If I got invited to a party this cool I'd seriously have to decide whether I'd do my own haunt anymore....... Great job
Thank you so much! It's a great season, but not for everyone. Some people prefer the newer seasons, but for me Seasons 1 and 2 are my favorites, followed by 3. After that, there has been a massive shift in the tone of the show: some love it, some (like me) don't!

Love it!!!! You nailed it!!! We're actually doing a Krampus theme for 2018 so I'm glad to hear how receptive everyone was to a christmas theme :)
Thank you very much! They absolutely loved it. I kept that part of the theme a surprise (only telling them that it was AHS Asylum themed) and they really got a kick out of it, especially after rewatching the Christmas episode. Play Krampus at your party if it's a small enough gathering, people will really feel the Christmas spirit!

That was my favorite season as well, great pics!
Thank you! I think it was the best: so much going on, and so many unrelated themes that somehow just worked together. Thanks again for the compliments!

awesome job!!!
Thank you so much!

Wow!!!! Impressive!!! Really like this haunt.
Thank you so, so much! I'm seriously flattered.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
What a great job! I hope everyone else who participated (in costume) watched the show and could appreciate the details you put into this. Asylum was my favorite season and this makes me want to go watch it again!

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thank you so much! They were all familiar with the show (some had seen the season in its entirety) but we watched the Christmas episode at the party! As they watched, they all commented on the accuracy of little details that they hadn't noticed in the setup (like the ribbons on the tree.) It was a great feeling! Thanks again for the compliments.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts